International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers DXF

Share, browse, & download dxf, svg, or other vector based designs. If you take be sure to give back.
grbabbitt10
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers DXF

Post by grbabbitt10 »

Hello, I am a hobby plasma table enthusiast that has been asked to cut out an International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers or, IBEW for short. My friend has a son that he would like this cut out for at around 24" in diameter or possibly a little bigger if needed. I am desperate to see if I can have someone convert this image to a .dxf or .dwg. even if it was just a start with the detail. I understand I will have plenty of clean up with a conversion. I appreciate any help I can get.
Have a great day!
Getty

CleanCutCreations
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Re: International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers

Post by CleanCutCreations »

grbabbitt10 wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:17 pm Hello, I am a hobby plasma table enthusiast that has been asked to cut out an International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers or, IBEW for short. My friend has a son that he would like this cut out for at around 24" in diameter or possibly a little bigger if needed. I am desperate to see if I can have someone convert this image to a .dxf or .dwg. even if it was just a start with the detail. I understand I will have plenty of clean up with a conversion. I appreciate any help I can get.
Have a great day!
Getty
The black and white image you provided made it very easy, so thank you for that!
Feel free to message me if you ever need any other help in the future.

IBEW-3.dxf

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

grbabbitt10
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by grbabbitt10 »

CleanCutCreations, Thank you so much! I have half of it drawn up but I can finish it so quickly now with your help!!! Have a great day and thank you again!!!
CleanCutCreations
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by CleanCutCreations »

grbabbitt10 wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:34 pm CleanCutCreations, Thank you so much! I have half of it drawn up but I can finish it so quickly now with your help!!! Have a great day and thank you again!!!
No problem at all! I'm glad it's helpful. Let me know if you ever need anything else.
KajunKowboy65
1.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
1.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by KajunKowboy65 »

Please let us know how this turns out. I have a customer that is wanting the same thing. Just seems like trying to put 10lbs of poop in a 5lb bag.. im thinking it would have to be at least 24 in in diameter. I may need to get a fine cut tip to do it. Thanks
jaym707
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by jaym707 »

Hi, I was wondering if anyone cut this file out? Would love to see the finished product.
catastrophicracing
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by catastrophicracing »

I have a friend whos a lineman for the IBEW and really wants me to cut this for him. problem is I'm very new to this whole process and dont know how to transfer it to my solid edge to make the necessary corrections so its not a heap of parts. can anyone help me in this matter. again im very new to the whole process, so your help would be greatly appreciated. thank you
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

catastrophicracing wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:01 pm I have a friend whos a lineman for the IBEW and really wants me to cut this for him. problem is I'm very new to this whole process and don't know how to transfer it to my solid edge to make the necessary corrections so its not a heap of parts. can anyone help me in this matter. again im very new to the whole process, so your help would be greatly appreciated. thank you
I would recommend breaking it up into several parts and doing a layered piece. This would be the three pieces show below. Parts 1 & 2 would be attached to Part 3 (backer). I have done most of the "heavy lifting" for you. Now all you need to do is convert some of the letters to stencil format so the centers don't fall out when cut. Part 2 will problematic - the spacing is too close and the piece will fall apart when cut. You may be able to figure out some creative way to modify this, or just leave it out all together. As drawn, the part is 24" in diameter.

Also, the center if the fist will fall out when cut, so you could add some bridges to keep it in place. Be sure to ask questions if you need help with your editing and perhaps others will add some ideas as well.

David

AFL logo.dxf image.jpg
AFL logo.dxf

adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Tom may have some better ideas of how to approach this project. He does many layered pieces and has great experience in this area.
David
catastrophicracing
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Super awesome, thank you so much for your help. This stuff is a lot harder than I had anticipated.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

catastrophicracing wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:14 pm Super awesome, thank you so much for your help. This stuff is a lot harder than I had anticipated.
Your are quite welcome! Very happy to try to help. What program are you using to edit this file? You might consider giving Inkscape a try. It is free and an excellent program to use for modifying those letters to stencil format.
David
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Here is a quick tutorial on using Inkscape to convert your letters to stencil format to keep the centers of the O, R, P, B, etc from falling out when cut.
Note that for each letter you modify, you will need to combine the inner and outer portions of that letter before using the Difference tool to stencil the letter.

David
Step 1.jpg
Step 2.jpg
Step 3.jpg
Step 4.jpg
Step 5.jpg

adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Here is what these two letters will look like while cutting - with the centers remaining intact.

David
Step 6.jpg

catastrophicracing
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

I was trying to use my solid edge 2d program but I don't feel that its really fit for this type of work. I use it to build parts for fabrication type stuff. I build off-road buggy's and cage type stuff. this is my first experience with the plasma table stuff on my own. I usually build the part and send the dxf files to my local water and laser cutter. so your help so greatly appreciated. ill download the inkscape and try that. can I create dxf files with it? Are they transferable to my sheetcam?
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

catastrophicracing wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 6:16 pm I was trying to use my solid edge 2d program but I don't feel that its really fit for this type of work. I use it to build parts for fabrication type stuff. I build off-road buggy's and cage type stuff. this is my first experience with the plasma table stuff on my own. I usually build the part and send the dxf files to my local water and laser cutter. so your help so greatly appreciated. ill download the inkscape and try that. can I create dxf files with it? Are they transferable to my sheetcam?
Yes - you can save your Inkscape file as dxf and then import to sheetcam for creating your tool paths.

Note that Inkscape will not import dxf files. You can use Convertio online file converter (free) to convert dxf to svg to open with Inkscape.
David
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

catastrophicracing wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 6:16 pm so i downloaded the file you posted with the piece separated into three layers. i loaded it into inkscape but it has some strange circle type lines threw it and the lettering is distorted. do you know that might be?
What program did you use to convert my posted dxf file to svg format so that you could open it with Inkscape?

Does it look something like this?
AFL converted with convertio.jpg
If so, then this seems to happen quite frequently now with convertio conversions from dxf to svg.

I would recommend either trying one of the other online converters or downloading a copy of LightBurn which has a free download with trial period of 30 days. I own LightBurn - cost is $60 for perpetual license - and It works great for conversions from dxf to svg as well as having many other useful tools. It is actually very similar to Inkscape in that it has drawing tools, node editing tools, does auto trace, and more.

David

adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Here is what it looks like when converting the dxf to svg with LightBurn.
AFL converted with LightBurn.jpg
AFL logo exported from LightBurn.svg
You can download your free trial of LightBurn here.

https://lightburnsoftware.com/pages/tri ... re-you-buy

David

msdt323
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by msdt323 »

This was done on my CNC.
IMG_1120.jpeg

plasmanewbie
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by plasmanewbie »

Nice! I would really wish my setup was stout enough to install a router. Looks great Mark.
Dibling
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Dibling »

Flooring Business Owner here. Getting hopeful that this would be a good option for help. We are going a local IBEW and they too would like this logo installed as part of their floor. Unfortunately the detail of this logo is beyond the simple floor guy and as simple as a printing file.

Is there an access location that this logo would be in a DXF or DWG format? The flooring manufacturer will produce the final logo in their flooring for us to then install but I need to understand the file needed which is way beyond my grade level....lol

Any direction would be wonderful as it looks like this has been discussed for other projects. My total logo would be about 4' x 4'

Thanks Mike
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Dibling wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:02 pm Flooring Business Owner here. Getting hopeful that this would be a good option for help. We are going a local IBEW and they too would like this logo installed as part of their floor. Unfortunately the detail of this logo is beyond the simple floor guy and as simple as a printing file.

Is there an access location that this logo would be in a DXF or DWG format? The flooring manufacturer will produce the final logo in their flooring for us to then install but I need to understand the file needed which is way beyond my grade level....lol

Any direction would be wonderful as it looks like this has been discussed for other projects. My total logo would be about 4' x 4'

Thanks Mike
You could start by looking here:
https://www.google.com/search?source=un ... =615&dpr=1

My guess is that the logo shown above was a custom design for the lettering and incorporating the center part from an existing logo design. You are welcome to send me a PM if you need help creating something like this as a clean dxf/svg file.
David

Return to “DXF & SVG Plasma Cutting File Sharing Forum”