Struggling with cleaning design

If you are looking for help with a file conversion please post it here rather than in the file sharing forums.
ade
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Struggling with cleaning design

Post by ade »

Hi, first time trying to do a design. I'm trying to put together a design to be cut for a replacement grate on my coffee machine. So far I've managed the attached design, but I don't think the lines are 'clean' enough to be cut. Not sure if I can fix this or if I need to start from scratch. Any help would be gratefully appreciated. I tried to get started by converting a jpeg to a dxf file, not sure if this is where I went wrong. I've managed to do some cleaning so far. Thanks

~__#IMG_20220425_0005 (1) (1).dxf

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

plasmanewbie
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Struggling with cleaning design

Post by plasmanewbie »

This is common when converting jpeg's to dxf, having high resolution images to trace from really help.

Keep in mind a jpeg is nothing more than thousands of colored square pixels on a screen that display to us as an image. Zoom in and you will see the pixels, this is what your software is tracing around and the reason why many traces are so rough, particularly on the smaller or lower resolution images.

I use Corel and it does have a feature to help smooth out these rough lines which can help but not always a solution. What software are you using to trace this?

The inner profiles are not perfect but certainly usable for plasma, the outer profile however really needs some work. Attached is an example of how Corel can reduce the nodes and smooth your lines. Still not perfect but better and with a little more love on the attached dxf file and it would be very usable.

Smoothed.PNG
ReduceNodes.dxf

ade
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by ade »

Many thanks, that makes a lot of sense. I've been using qcad. I'll keep learning and hopefully improving the design. At least it's not a total write off.
plasmanewbie

Post by plasmanewbie »

Your very welcome. I am not familiar with Qcad but I would be interested to see your finished design. Good luck.
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

I agree with plasmanewbie on the smoothing. You did a great job with your auto trace. I just cleaned it up a bit and smoothed out the outer perimeter. I'm not sure if Qcad has that capability, but I used Design Edge to accomplish this. I think that Inkscape (free) could possibly do the same thing.
David
outer perimeter before smoothing.jpg
outer perimeter after smoothing.jpg
grate.dxf image.jpg
grate.dxf

adbuch

Post by adbuch »

ade wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 2:58 pm Hi, first time trying to do a design. I'm trying to put together a design to be cut for a replacement grate on my coffee machine. So far I've managed the attached design, but I don't think the lines are 'clean' enough to be cut. Not sure if I can fix this or if I need to start from scratch. Any help would be gratefully appreciated. I tried to get started by converting a jpeg to a dxf file, not sure if this is where I went wrong. I've managed to do some cleaning so far. Thanks

~__#IMG_20220425_0005 (1) (1).dxf
If you would be willing to post your original jpeg file, I would be interested to see how Inkscape handles it. The trace bitmap function in Inkscape is very easy to use, free, and I usually provides some pretty good results. I think that Inkscape could be another option for you for these sorts of files.
David
ade
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by ade »

Thanks, will have a look at inkscape

Joe Jones
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Joe Jones »

The file is a bit rough, in that it is not symmetrical. I suppose that won't matter much if it is just a small grate.

Still, I chose to redraw it symmetrically, so all of the shapes are the same, rather than relying on a best guess trace of each shape.

Joe
JJ-GRATE.dxf
JJ-GRATE JPG.jpg

Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
6” Z Rail Lift Kit for PlasmaCam
CreatBot D600 PRO 3D Printer
12 Lasers
FREE DesignEdge Training!

It is more fun when it isn't necessary!
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

ade wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 7:26 am Thanks, will have a look at inkscape
You did an excellent job with your auto trace considering what you had to work with. The main problem is the outer perimeter, which almost looks like a pencil tracing from an original object. I really don't think Inkscape could do any better that what you came up with. Without having access to CorelDRAW or Design Edge, I think you could do a manual trace of the outer perimeter with Inkscape - and combined with the auto trace of the center portion you will have a nice cuttable file.
David
grate.jpg

plasmanewbie

Post by plasmanewbie »

Hey David, I am impressed with how well Designedge smoothed out that perimeter. The image I provided was the best Corel could do automatically.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

plasmanewbie wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 10:02 am Hey David, I am impressed with how well Designedge smoothed out that perimeter. The image I provided was the best Corel could do automatically.
So am I! The Design Edge smooth function works great, and there is lots of adjustability as far as the amount of smoothing goes. Too much and it will change the shape of the part - sort of like Inkscape will do with its Simplify tool for nodes.
David

Return to “File Conversion Help Wanted”