Dxf mess

AutoCAD and Fusion 360 related questions, tips and topics can be posted here
JaVelin
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Dxf mess

Post by JaVelin »

Hi folks

I have a file that is already a dxf and I'm trying to use fusion 360 but there is something wrong with some of the lines..I used a gap filler tool that solved most of the issues but there is a perimeter shape rhatsb made of something (line segments or curves) that wont become part of the shape to cut out. I can make a new sketch and a new perimeter to make it cut out but seems to me there should be an easier way to make it detect and fix the original file. Years ago I used mastercam and I seem to remember a tool it had that could add all the broken segments together to make a closed loop but I dont see such a tool in fusion or anything else I have. What does everyone else do in this case?
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Dxf mess

Post by acourtjester »

There seems to be a large number of YouTube Videos about Fusion try going to YouTube video page and typing in about the line segment or curves and it will list all the videos about that topic.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
JaVelin
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by JaVelin »

Thanks. I have looked and theres not much really.there is one where a guy is explaining a script he wrote to fix files like this so I've tried it with strange results. The file might be too damaged for scripts to work. Its not too much work to fix it by hand but I didn't think anyone would put up with that.
plasmanewbie
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by plasmanewbie »

Try uploading your file here so we can have a look
JaVelin
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by JaVelin »

ok so that file I can't upload so I was searching around for one on here that exhibits the same problems. Here it is, everything I've tried does exactly the same thing so, by proxy I hope it works, I was going to try sheet cam but haven't gotten around to it yet. I don't know how much of this sort of thing I will do so I don't know if it's worth spending the money on sheet cam just to run these. I'd certainly appreciate any suggestions to make it work without having to redraw the files.

I downloaded a fresh one in case something I did influenced the file. it's from this site from user - trucks1948
loon welcome sign (1).dxf
(166.25 KiB) Downloaded 57 times
Last edited by JaVelin on Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JaVelin
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by JaVelin »

actually, in this excercise, I've gotten 4 or 5 nice dxf's that work fine so maybe its these particular files?
ctgolfer1
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by ctgolfer1 »

I have noticed that since the update Fusion does not recognize certain shapes or text, I have to save the file, close it out, close fusion and restart it and then when I extrude everything gets recognized. Sometimes a new "finish" button pops up on the top right hand side of the screen, I have to see if that is what that is for.

Kinda frustrating!
JaVelin
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by JaVelin »

This file mostly it won't extrude because there aren't any closed contours. all the tools I've tried failed one way or another to close them, my only sure-fire solution is to create a new sketch and retrace all the points with new connected splines. the problem is the file I have is one that shouldn't be altered and it's hard to get a perfectly traced copy. I asked the lady I'm cutting this for to make me some new versions in different file formats I think it's Corel she's working in.
2015cmax
2 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by 2015cmax »

I Looked at your posted file using Solid Edge 2D. Found many unconnected points around the perimeter and then on some of the inside of the drawing. I fixed what I found then loaded the file in SheetCam. It appears to be fine and should cut, at least on my system. The are four cuts that are designated as "Holes" in SheetCam, so not sure how that will effect the file in some other program.

I have attached the revised file and a screen capture of the SheetCam display. I wanted to upload the SheetCam .job file but PS will not permit it.

To be honest, I am not sure what you mean by "extrude" so that's way I just played with the base file. If your trying to scale the drawing to a larger size, that's pretty easy with Solid Edge. They call it scaling. Just select all of the drawing, then click the Scale option. Then simply drag the drawing to what ever size you want.
Attachments
SheetCam Capture.jpg
loon welcome sign (1)-1a.dxf
(578.18 KiB) Downloaded 47 times
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

The term "Erude" is from 3-D drawings where you give depth to a 2 D image. First image is from CAD second is form 123D-Design with part extruded up.
The arrow shows the direction of the extruded and the dimension
extrude 1.JPG
extrude 2.JPG
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
2015cmax

Post by 2015cmax »

Thanks for the explanation. A little confused on how it applies to a flat 2 dimension sign, then I do not know JaVelin intended to make or use the sign. 3D looks interesting. I know the paid version of Solid Edge has 3D but I do not think I would have a use for it. I guess that makes me one of the flat earther types trying not to fall off the edge.
JaVelin
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by JaVelin »

In Fusion360, because it's also or rather mostly, a 3d modeling cad/cam program we can take these files and extrude them into a finished looking part. it also has the benefit of simplifying the cam operations because you can select the face and the part now that it has one and not worry about all the little details in the underlying sketch, the only drawback is these files won't extrude without closed chains and also the single line cuts are harder to do because they don't extrude into a selectable shape or face.
I have installed the trial sheetcam and it seems to be able to provide cut paths for the file I uploaded earlier some of the cut-outs are white and I understood that to mean they are not closed loops but I don't see if that would matter or now as it seems like the piece would drop out anyway even if it didn't think it was complete. actually, sheetcam has no trouble with either file. I was also able to get toolpaths from fusion360 on 2015cmax's file so whatever you did fixed it. I did have to run a gap filler utility on it though but it worked. I ran this gap filler on the original file and I shut it off before it finished closing the 15k gaps it found because the results were wacky
2015cmax

Post by 2015cmax »

I tend to to stay with what I know and understand and to a greater extent what I am learning. I have a few computer programs for graphics, Corel Draw and Photoshop are the big ones, but have not learned them to the point where I can really create drawings. Solid Edge 2D came bundled with my Table- Arclight 9600. Solid Edge 2D is a free CAD program that is really easy and straight forward to use. That Fusion360 seems a little overwhelming based on what people have been posting, thought the idea of a gap filler seems to be a good tool to have. In Solid Edge, I divide the drawing into quadrants and use the fill tool to find the potential leaks or gaps in drawings. If the area wont fill, there in an open path someplace. So I narrow it down and fix it. Then in sheet came the hidden lines or strays show up as a path with path end points, making it simple to locate and resolve them in Solid Edge. I know that how I am doing some of the will seem assbackwards to the experts here, but it work for me at my limited level of knowledge and computer skills. Oh, I mostly use Corel Draw for fonts. It has a ton of fonts to choose from. I create the words using a font, save as a .dxf file then open the saved file in Solid Edge, add bridges as needed and I am done. Works great on straight lines and curved paths.
Attachments
font sample.jpg
font sample.jpg (63.96 KiB) Viewed 1430 times
20171219_163115.jpg
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Software is funny some packages work well together and other just don't, Many programs have the same function but call them by a different name,
The extrude function is not really a tool for 2-D, I use it for 3-D printing or for routing shapes with depth. some software can be used as a work around to get a finished part, draw in one and convert or manipulate in another. If you have one you like then learn how to fix the problems with it instead of looking for another package, you will need to start for scratch with it. There is a good chance that someone has posted a video showing how to do what you are having a problems with. Sometimes changing the wording of the search helps
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill

Return to “Fusion 360 & AutoCAD Forum”