FirePit

If you are looking for help with a file conversion please post it here rather than in the file sharing forums.
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: FirePit

Post by adbuch »

big496 wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 5:02 pm I need to invest in some software and LEARN how to use it. Still trying with fusion and tutorials. If you get around to scaling so it's 30 wide that would be awesome. Not sure I have enough steel to cut one that big at the moment. Maybe I can pawn this one off on somebody and buy more. Work kinda fell off with everything the way it is so, I have time to learn and not repeat these shenanigans I hope!
Here it is scaled to 30" side width.
David
fire pit scaled to 30 inches on a side.dxf image.jpg
fire pit scaled to 30 inches on a side.dxf

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

adbuch

Post by adbuch »

big496 wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 11:23 am First and foremost, I AM AN IDIOT. Secondly I thank you guys for helping me and apologize for wasting your time. After David's comment it dawned on me what MY problem was. I was trying to build it 30 wide and the file was 30 diagonally which lead me to incorrect assembly. For some reason it never clicked in my head. So I feel like a total d@&% for asking for help with this. ROK I will use your file you took the time to draw up as I wanted that size originally. This has been a very humbling experience and attention to detail could never be more important on these drawings. Tails tucked right now guys don't hold this against me.
Don't feel too bad! Until I saw the photo, I was also thinking the legs went in a different orientation (not diagonally) and that was confusing me as well. Once I saw your picture, that cleared it up for me.
David
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

ROKCRLER wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:09 am The first file i posted measures the 30" corner to corner you wanted.
The second i made 30" wide side to side..
Nice work with SolidEdge for the 3D model!
David
big496
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by big496 »

You guys! Thanks again for all the input here. I appreciate the time put in. David, what program are you using? I think you did tell me at one point or another. Wife is happy with it :HaHa
First Fire pit.jpg

adbuch

Post by adbuch »

big496 wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:45 pm You guys! Thanks again for all the input here. I appreciate the time put in. David, what program are you using? I think you did tell me at one point or another. Wife is happy with it :HaHa
Looks great!! I use Design Edge from Plasmacam. The program is relatively expensive ( about $3k) but well worth the cost in my opinion.
David
big496
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by big496 »

3k must be why I forgot!
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

big496 wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:28 pm 3k must be why I forgot!
This software comes with the Plasmacam tables, which is why I have it. The tables come with Basic Design Edge, and then each upgrade costs $998. The exception if the Pipe Cutter software, which is included with the $1998 cost of the actual pipe cutter attachment. The only upgrade I don't have, and don't need, it the Metric units upgrade.
Plasmacam Design Edge ugrades.jpg
For someone who doesn't own a Plasmacam table, but who wishes to have the Design Edge software including Advanced Design, then really $3k is pretty much of a bargain - for someone needing this software and who understands its full capabilities.

Fusion 360 and Inkscape are both free and a great starting point for learning how to use cad/cam for these sorts of projects. Sheetcam is very reasonably priced and normally goes hand-in-hand with one of the other cad packages - Inkscape, Corel Draw, LightBurn, etc.

Langmuir has some great Fusion 360 tutorials showing how to do all of your cad/cam with Fusion 360.
Logos by Nick has a nice Inkscape tutorial set for $17 - well worth the cost.

Arnold Rowntree has an excellent set of instructional videos for learning Fusion 360. They are free on youtube and some of the best I have seen.

David

tinspark
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tinspark »

adbuch wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:32 am
big496 wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:28 pm 3k must be why I forgot!
This software comes with the Plasmacam tables, which is why I have it. The tables come with Basic Design Edge, and then each upgrade costs $998. The exception if the Pipe Cutter software, which is included with the $1998 cost of the actual pipe cutter attachment. The only upgrade I don't have, and don't need, it the Metric units upgrade.

Plasmacam Design Edge ugrades.jpg

For someone who doesn't own a Plasmacam table, but who wishes to have the Design Edge software including Advanced Design, then really $3k is pretty much of a bargain - for someone needing this software and who understands its full capabilities.

Fusion 360 and Inkscape are both free and a great starting point for learning how to use cad/cam for these sorts of projects. Sheetcam is very reasonably priced and normally goes hand-in-hand with one of the other cad packages - Inkscape, Corel Draw, LightBurn, etc.

Langmuir has some great Fusion 360 tutorials showing how to do all of your cad/cam with Fusion 360.
Logos by Nick has a nice Inkscape tutorial set for $17 - well worth the cost.

Arnold Rowntree has an excellent set of instructional videos for learning Fusion 360. They are free on youtube and some of the best I have seen.

David
Yep, I started with the GoTorch (baby 2x2 plasmacam). It had basically zero software. I figured if i liked the $2K machine I would upgrade with some software. It was no fun without the software, so I paid $2k for advanced design edge after kicking the tires for a few monthes and talking to guys on various forums. It was a game changer. I loved it right off the bat. I worked for several sheet metal shops and my buddies in those shops come to me to get files. Stuff that they cannot draw or do with 40K machines with very limited software. (granted their machines are industrial grade and bullet proof) But for my home shop, this was a perfect fit for my needs.
I ended up spending total including the table and an expansion to a 4x4, height control, expandable size, (which give you the ability to make your software cut on any size table you build) about $6500 plus my 45xp, which I had purchased a few years before my table, and knowing I would likely hook it up to a CNC table. The software is fun to use, and for me therapeutic...
Until you try it, you don't really know what you are missing. At least that is what happened in my case. I have used several machines at various shops for well over 30 years, and I have found that the software from plasmacam is really user friendly. If it was arduous it wouldn't be fun, and I would have likely sold it and bought my Harley!.
Of course OnShape and Fusion 360 are cool too. I have used both of them. I like DesignEdge for artwork the other software for basic parts.
I end up using 2 or 3 programs to do a task often times..
Doug,
4x4 GoTorch- expanded
Height Control/Advanced DesignEdge
Hypertherm 45XP-
Logan Lathe + myriads of other shop toys
**CAUTION**- "Does Not Play Well With Others" :)
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

tinspark wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 1:06 am

Yep, I started with the GoTorch (baby 2x2 plasmacam). It had basically zero software. I figured if i liked the $2K machine I would upgrade with some software. It was no fun without the software, so I paid $2k for advanced design edge after kicking the tires for a few monthes and talking to guys on various forums. It was a game changer. I loved it right off the bat. I worked for several sheet metal shops and my buddies in those shops come to me to get files. Stuff that they cannot draw or do with 40K machines with very limited software. (granted their machines are industrial grade and bullet proof) But for my home shop, this was a perfect fit for my needs.
I ended up spending total including the table and an expansion to a 4x4, height control, expandable size, (which give you the ability to make your software cut on any size table you build) about $6500 plus my 45xp, which I had purchased a few years before my table, and knowing I would likely hook it up to a CNC table. The software is fun to use, and for me therapeutic...
Until you try it, you don't really know what you are missing. At least that is what happened in my case. I have used several machines at various shops for well over 30 years, and I have found that the software from plasmacam is really user friendly. If it was arduous it wouldn't be fun, and I would have likely sold it and bought my Harley!.
Of course OnShape and Fusion 360 are cool too. I have used both of them. I like DesignEdge for artwork the other software for basic parts.

:Like :Like :Like :Like
I wish the 2x2 GoTorch was still $2k. I would buy one just to use for engraving as I really haven't ever done engraving on anything larger than 2x2, plus the Go-Torch can be moved around on a larger sheet to engrave specific areas - I am pretty sure. They had them on sale a while back for $3k, but now have bumped the price up to $4k. I currently have a dedicated DHC2 4x4 for engraving. But I don't really use it that much (haven't engraved anything in over 3 years) and it is just taking up some much needed space in my shop. I can always just mount the engraving attachment to my DHC2 cutting table if the need arises.

I just took some photo several days ago as I am thinking of listing it on FB or one of the forums. This is like brand new, never been cut on, and comes with PC with Basic Design Edge loaded and working. This would be the table/controller/computer/cabling/torch mount with original software disc, art disc, and video manual. Engraving attachment not included. It's also mounted to a custom build roll around frame with leveling feet.

If I can get someone locally interested, then I would provide set-up and training as part of the deal. I just need to figure out a price that makes sense.

David
DHC2 engraver 1.jpg
DHC2 engraver 2.jpg
DHC2 engraver 3.jpg

DHC2 engraver 5.jpg

tinspark

Post by tinspark »

adbuch wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 1:58 am
tinspark wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 1:06 am

:Like :Like :Like :Like
I wish the 2x2 GoTorch was still $2k. I would buy one just to use for engraving as I really haven't ever done engraving on anything larger than 2x2, plus the Go-Torch can be moved around on a larger sheet to engrave specific areas - I am pretty sure. They had them on sale a while back for $3k, but now have bumped the price up to $4k. I currently have a dedicated DHC2 4x4 for engraving. But I don't really use it that much (haven't engraved anything in over 3 years) and it is just taking up some much needed space in my shop. I can always just mount the engraving attachment to my DHC2 cutting table if the need arises.

I just took some photo several days ago as I am thinking of listing it on FB or one of the forums. This is like brand new, never been cut on, and comes with PC with Basic Design Edge loaded and working. This would be the table/controller/computer/cabling/torch mount with original software disc, art disc, and video manual. Engraving attachment not included. It's also mounted to a custom build roll around frame with leveling feet.

If I can get someone locally interested, then I would provide set-up and training as part of the deal. I just need to figure out a price that makes sense.

David

DHC2 engraver 1.jpg

DHC2 engraver 2.jpg

DHC2 engraver 3.jpg

DHC2 engraver 5.jpg
Man, that thing looks brand new. Not sure how far you are from the Phoenix area. Maybe list there too.
Fishing in that large population pool might get you a catch.
No line in water, no fishies... HAHA!!
Doug,
4x4 GoTorch- expanded
Height Control/Advanced DesignEdge
Hypertherm 45XP-
Logan Lathe + myriads of other shop toys
**CAUTION**- "Does Not Play Well With Others" :)
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Doug - yes it is basically brand new. I'm sort of on the fence about getting rid of it. Don't you just know that as soon as I get rid of it, I will want to do some large engraving and it is certainly convenient to have it set up and ready to go, as opposed to having to swap out the torch on my other table. John Derby had a pretty slick setup he built where he had the torch and the engraver mounted at the same time.

David
big496
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by big496 »

From the sounds of things, you guys have several years on me, or you started this stuff earlier in life than I did. I am currently getting my new shop set up and hope to be moved in by the end of the week. NO MORE RENTING!!! With that being said, I am hoping to shift my scope of work a little and incorporate the table much more.

Mr. Rountree's videos are really good, and I am glad you turned me on to those a few weeks back. I think I have made it to the 4th installment. When I have the time to dedicate, I perform the steps from the beginning before moving to the next block of instruction. I'm slowly retaining the steps as long as I do not go more than a few days between sessions.

That 4x4 rig you have looks nice! Unless you need the space or money why sell it? It doesn't cost anything to keep and like you said, you sell it, you'll need it for something.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

big496 wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:54 pm From the sounds of things, you guys have several years on me, or you started this stuff earlier in life than I did. I am currently getting my new shop set up and hope to be moved in by the end of the week. NO MORE RENTING!!! With that being said, I am hoping to shift my scope of work a little and incorporate the table much more.

Mr. Rountree's videos are really good, and I am glad you turned me on to those a few weeks back. I think I have made it to the 4th installment. When I have the time to dedicate, I perform the steps from the beginning before moving to the next block of instruction. I'm slowly retaining the steps as long as I do not go more than a few days between sessions.

That 4x4 rig you have looks nice! Unless you need the space or money why sell it? It doesn't cost anything to keep and like you said, you sell it, you'll need it for something.
I just turned 72, and bought my first cnc plasma cutting table just over 5 years ago. So perhaps it is me who is getting off to a late start. I am happy to hear that you are enjoying Arnold's Fusion 360 tutorials. I went thru them several times several years ago. I would watch one, then try to do it on my own, and then re-watch to see where I went wrong with each particular part. After that, I found some other 3D parts drawings on the internet and started on those. I think I downloaded about 20 practice parts, and did maybe about half of them. I will see if I can find the practice drawings and post them if you are interested.

But you are right - if you step away for too long then you have to play catch-up to get back up to speed. With regard to the Plasmacam DHC2 4x4 - it is more about trying to recover some shop space, but the fact that I haven't used it in over 3 years and that it is worth a good chunk of change is also a consideration. I've got about $9k into it (table, computer, support frame) and I could see someone maybe paying $7k or so for a local person, particularly since I would set it up and train them at no additional charge or cost to them. Just thinking out loud here - sometimes we call that "bench racing".

That is great that you are getting your own shop setup, and no more renting. I've been in the same shop for close to 40 years now - and I built and expanded it as I went along and funds permitted. Be sure to send us some photos once you get all moved in and set up.

David

David
big496
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by big496 »

I'm half your speed and got my table in late March. Any learning aid that you can reference I'll be happy to take a look at. I can do before and after of the "shop" which, is really nothing more than an oversized two car garage. The fact I will no longer be paying rent and having to deal with other people's nonsense is worth its weight in gold.

As far as your keep or sell situation, it sounds like the sale is justifiable. You could do some damage elsewhere for 6-7k. I know I could!
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Here are some additional practice parts for Fusion 360. Some are pretty easy, and some are more challenging. If you are able to work your way thru all of Arnold's lessons, and then are able to successfully create 3D solid models for these, then I would say you are pretty much an "expert" as far as creating individual solid models goes.

David

https://photos.app.goo.gl/DfJfYyHozNJWnmG27
Fusion 360 practice drawing files.jpg

Return to “File Conversion Help Wanted”