Plasmaspider DXF files convert to SVG for Inkscape

Inkscape related questions, tips and topics can be posted here
ButtersPlasma
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Plasmaspider DXF files convert to SVG for Inkscape

Post by ButtersPlasma »

So I recently joined plasmaspider to take advantage of the sharing system. I’ve downloaded a handful but I am having difficulty getting them converted to import to Inkscape. Could someone coach me what I am doing wrong or lead me in the right direction so I can use the shared files? When I download the DXF I convert it online to a SVG then when I import it to Inkscape its a complete disaster or only a portion of the file is there. Please help. Thanks in advance. Joshua.
Cyrious 4x8 Water Table
Hypertherm 85 Power Unit
Millermatic 252
Lincoln 140
Ellis 1800 Band Saw
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Plasmaspider DXF files convert to SVG

Post by acourtjester »

Ok there may be 2 problems at play here, and both are around the fact that software packages are not standard in their format of files.
I have used QCAD to open some DXF files and save them using the R18 DXF file version with a fair amount of success. I change the name so I know which file has been changed. I have not used "Cloud Convert" but some here do use that to help out with conversions.
The main problem I see is file size so I don't know if some software compresses a file when they save it. If you have a problem with a particular DXF from here you may ask other if they also have similar problems with it, this will help you ID where the problem is. May not help but at least you will know it not on your end.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Larry83301
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Larry83301 »

As Inkscape is not my go-to program (I use it once in awhile) someone else will come on here and give a better answer, but I would ask why are you converting from DXF to anything, DXF will come into Inkscape just fine without changing it. Here is one I just loaded and then zoomed in on the project. As I said all I did was LOAD the file, there could be other ways to bring in the file that are better but this works.
Inkscape.JPG
Hope this helps. :Yay

Larry
plasmanewbie
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by plasmanewbie »

I'm with Larry. I am not a big Inkscape user but I have no trouble either Opening or Importing dxf's directly from PlasmaSpider in Inkscape. Sometimes I ned to zoom out or scroll around the screen to find the design since it doesn't always open up on the "page" but its there. Good luck and post back.
TJS
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by TJS »

I too have loaded them into Inkscape. However they are super small and it is difficult to find them sometimes. Now I just don't bother I just put them right in Sheetcam if it is a DXF, unless I want to resize or something from original.
plasmanewbie

Post by plasmanewbie »

TJS wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:35 pm I too have loaded them into Inkscape. However they are super small and it is difficult to find them sometimes. Now I just don't bother I just put them right in Sheetcam if it is a DXF, unless I want to resize or something from original.
I have seen that also and now I use the "Read from File" option for scaling when I open the design so it doesn't apply a metric scale making it super small.
ReadFile.PNG
ReadFile.PNG (12.13 KiB) Viewed 836 times
TJS

Post by TJS »

plasmanewbie wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:39 pm
TJS wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:35 pm I too have loaded them into Inkscape. However they are super small and it is difficult to find them sometimes. Now I just don't bother I just put them right in Sheetcam if it is a DXF, unless I want to resize or something from original.
I have seen that also and now I use the "Read from File" option for scaling when I open the design so it doesn't apply a metric scale making it super small.

ReadFile.PNG
Ahh. Thanks man. This is why I love this place.
ButtersPlasma
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by ButtersPlasma »

thanks all for your input! im going to dabble with it tonight and see what I can find! thanks again!
Cyrious 4x8 Water Table
Hypertherm 85 Power Unit
Millermatic 252
Lincoln 140
Ellis 1800 Band Saw
plasmanewbie

Post by plasmanewbie »

:Like :Like
rainbowends
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Re: Plasmaspider DXF files convert to SVG for Inkscape

Post by rainbowends »

Hi all,
I was wondering if I could possibly get a little help with bringing a dxf file into inkscape. I am trying to bring it into inkscape to make the image about 4 inches smaller. when I import it into inkscape all I get is a blank screen. What can I be doing wrong? I use fusion 360 as my cutting program.

Thank you all for any help.
acourtjester

Re: Plasmaspider DXF files convert to SVG for Inkscape

Post by acourtjester »

Try using the Import function and when the screen comes up for you to select the file name, scroll down the file type to find AutoCad DXF R13 (*.dxf) click on that to ID the file format.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT

Return to “Inkscape”