Jagged edges

If you are looking for help with a file conversion please post it here rather than in the file sharing forums.
windburned
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Jagged edges

Post by windburned »

Can someone please tell me what I’m doing wrong? I use Inkscape to convert svg to dxf, but it seems like the curves and some angles come out jagged. I know it’s not the table, I cut many sample pieces to see if my table was messed up, but it’s not. I hate bothering you guys but here I am. Lol

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Jagged edges

Post by adbuch »

Please post your Inkscape svg file and your saved/exported dxf file that is giving you the problems so we can take a look.
Thanks,
David
plasmanewbie
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by plasmanewbie »

I too am curious to see those files.
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Ok so you know in your drawing some of the lines are saw tooth which is normal for lines that are not horizontal or vertical. this is ow thee monitor displays them not actual shapes. Now for your cut paths you have a motion problem. a straight line in the horizontal or vertical direction (X axis line travel and a Y axis travel direction should be smooth. On yours some are still saw tooth but not bad. Now the letters, to make their shapes the g-code is a combination of 2 axis moving at the same time. If you are cutting a 45 degree line it will have X and Y axis moving in an equal distance in a series of short lines to form the 45 degree line. Ir it is a different angle the X and Y movements are not equal.
You may have a michincial problems caused the axis to not move smoothly, this is fairly common but can be fixed once it is identified as to the cause.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
windburned
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by windburned »

Here they are. Thanks in advance!
tomato.dxf
GardenStakesVeggie2.0.dxf

windburned
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by windburned »

acourtjester wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 5:09 pm Ok so you know in your drawing some of the lines are saw tooth which is normal for lines that are not horizontal or vertical. this is ow thee monitor displays them not actual shapes. Now for your cut paths you have a motion problem. a straight line in the horizontal or vertical direction (X axis line travel and a Y axis travel direction should be smooth. On yours some are still saw tooth but not bad. Now the letters, to make their shapes the g-code is a combination of 2 axis moving at the same time. If you are cutting a 45 degree line it will have X and Y axis moving in an equal distance in a series of short lines to form the 45 degree line. Ir it is a different angle the X and Y movements are not equal.
You may have a michincial problems caused the axis to not move smoothly, this is fairly common but can be fixed once it is identified as to the cause.
OK, I totally get what you're saying. If that's the case then wouldn't circles be the most affected? it cuts a perfect circle. Attached is the top of the same cut, the tomato part itself is smoth.

windburned
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by windburned »

Now I just took the same svg and changed it to dxf in fusion, and look how the S comes out… could it be that it’s such a small file and when I expand it pixelates it? I thought vector ages where able to be resized? I’m seriously sorry if I’m driving you guys nuts. In all honesty I can’t believe I’m even asking for help.

adbuch

Post by adbuch »

The first dxf file looks fine to me.
David
tomato stake image.jpg

adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Your second file with all the garden stakes looks fine to me as well. So I suspect you have some other problem not necessarily related to the dxf files.
David
garden stakes.jpg

adbuch

Post by adbuch »

windburned wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 6:22 pm Now I just took the same svg and changed it to dxf in fusion, and look how the S comes out… could it be that it’s such a small file and when I expand it pixelates it? I thought vector ages where able to be resized? I’m seriously sorry if I’m driving you guys nuts. In all honesty I can’t believe I’m even asking for help.
If you could post your original svg file, then we could take a look at that on as well. I would be interested to import it to Fusion 360 to see if my results are similar to yours.
David
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Yes you are absolutely correct a SVG file can be resized without distortion up or down in size. Now converting to another file format is not the same. both SVG and DXF files can be imported into a CAD program to be used to create a G-code, therefore the is no reason to convert one to the other. Driving us crazy is not the reason for your question, it is to learn how to do project cutting correctly.
Now you question about why the circle of the tomato is nice and the letters are not. This may not be the reason in your case, but what if that part of the table has crud on the track, or it is worn out. You could be running into something in the travel where the letters are cut. There are many things that could be happening our job is to find out what or why. Troubleshooting a problem is looking for all types of scenarios that affect the outcome until you find what did causes it. There are many post here that do just that, one member does not have all the answers.
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
windburned
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by windburned »

acourtjester wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 8:37 pm Yes you are absolutely correct a SVG file can be resized without distortion up or down in size. Now converting to another file format is not the same. both SVG and DXF files can be imported into a CAD program to be used to create a G-code, therefore the is no reason to convert one to the other. Driving us crazy is not the reason for your question, it is to learn how to do project cutting correctly.
Now you question about why the circle of the tomato is nice and the letters are not. This may not be the reason in your case, but what if that part of the table has crud on the track, or it is worn out. You could be running into something in the travel where the letters are cut. There are many things that could be happening our job is to find out what or why. Troubleshooting a problem is looking for all types of scenarios that affect the outcome until you find what did causes it. There are many post here that do just that, one member does not have all the answers.

I don’t think it’s any worn out parts, I literally just started cutting, everything runs as it should, square, level, etc. I’ve made a bunch of beuytiful cuts with zero problems, this one has me scratching my head. And thank you!
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

There is a reason for the letter messy cut it will be found, keep plugging, maybe another member will get on board too.
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

windburned wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 9:13 pm
acourtjester wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 8:37 pm Yes you are absolutely correct a SVG file can be resized without distortion up or down in size. Now converting to another file format is not the same. both SVG and DXF files can be imported into a CAD program to be used to create a G-code, therefore the is no reason to convert one to the other. Driving us crazy is not the reason for your question, it is to learn how to do project cutting correctly.

I don’t think it’s any worn out parts, I literally just started cutting, everything runs as it should, square, level, etc. I’ve made a bunch of beuytiful cuts with zero problems, this one has me scratching my head. And thank you!
I think your next step would be to post your original svg file for the part that is giving you problems. I would be interested to open it with Fusion 360 to see if my version looks like yours. You might also consider installing a sharpie pen holder and drawing your part instead of cutting. This way you an slow it down a bit and actually watch it while it is moving to draw the part on your paper or metal. This can sometimes show some problems that may not be seen otherwise.

David
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

windburned wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 6:22 pm Now I just took the same svg and changed it to dxf in fusion, and look how the S comes out… could it be that it’s such a small file and when I expand it pixelates it? I thought vector ages where able to be resized? I’m seriously sorry if I’m driving you guys nuts. In all honesty I can’t believe I’m even asking for help.
What program are you using to look at it with?
David
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Original svg file.
GardenStakesVeggie2.0 Tomatos only.svg
So I imported this svg to Fusion 360, and then exported as dxf. Here are the results.

David
GardenStakesVeggie2.0.svg image 1.jpg
GardenStakesVeggie2.0.svg image 2.jpg
GardenStakesVeggie2.0.svg image 3.jpg
GardenStakesVeggie2.0.svg image 4.jpg
GardenStakesVeggie2.0.svg image 5.jpg
GardenStakesVeggie2.0.svg image 6.jpg
GardenStakesVeggie2.0.svg image 7.jpg
GardenStakesVeggie2.0.svg image 8.jpg

windburned
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by windburned »

adbuch wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 12:51 am What program are you using to look at it with?
David
That’s my controller software that I’m taking pics of. Myplasm
plasmanewbie

Post by plasmanewbie »

This is all too weird. Your first file tomato.dxf opened in my Corel and looked perfect, would cut just fine. Maybe it is how your controller software is reading the dxf. Have you tried different versions of dxf files, there are many. Fusion will use a current version which will contain splines for arcs, some controller software is not capable of interpreting splines, and will often replace a smooth arc (spline) with a series of line segments to try and mimick the arc. In your case however it seems to be placing the lines in a step like formation. Curious to know if the file I have attached will open and display differently to you. This is in and older R11 dxf format, compare how it looks and cuts to your dxf from Fusion.
TomatoTestR11.dxf

windburned
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by windburned »

adbuch wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 12:17 am
I think your next step would be to post your original svg file for the part that is giving you problems. I would be interested to open it with Fusion 360 to see if my version looks like yours. You might also consider installing a sharpie pen holder and drawing your part instead of cutting. This way you an slow it down a bit and actually watch it while it is moving to draw the part on your paper or metal. This can sometimes show some problems that may not be seen otherwise.

David
David, LOVE the sharpie idea!!!! Thank you so much!!!
windburned
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by windburned »

plasmanewbie wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 11:01 am This is all too weird. Your first file tomato.dxf opened in my Corel and looked perfect, would cut just fine. Maybe it is how your controller software is reading the dxf. Have you tried different versions of dxf files, there are many. Fusion will use a current version which will contain splines for arcs, some controller software is not capable of interpreting splines, and will often replace a smooth arc (spline) with a series of line segments to try and mimick the arc. In your case however it seems to be placing the lines in a step like formation. Curious to know if the file I have attached will open and display differently to you. This is in and older R11 dxf format, compare how it looks and cuts to your dxf from Fusion.

TomatoTestR11.dxf
Thank you SO much for your time. This may be the problem I'm having. I tried your file and, well... just look!

adbuch

Post by adbuch »

windburned wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 3:16 pm
plasmanewbie wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 11:01 am This is all too weird. Your first file tomato.dxf opened in my Corel and looked perfect, would cut just fine. Maybe it is how your controller software is reading the dxf. Have you tried different versions of dxf files, there are many. Fusion will use a current version which will contain splines for arcs, some controller software is not capable of interpreting splines, and will often replace a smooth arc (spline) with a series of line segments to try and mimick the arc. In your case however it seems to be placing the lines in a step like formation. Curious to know if the file I have attached will open and display differently to you. This is in and older R11 dxf format, compare how it looks and cuts to your dxf from Fusion.

TomatoTestR11.dxf
Thank you SO much for your time. This may be the problem I'm having. I tried your file and, well... just look!
This one looks better. I assume you mean "just look!" in a good way? Perhaps you could try this one as well. This is one of the other garden stakes from your original svg file, converted to dxf and linked/joined to eliminate intersections/crossovers.
David
carrots.dxf image.jpg
carrots.dxf

windburned
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by windburned »

[quote=adbuch post_id=210598 time=1653507305 user_id=25490
This one looks better. I assume you mean "just look!" in a good way? Perhaps you could try this one as well. This is one of the other garden stakes from your original svg file, converted to dxf and linked/joined to eliminate intersections/crossovers.
David
[/quote]

Yes David that's exactly what I meant, it was a happy "just look".

David I tried your file and no Bueno. Might be the worst one yet. I'm so appreciative for all your help, what a community!

adbuch

Post by adbuch »

I assume this is how it looks with your controller software? All I can tell you is that this file would cut fine for most tables, so I think there is a specific problem or quirk with your cam software which is making it very picky about the files it sees. The file from Plasmanewbie seemed to work fine for you, and I think he is using CorelDraw for processing. So that may be a clue.
David
windburned
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by windburned »

David it’s a huge clue, because I’m Inkscape it’s only dxf 12 and dxf 14, and with those my lines came out jagged, so the older version might be the ticket. I wrote to their Facebook page to see what’s up. Thank you ALL again! Who’s ready for my next problem? I’m sure I’ll have one soon lol
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Plasmanewbie provided dxf R11 format, not sure which program he used to convert. My version of CorelDraw does not have the option to export in dxf R11 format. QCAD (free to download and use) will save as dxf R10 or dxf R9 formats. You might try one of these formats to see if it works for you.
David
QCad - R10 and R9 dxf versions.jpg

Return to “File Conversion Help Wanted”