The Way It Ought To Be. Tribute to my recently passed father.

If you are looking for help with a file conversion please post it here rather than in the file sharing forums.
Legendaryduh
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

The Way It Ought To Be. Tribute to my recently passed father.

Post by Legendaryduh »

Hey everyone,

I am not a new user, but a long time lurker and a current college Welding and Manufacturing student at Lansing Community College in Michigan. My grandpa, who filled in as my father recently passed this past year. He was the most inspirational man that I have ever had the pleasure of calling my dad. I am a 10 year honorably discharged USMC vet, and my family has asked me to re create a poster that he had in his bathroom inside of his shop. It was something that he lived by, in his day to day life and unfortunately all we have left of the original poster is a picture. Which i have attached below. I have limited experience with torchmate, but I have access at my college to a laser printer as well as a plasma table. I have done my best to get a good acquired image, as set out in the forum guidelines. Unfortunately I cannot upload a .EDU file from torchmate so I am going to provide a google drive link, and the remaining .JPG image that we have of the poster.

What I am asking from you guys is help converting this to a laser printable format on 0.125 10"x12" piece of aluminum so that I can print this at my school, to post up in my dads shop for my family, in his memory. The original poster unfortunately was lost and burned. =/

I appreciate any help that you guys can provide. this is important to me and my family and im willing to also pay a commission for any work/help that can be provided. Thank you so much for your time.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Rq2cDh ... sp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YFc6RY ... sp=sharing

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Legendaryduh
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Re: The Way It Ought To Be. Tribute to my recently passed father.

Post by Legendaryduh »

i have provided a .BAK and Torchmate .EDU file. This is the best that I can do. Thank you again for any help. I sincerely appreciate it. Also, the hesco and hydraulic part at the bottom are not important. but the cartoon character is. I forgot to elaborate on that.
Legendaryduh
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Legendaryduh »

Id also like to add "In Loving Memory of Dale Charles Warner" somewhere if possible in the same font. Im just at a loss on this project. Thank you again. This means a lot to me and my family. I appreciate any guidance and assistance, again I will pay a commission for any time incurred on this project.
Legendaryduh
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Legendaryduh »

If direct communication is needed. I am okay with sharing my phone number as well for quicker reply times. =] Thank you for any help, I cant say that enough. He meant the world to a lot of people.
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

Here is a quick Inkscape auto-trace of you image. Perhaps this will get you started. I was not able to open your files.
David
The Way It Ought To Be image.jpg
The Way It Ought To Be.zip

acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

here it is a little cleaned up the man is different, I would suggest seeing if the college has a CNC router and do it as "V" carved plaque. Here is one I did for a guy that I "V" carved.

DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Here is the final version of your original poster sized to 10" x 12", with original figure and ready for engraving. I would definitely recommend engraving for this project. The letters are really too small for plasma. Let me know if you need any changes.
David

TWIOTB Image.jpg
TWIOTB dxf.dxf

acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

For those that may want to get into engraving I use Estlcam, very good price ($55) many videos on YouTube (some in German). EAsy to learn I use it mostly for "V" carving but he has other tools built in. It generates the G-code and he also has other software drivers.
drivers.JPG

Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
robertspark
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by robertspark »

+1 estlcam.

Legendaryduh
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Legendaryduh »

Thank you so much everyone for your help, im going to be taking the linked .DXF file to my college and ask the manufacturing department about "engraving" since the lettering is apparently too small. I will keep up on this thread with the progress of the project as well. =] Thank you again.
djreiswig

Post by djreiswig »

Adbuch, I think the guy could use some cleanup. I'm not at my computer right now or I would do it. It looks like the trace gave him a double path. I think he would look better if one of them was removed.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
robertspark

Post by robertspark »

adbuch

Post by adbuch »

djreiswig wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:52 pm Adbuch, I think the guy could use some cleanup. I'm not at my computer right now or I would do it. It looks like the trace gave him a double path. I think he would look better if one of them was removed.
I purposely left it as two paths, as I think he will stand out better for an engraving on a small aluminum panel - but we will let the OP decide which he prefers.
David
TWIOTB Image 2.jpg
TWIOTB 2.dxf

Last edited by adbuch on Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Legendaryduh wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:25 pm Thank you so much everyone for your help, im going to be taking the linked .DXF file to my college and ask the manufacturing department about "engraving" since the lettering is apparently too small. I will keep up on this thread with the progress of the project as well. =] Thank you again.
You're welcome!
David
djreiswig

Post by djreiswig »

:Like
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
Legendaryduh
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Legendaryduh »

Hey david, and other members.

Quick question, what machining process is usually used for engraving? Is it 2d CNC/3axis? Im not sure what ill be asking for. Again I'm a welder so this is a bit outside of my league atm with my current level of proficiency with manufacturing. Ive only ever done plasma CNC, mostly for small part fabrication.
Legendaryduh
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Legendaryduh »

also, usually ive provided a "cut path". Whereas here, theres only a .dxf file. Is this because its an engraving? Again, im definitely in the deep end here and any elaboration is appreciated. I really cant thank you guys enough, this is gonna mean a lot to my family.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Legendaryduh wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:10 pm Hey david, and other members.

Quick question, what machining process is usually used for engraving? Is it 2d CNC/3axis? Im not sure what ill be asking for. Again I'm a welder so this is a bit outside of my league atm with my current level of proficiency with manufacturing. Ive only ever done plasma CNC, mostly for small part fabrication.
2d CNC/3axis would be one way to describe it. This would be similar to cnc plasma cutting, with the drawing/part described in 2 dimensions (X and Y) and the pierce height/cut heights used with cnc plasma cutting replaced with the retract/engrave heights for the cnc engraving when using the typical "air scribe" as the engraving instrument.

Here are some examples.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhYPtYJerYQ
PlasmaCAM Engraving Attachment.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdEG6WBFSDc
PlasmaCAM Engraver.jpg

Here is an example showing cnc engraving of aluminum using a high speed spindle. The spindle is rotating at approximately 20,000 to 24,000 RPM using a small engraving end mill cutter. This process is the same as the air scribe, with retract height and cut height specified by the cnc program.
David

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoKSCTCsxaI
Aluminum Engraving CNC Spindle.jpg

adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Legendaryduh wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:15 pm also, usually ive provided a "cut path". Whereas here, theres only a .dxf file. Is this because its an engraving? Again, im definitely in the deep end here and any elaboration is appreciated. I really cant thank you guys enough, this is gonna mean a lot to my family.
The cut paths will typically be created using a software program which has the ability to convert a vector file (in this case dxf format) to a G-Code file using a post processor specific to the target cnc machine. For example the dxf file might be imported into Fusion 360 to create the specific tool paths/cut paths and then exported via a post processor to create a G-Code file specific to the particular cnc machine which will do the machining/engraving.

Here is an example using Vectric Aspire to create cut paths for your file.

Step 1 - Import dxf file.
Step 1 - Import dxf file.jpg
Step 2 - Select engraving tool and create tool paths.
Step 2 - Select Engraving Tool, Create Tool Paths.jpg
Step 2a.jpg
Step 3 - Save tool paths.
Step 3 - Save Toolpaths.jpg
At this point I don't think you need to worry about providing a "cut path". The guys in the shop who typically run the cnc engraving machine (or whatever machine they deem necessary to engrave your part) will (or should) have the ability to work with the dxf file you provide.
David

adbuch

Post by adbuch »

When you say "I have access at my college to a laser printer", if you mean something like a CO2 laser engraver, then that might be the way to go for this. I'm thinking have your aluminum panel (or panels, as you may need some for testing) black anodized and then laser engraved with your file. You could engrave just the outlines of the letters/figure (first image below), engrave the entire areas inside the outlines/figure (second image below), or leave the letters/figure black anodized and laser etch the surrounding areas (third image below).
twiotb laser etched.jpg
twiotb laser etched 2.jpg
twiotb laser etched 3.jpg
Here is an example of this engraving process.
David

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7emZ098iZ0
Laser Marking Anodized Aluminum.jpg

acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

HI Legendaryduh
Here is a simplified way of looking at CNC, you have a machine that is controlled a computer.
Meaning how the machine operates, for Plasma, Engraving, Milling, Carving, and Laser, ect a 3 axis machine will do many thing. Manufactures have machines that may have 5 axis for more complex operations.
A 3 axis machine can do 2-D as plasma and engraving, where you use only 2 planes. The Z is used for up/down mostly in a positioning to locations, then down to a cut function. With milling you start using the Z for more cut layers and cuts in steps, some look at this a 2.5-D operations. But generally they are completing each layer before the next. When you go into 3-D the machine can move all 3 axis at the same time, and this is more like a carving operation. Many of these functions can be done on a simple DXF or SVG file, and the CAM software can add the additional functions. Adding additional optional tool to a CNC table can expand its use. Here is a video of my table with a router doing 3-D “V” carving simply removing the Plasma torch and installing a router, about 10 minutes.
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Legendaryduh
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Legendaryduh »

Hey everyone! Just a follow up, I do not think Ill be able to have this engraved at my college. Can any users, point me in the right direction to have this project engraved? Im having trouble finding someone/somewhere online to have this project done. Theres a lot of websites for plaques and what not, or file conversions (fiverr) for engravings. But I cant really find anywhere that will do a custom .dxf like this one. Thank you again for the videos as well, this entire process makes so much more sense now. You guys have been incredibly helpful
Legendaryduh
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Legendaryduh »

The Black anodized aluminum is an epic idea as well!!
Legendaryduh
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Legendaryduh »

Looking at sendcutsend.com its roughly 74$ for this project @ 10"x12" on .080 5056 Alumi which seems a little outrageous. Essentially this is what Im looking for, website wise, to finish this project.
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Ok here is a different approach, do you know you can use sign vinyl as a stencil? For painting, and etching attached is a sample of things I have done with sign vinyl to etch Aluminum. As with the images David posted you can have the letters or the background painted (etched). I cut the sign vinyl with a drag knife on my table or maybe you can find a person near you with a Cricut machine to cut it for you. To etch you apply the vinyl to the aluminum and then use Muriatic Acid and Hydrogen Peroxide to eat the aluminum away, about 5 to 8 minutes will do it. Then paint the removed area and remove the vinyl.
DSCN3025.JPG
DSCN3040.JPG
DSCN4084.JPG
DSCN4104.JPG
DSCN4208.JPG

Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill

Return to “File Conversion Help Wanted”