Military Signs - Want to learn

Share, browse, & download dxf, svg, or other vector based designs. If you take be sure to give back.
hazmat446
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Military Signs - Want to learn

Post by hazmat446 »

Hi, Y'all
My name is Eric I am from Texas and I just discharged from the military, I have a welding fabrication background and I am now directing my attention to learning CAD. I just bought a CNC plasma cutter with Fusion 360 and Mach 3. I see a lot of great files people are sharing, but I actually want to learn how to do it myself. I been googling a ton regarding which programs to use in converting say a portrait or a jpeg to a DXF file and all direct me to a pay service instead of a program I can buy. All the videos I've seen on Fusion 360 is mostly tailored to more of a 3D cam environment. Any advice on where to get started?
Sorry for the long winded introduction.
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Want to learn

Post by acourtjester »

Welcome aboard, thanks for your service :Like
There are many free programs that are very helpful to get you more acquainted with drawing your own work. Inkscape is great for artsy type work and can be saved in both DXF and SVG formats. QCAD is more for the mechanical side of drawing, I like TurboCAD 2018 but it does cost about $130. if you look around. With all software some are easier to learn and some have quirks as to how they format the files. Look on Google for tutorials they seem to do the same things but the terminology can be different and confusing fine one you like and stay with it. Start with simple drawings like squares or circles to see how they are sized and moved around. CAD positioning is very important and this carries on with cutting on your table. Positioning things is like GPS you have coordinates cutting and moving is done by where it is not how far. G-codes are lists of positions and CNC moves between positions.
I get a little long winded too. :HaHa
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
ben de lappe
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by ben de lappe »

Howdy Eric! Welcome from one vet to another with a fab background. :-D I was USAF, Aircraft Metals Technology and it gave me an outstanding foundation on which to build my shop/business. CAD was a different story altogether, after spending 25 grand on a machine/software more than a decade ago I soon found I couldn't draw squat. After what seems like eons of banging my head into the cad screen things started to click for me and eventually I developed my own methods to ensure a nice cut file. To me the ability to pull pics into cad and draw the detail I choose node by node with the mouse is the most valuable aspect of my cad. I'm not familiar with Fusion. Those in the know feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but from posts I've seen around here it's not the best for "artsy" type files.
CleanCutCreations
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by CleanCutCreations »

Hey Eric, another vet here. I am a huge fan of AutoCAD. You can sign up for a free student version if you just select a random school from the drop down list on their website. A lot of programs have a ton of commands, but you can get by a few basic commands. If you get AutoCAD let me know and Ill be happy to help you out with some basic commands that you can do pretty much anything you need to with.
robertspark
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by robertspark »

a 2d cad application is all you need really need.

https://librecad.org/

is free and very similar to autocad

fusion360 I struggle with... but I use Autodesk Inventor fine. I also use autocad in my day job plus Revit (also Autodesk)

fusion is nice (I expect) like inventor if you want a bent plate assembly and to cut it as a flat plate allowing for bend radius and bend lines etc

but in my opinion if you are starting out in cad, try to start off with 3d cad

I use sheetcam for my dwg / DXF >> gcode post processing very easy for plasma
robertspark

Post by robertspark »

there is also freecad

https://youtu.be/zU8o4_iu2vQ
robertspark

Post by robertspark »

like I said I've struggled with fusion360 but use inventor just fine

fusion360 and inventor can both do these sorts of things in sheet metal which I've done many times.... but if you are starting out.... as yourself if you really need to.... or you can work up to this sort of thing

https://youtu.be/7hBZ6cFmWjQ
hazmat446
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by hazmat446 »

Everyone I absolutely appreciate all your feedback on this matter. I felt guilty using my last Military pay to invest in a shop and CNC plasma set up going in head first. I am sure you grunts here the very first thing y'all probably wanted to do is make a metal cut out of your branch insignias. I started to do so and I couldn't generate a tool path if my life depended on it on fusion 360, it kept deleting paths do to linking issues. As properly stated it was a free version as a non commercial license. Anyway I've gone to they website, youtube, everywhere I can imagine. Everything was mostly tailored to 3D milling manufacturing. Nothing for plasma. I don't want to be a leech and depend on others to do my work either I am here to learn and if possible make a return on my investment.
I was in the Marine Corps when I was younger 3rd Generation Marine since WWI with my Grandfather, he had 12 kids my dad being the youngest of the 12, uncles fought in WWII, Korea, My dad was in Vietnam and I started back in 1997 right out of high school. Then I joined the National guard and was medically discharged do to a bad helicopter accident. Anyway I get long winded when it comes to the military..
I will give those programs a try, I almost just want to give up on Fusion 360 all together.
Thanks
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

You can do a search here there are many service branch wall hanger, some for special units too. Me being partial to the Navy, dad was in, me and my daughter (she retired a chief) I cut this for her :Yay
chief.JPG

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
DXF

Post by DXF »

You need these - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=28671

Dave Hanks
hazmat446
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by hazmat446 »

wow that looks awesome acourtjester
ben de lappe

Post by ben de lappe »

Guilty feeling/investing in plasma...Didn't know that was a thing. :shock: :-D
Don't know your unit, have a few USMC files and wouldn't mind giving you one or helping you work one up like this or something similar. Give you something to work with getting into the swing of things learning cad and cam.
Fatal Fox_USMC.png

hazmat446
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by hazmat446 »

Ben,
hahah the guilt was because my car need work and instead of investing in getting my car fixed i went ahead and bought a whole set up, 80 Gal Air Compressor, a CNC Plasma Table, and a shop. i guess i sorted out my priorities. I just downloaded inkscape and i think i am just going to buy sheetcam to set my tool paths and g-code. Fusion 360 is way too much to deal with. So now i am just watching videos on Inkscape and once i figure the drawings out i will go buy Sheetcam. if its okay with y'all if i get stuck can i run it by anyone here?
cstroke
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by cstroke »

Draftsight was free, cheap version soon. It’s very similar to auto and 2010. I think it is going to be 100/year? Like any auto card style program there is a learning curve... if you want to learn it you will.
Only way is to work at it. Painful at first but very rewarding...
Im self taught with some help here and there. My next task is to learn 3D solid works so far ugghhhhh...
Good luck
Chris
6’x12’ Dynatorch powermax 85
12’ Wysong brake
5’x 5/16’ wysong rolls
3.8’x10’ shear
65 Ton ironworker
Boss laser 3655 150 watt CO2.
SFX 100watt Mopa
Quicncy 7.5hp
Square wave tig, Multimatics, Miller bobcat efi.
blucllrplt
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by blucllrplt »

Where are you located in Texas? I'm north of FW and would be happy to show you how I am set up and how I run sheetcam. I use Adobe Illustrator (yes it costs $$) but if you are working this as a business then you expense it. IMHO it is head and shoulders above Inkscape with regard to what it can do.

My main interest is artwork so if you are wanting to make industrial parts a CAD program would be best. Plan on hours and hours of practice to get proficient but then it will become second nature.
ben de lappe

Post by ben de lappe »

hazmat446 wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:48 pm Ben,
hahah the guilt was because my car need work and instead of investing in getting my car fixed i went ahead and bought a whole set up, 80 Gal Air Compressor, a CNC Plasma Table, and a shop. i guess i sorted out my priorities. I just downloaded inkscape and i think i am just going to buy sheetcam to set my tool paths and g-code. Fusion 360 is way too much to deal with. So now i am just watching videos on Inkscape and once i figure the drawings out i will go buy Sheetcam. if its okay with y'all if i get stuck can i run it by anyone here?
Shop over car ANY day....priorities sorted! :-D Concerning getting stuck. It'll happen. Thankfully there are forums on this board specifically dedicated to the software you mention where you can ask anything you need.
hazmat446
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by hazmat446 »

Hi all,
So I finally got, inkscape to help me trace, and finally started to get the hang of Fusion 360 and I bought Sheetcam. Well now my computer crashed! Ugh!!!!
Can someone help with these two drawings, I have to go and buy another computer, try to figure out how to install everything. I am sorry guess I am trying to get these out by next week to my buddy in Georgia he is finally retiring from the 82nd.
received_374984823206368.jpeg
20190821_175045.jpg

beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by beefy »

Here's a vector drawing of the first one. The "I" in AIRBORNE is different because I couldn't find the exact same font.

You should be able to open one of these formats in Inkscape.

Had to zip the EPS file because the forum does not seem to allow this file type.

Keith

AIRBORNE_EPS.zip
AIRBORNE.cdr
AIRBORNE.ai

2500 x 1500 water table
Powermax 1250 & Duramax torch (because of the new $$$$ync system, will buy Thermal Dynamics next)
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Alibre Design 3D solid modelling
Coreldraw 2019
hazmat446
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by hazmat446 »

I just want to thank everyone again, sorry for not responding I finally got a new PC reinstalled everything and now I am back in the grind. I was able to desig and cut this out,

hazmat446
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by hazmat446 »

DXF file

2nd_Infantry_Division=.dxf

weldguy

Post by weldguy »

Turned out great! Nice job and thanks for sharing your finished design :Like

Return to “DXF & SVG Plasma Cutting File Sharing Forum”