Lead in help

Arclight Hardware discussion forum.
matthewkaye@live.com
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Lead in help

Post by matthewkaye@live.com »

I can't seem to move the lead ins on certain files from the outside of the part to the inside. This is making it impossible to cut artwork. I have tried changing the offset to inside, and also none. I have also tried playing with the lead in lengths. I also have selected to start in the center of a circle less than 5 inches but the torch will still lead in from the outside and destroy the part. Is this an issue with the files I'm getting off the internet? Some files seam to cut ok but most not. I have tried making several test files of circles and triangles of different sizes and still cant make it perform correctly. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong? I'm a new user and would appreciate any help with this.
djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Lead in help

Post by djreiswig »

If you have problems with offsets being on the correct side you most likely have an open path. I'm not sure what program you are using, but that's usually the problem when I run into this behavior in SheetCam.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

matthewkaye@live.com wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:24 am I can't seem to move the lead ins on certain files from the outside of the part to the inside. This is making it impossible to cut artwork. I have tried changing the offset to inside, and also none. I have also tried playing with the lead in lengths. I also have selected to start in the center of a circle less than 5 inches but the torch will still lead in from the outside and destroy the part. Is this an issue with the files I'm getting off the internet? Some files seam to cut ok but most not. I have tried making several test files of circles and triangles of different sizes and still cant make it perform correctly. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong? I'm a new user and would appreciate any help with this.
It is hard to say with files obtained on the internet. Presumably these internet files are in dxf format, and as djreiswig pointed out you may have open paths and/or overlaps. But if you are creating your own circles and triangles and still can't place the lead-in and/or cut path either at the inside or outside of the circle or triangle, then that sounds like a problem with your CAM program. What programs or programs are you using to draw your parts and create your cut paths?
David
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

I checked out the Arclight Dynamics website and the demonstration videos show drawings being created in both Inkscape and SolidEdge CAD and then exported as dxf files and imported to Sheetcam for creating cut paths. I do not use Sheetcam, but I suspect that the problems Matthew is having are related to some particular Sheetcam settings.

There may also be a specific Sheetcam post processor for Arclight Dynamics Command CNC which if not installed might be causing these problems.
David

https://arclightcnc.com/how-to-draw-pro ... ut-a-part/
Arclight Dynamics.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

matthewkaye@live.com
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

I'm using Sheetcam. I tried drawing some simple triangles and circles and still couldn't move the lead in to the inside.
matthewkaye@live.com
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

By open path do you mean and open line in the drawing?
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

matthewkaye@live.com wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:00 pm By open path do you mean and open line in the drawing?
Yes. A circle is a closed path, but a circle with a portion missing is an open path. A straight line would be an open path, but a square would be a closed path. I don't think your problem is with open/closed paths, but more the procedure/settings you are using to create your cut paths. If you watch the video I posted above, it should hopefully explain the proper procedure for creating cut paths and lead-ins in Sheetcam. I am not a Sheetcam user, but perhaps some who is will chime in here.
David
Closed and Open Paths.jpg

Arclight Dynamics Tech
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Arclight Dynamics Tech »

When you're creating an Operation, the first box is which offset you prefer. 99% of the time you want Outisde offset. This automatically cuts outside exterior (red) contrours, and inside interior (yellow) contours. If you are trying to flip start point directions, change your offset.

Return to “Arclight Dynamics”