FIRST TIME WITH INKSCAPE

If you are looking for help with a file conversion please post it here rather than in the file sharing forums.
tgoyen
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

FIRST TIME WITH INKSCAPE

Post by tgoyen »

I drew this in Inkscape, but I have no idea if I did it to where I can cut it. Is there anyone that could look it over and give me some pointers. I have watched youtube vidoes but it is all rambles after the first couple videos. Thank You in advance. Also my machine uses ProNest 2019 dxf files.
Last edited by admin on Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: DXF file removed - Please do not upload or share commercially available designs
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Re: FIRST TIME WITH INKSCAPE

Post by beefy »

Tgoyen,

please don't take this the wrong way, just trying to point you in the right direction if you want to learn more. I am being a little direct here because I feel you really need to knuckle down a bit and start learning.

Having imported the file into Sheetcam to view it, and the fact that you say you "I have no idea if I did it to where I can cut it" clearly indicates you are right at the beginning of your learning curve regarding creating drawings that are cut ready. Most of your posts since May 2018 have been asking for someone to convert drawings for you, and getting towards 2 years later you are asking if this file is cut ready.

To answer that question it is far from cut ready. A plasma ready file is one "solid" piece so to speak. Example if you wanted to put a square inside a circle and cut it you would have to do something like make the circle a ring so it has some thickness to it, then in Inkscape you would "weld" the corners of the square to the ring so the square and the ring become one piece. That would be ready to cut.

My suggestion is to view existing cut ready files and study them. Especially look in the conversion section where a bitmap image has been converted to a plasma ready cut file. Take a look at Ben de Lappe posts where he has converted a bitmap image and you'll see some excellent examples of what's involved. It's not something someone can explain in writing in one post, this is mainly a pictorial thing.

Sounds like you are watching the wrong instructional videos for Inkscape if "it is all rambles after the first couple videos". Videos will teach you a lot more than written forum posts.

Videos are probably where most people learn tracing, etc so perhaps someone here can point you to some suitable videos. I don't use Inkscape but many do.
2500 x 1500 water table
Powermax 1250 & Duramax torch (because of the new $$$$ync system, will buy Thermal Dynamics next)
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Alibre Design 3D solid modelling
Coreldraw 2019
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

Here is a site for a guy that has about 50 tutorials on Inkscape, the ones I watched were very good.
https://logosbynick.com/inkscape/
I looked over you drawing and there are many problem areas, the letters are not connected. Other elements are not connected these will fallout and not be part of the finished cut. many of the lines are to fat in the original drawing and this hides problems, I like using a stroke thickness of about 0.005". learn to use the fill and stroke function to see the real cut file lines. Attached images show some of the problems, you left them in many groups. To separate things for cutting use different colors for each group it is easier to do here them in SheetCam. They can then be scheduled as different cuts in SheetCam when planning the cut job.
sunday.JPG
sunday 2.JPG
sunday 3.JPG

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

acourtjester wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:44 am Here is a site for a guy that has about 50 tutorials on Inkscape, the ones I watched were very good.
https://logosbynick.com/inkscape/
Tom - thanks for posting this link to the Inkscape tutorials. I went ahead and paid the $17 to access all of his private Inkscape tutorials. He may have them posted on Youtube for free, but I don't mind contributing to help support his work. I will report back after I have finished them - might be a while.
David
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

He actually does have quite an extensive collection of his tutorial videos on Youtube. I think this could be a great resource for those just starting out with Inkscape and wanting to become more proficient using it.
David

https://www.youtube.com/c/LogosByNick/playlists
Inkscape master class - LogosByNick.jpg

acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

We never stop learning, like polishing a car the more you do it the nicer it looks. :HaHa :HaHa
And it seems to make things more enjoyable as we go along. :Yay
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

acourtjester wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:26 am We never stop learning, like polishing a car the more you do it the nicer it looks. :HaHa :HaHa
And it seems to make things more enjoyable as we go along. :Yay
:Like :Like :Like :Like :Like
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

There are also different versions of Inkscape with varying features. I just downloaded the most recent version to check it out.
David
https://inkscape.org/release/inkscape-1.1.2/
Inkscape newest download.jpg

Return to “File Conversion Help Wanted”