How to trace this bicycle in Inkscape?

Inkscape related questions, tips and topics can be posted here
Jfile
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

How to trace this bicycle in Inkscape?

Post by Jfile »

Would someone be willing to take on tracing this bicycle image to a format that would be usable in Inkscape? Preferably SVG but DXF might be ok. It doesn't appear to be a very complicated drawing but it's more than I can do with my limited experience.

I need it be close to scale (like the drawing) but at the same time, if my finished cut piece is say, roughly 25" long and about 14" high, I need the pieces like the chain, and other smaller pieces to be large enough that they don't burn out during cutting and would make a nice, sturdy wall hanging once completely cut. I will likely cut it out of 16 gauge.

If anyone is willing to tackle this for me, please PM me with a price. I might could obtain a higher quality drawing but I would need to get back with the client to find out the exact type of bike this is so that I can do a search. This is the picture they provided me.

Thank you in advance for any assistance.
Bike R2.jpg
LDR 4'x4' Water Table
Command CNC Linux Controller
Plate Marker
Power Max 45xp w/ Machine Torch & Hand Torch
2 Stage filter, Motorguard filter & HF Ref Dryer
InkScape / SheetCam
CleanCutCreations
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Re: Assistance with drawing

Post by CleanCutCreations »

Jfile wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:37 pm Would someone be willing to take on tracing this bicycle image to a format that would be usable in Inkscape? Preferably SVG but DXF might be ok. It doesn't appear to be a very complicated drawing but it's more than I can do with my limited experience.

I need it be close to scale (like the drawing) but at the same time, if my finished cut piece is say, roughly 25" long and about 14" high, I need the pieces like the chain, and other smaller pieces to be large enough that they don't burn out during cutting and would make a nice, sturdy wall hanging once completely cut. I will likely cut it out of 16 gauge.

If anyone is willing to tackle this for me, please PM me with a price. I might could obtain a higher quality drawing but I would need to get back with the client to find out the exact type of bike this is so that I can do a search. This is the picture they provided me.

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

Bike R2.jpg
I sent it to you in a PM. Hope you like it.
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

The work you wanted to do is fairly easy in Inkscape attached are a series of images showing what to do.
use the lock icon on image size to size the object to what you want, makes it easier to make corrections, Use + key to enlarge areas of object to view changes better.
bike 1.JPG
bitmap trace increase brightness cutoff to 760 then update.
bike 2.JPG
remove fill and reduce the stroke to 0.004"
bike 3.JPG
bike 4.JPG
remove nodes to straighten lines in project
bike 5.JPG
break aparts node to redraw object
bike 6.JPG
Reconnect nodes for complete object
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Jfile
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Jfile »

Acourtjester,

Thank you for the tips. These are very helpful. I definitely learned a few things that I did not know that will help me going forward. One thing that I was trying to figure out, for this drawing or really any drawing. I know you can use the lock key to keep the drawing proportional and then increase (or decrease) the size. However, is there a way to increase the scale of the metal parts that will remain without completely redrawing them? In other words, you see that several pieces are going to be so thin once cut, and you want to increase the width so they don't burn through or leave a very "flimsy" piece of metal? I assume you just have to work each piece one at a time and adjust nodes to make the piece wider unless there is some magic button in Inkscape that can do that for you. lol

Thank you again for the instructions.

Jeff
LDR 4'x4' Water Table
Command CNC Linux Controller
Plate Marker
Power Max 45xp w/ Machine Torch & Hand Torch
2 Stage filter, Motorguard filter & HF Ref Dryer
InkScape / SheetCam
Larry83301
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Larry83301 »

When I find an area that cuts to thin I just select the drop and scale it down until there is enough solid that's the thickness I want. If only one side of the cut needs to be thickened up I just select the opposite side as the point to scale from ( if that makes sense ). And yes you will need to work them one at a time to make the part look right.

Larry
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

The node tool is a great way to very the sizes of items and you can reshape them also. Each node has tail (may be a better word, bubbles) which you can also direct the shape. The is a ruler tool I have not learned how to use it very well but that may help to with dimensions.
tails.JPG
tails.JPG (28.6 KiB) Viewed 517 times
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
robertspark
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member