do i have to convert a dxf to svg to use in inkscape?

If you are looking for help with a file conversion please post it here rather than in the file sharing forums.
Andy-Lisa
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

do i have to convert a dxf to svg to use in inkscape?

Post by Andy-Lisa »

Hi Everybody! I am totally new here, so forgive me...my husband and I have a Langmuir Plasma table now..yeah!
My question is this...if I buy/download an Address sign file for our mailbox for instance and it is in .dxf form, I can open it up in SheetCam, but cannot add the street numbers to it. so I need to put this file into Inkscape first to add the numbers, but Inkscape requires a .SVG file.
How is this done?
Lisa
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: do i have to convert a dxf to svg to use in inkscape?

Post by acourtjester »

Yes you will need to add the number before going into SheetCam, I just tried to use Cloud Convert from DXF to SVG and inkscape will not open that either. I'm sure another member will enter and help you out.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Larry83301
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Larry83301 »

Andy-Lisa wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:18 pm Hi Everybody! I am totally new here, so forgive me...my husband and I have a Langmuir Plasma table now..yeah!
My question is this...if I buy/download an Address sign file for our mailbox for instance and it is in .dxf form, I can open it up in SheetCam, but cannot add the street numbers to it. so I need to put this file into Inkscape first to add the numbers, but Inkscape requires a .SVG file.
How is this done?
Lisa
I just opened Inkscape then I went to "file" (top left) and clicked on "open" went to folder where this truck was ( Truck Triaxle.dxf ) and just clicked on the file name and then clicked on "open" done deal. This file came in real small so I had to zoom in on it to get it to the size you see in the picture. :HaHa Try these steps and I think most DXF files will open in Inkscape.
I have no idea what you want on your mail box but Google has lots of ideas and lots of them are free.
Inkscape - -truck.JPG
Larry

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

plasmanewbie

Post by plasmanewbie »

In my limited experience with Inkscape it will open some dxf files but not all which is a common thing with dxf files so don't sweat it.

Try opening the dxf in Inkscapse first so you can do your edits, if Inkscape won't open the dxf go to this site https://www.dxfconverter.org/ and it will convert the dxf to svg and it has worked well for me in the past.

Hope this helps!

Return to “File Conversion Help Wanted”