Changing the height of my torch while it is cutting a dome

Arclight Hardware discussion forum.
spuninmo
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Changing the height of my torch while it is cutting a dome

Post by spuninmo »

I am currently cutting a 22 inch wide dome and I need help finding out how to set the torch to change height while it is cutting the part. Can provide pictures of the dome upon request if it helps.
Arclight Dynamics Tech
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Re: Changing the height of my torch while it is cutting a dome

Post by Arclight Dynamics Tech »

If you are running CommandCNC the process will be similar cutting corrugated material. Follow the steps below:

10 Gauge and Below:

You will have to run some experimental cuts. Change your shield to Finecut (220948) or remove your shield (optional). Insert a Finecut nozzle into your torch (220930). Turn your plasma cutter down to 20-30 amps, depending on the thickness of your material.

Open CommandCNC:

Click the THC Settings tab - click DTHC Settings - ensure DTHC Responsiveness is set to medium - turn the Tip Saver off - turn the Velocity Anti-Dive down to 0%. Change the Jog Speed % slider to a value that gives you a feed rate of about 100-110 ipm. Lower the torch so the nozzle is .120” above the material. Turn your DTHC to manual and turn your DTHC off. Fire the torch (Torch Off button) and jog it using an arrow key on the keyboard. Watch your Actual Torch Volts and make note of this value after the initial pierce. This number will become your preset voltage in your SheetCam operation. Once you have this number, turn your DTHC back to ON.

SheetCam:

Import your .DXF file. When you create your operation, select a low-speed Finecut tool. Go into the jet tool options (box with 3 dots) and change the feed rate to 100-110ipm - pierce height to .150” - cut height to .120” - replace the existing preset volts with the one you recorded during your test cut. The only path rule you will want to have running is to 0.25in before end set federate to 100% and output code: DTHC off. Post process the job to create an .NGC file.

Run the .NGC file in CommandCNC:

You may change the preset voltage, feed rate, or amperage on the plasma, to get the desired energy density of the plasma stream. Be patient the first time to get everything set up properly; the next job will go much easier.

I hope this helps

-Alex with Arclight Dynamics
djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Changing the height of my torch while it is cutting a dome

Post by djreiswig »

You need a THC to accomplish this with any sort of accuracy.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)

Return to “Arclight Dynamics”