Is there a way to clean up double lines faster...

If you are looking for help with a file conversion please post it here rather than in the file sharing forums.
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Is there a way to clean up double lines faster...

Post by adbuch »

Maybe add some bridges like this. What do you think?
David
tiger with bridges.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

adbuch

Post by adbuch »

The breaks in the outline could be repositioned to suite your taste.
David
welcome class roger ludlowe.svg image.jpg
welcome class roger ludlowe.svg
welcome class roger ludlowe.dxf

TJS
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by TJS »

Yes. I am going to go back and add bridges just like that. Thanks
Joe Jones
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Joe Jones »

TJS wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 8:26 pm Ok. I remembered I had a jump drive I got from RHM(Robin Hill Machine) a few years back. I found a "cat". Here is my sign. I however think the cat will fall out.
T.J.

reunionsign.svg
Yes, the cat as drawn above, will fall out. With plasma cutting you cannot have "islands." Those are bits of a design that are not physically connected to all of the other parts.

One solution to this would be to cut the rectangle sign with the text falling out as stencil pieces, but leave the area where the tiger face is located as solid sheet metal. Then cut the tiger as a separate piece, and attach it to the front of the black sheet metal. Look at your design, and imagine that the tiger face is a separate piece of metal painted WHITE, and attached tot he black background. now the "island" problem is solved.

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
6” Z Rail Lift Kit for PlasmaCam
CreatBot D600 PRO 3D Printer
12 Lasers
FREE DesignEdge Training!

It is more fun when it isn't necessary!
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

TJS wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:59 pm Yes. I am going to go back and add bridges just like that. Thanks
I would not add bridges. You can cut a silhouette of the cat just a bit larger, or even the same size, and paint it black. Then cut the cat face and lay it over the black background, to remove the issue of islands. However SOME DESIGNS will have islands as a positive or negative image. That is when you cut the pieces individually and use VHB tape ("Alien Tape") to attach them to the main piece.

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
6” Z Rail Lift Kit for PlasmaCam
CreatBot D600 PRO 3D Printer
12 Lasers
FREE DesignEdge Training!

It is more fun when it isn't necessary!
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

TJS wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:59 pm Yes. I am going to go back and add bridges just like that. Thanks
I'll be anxious to see what you come up with.
David
TJS

Post by TJS »

Ya. No tape or layering here cause I am not going to be the gate keeper of this sign. Giving it to the organizers. I will hopefully cut this sign out within the week or so and make a separate post of the outcome.
I really appreciate everybody's help with this. This is what makes the form and community so great.

Meanwhile I got some welding/repair jobs I need to get to. I don't know how someone can crack a 10" tall I beam with .500"+ webs almost in half (base of a commercial log splitter). Well I do know, employee abuse. I will also cut out some 3/8" plates for this on my table.

T.J.
rdj357
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by rdj357 »

adbuch wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 8:01 pm Robert - I tried your method using the original file (opened with Inkscape and saved as dxf for import to DE). Which program did you use to convert the original svg to dxf for editing with Design Edge?
Thanks,
David

This is the file I started with.
I used Vinylmaster to import the SVG and export a DXF
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

rdj357 wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:20 am
adbuch wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 8:01 pm Robert - I tried your method using the original file (opened with Inkscape and saved as dxf for import to DE). Which program did you use to convert the original svg to dxf for editing with Design Edge?
Thanks,
David

This is the file I started with.
I used Vinylmaster to import the SVG and export a DXF
OK. I will try that.
Thanks,
David
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Robert - it still didn't work for me. Here is the svg from VinylMaster. I just imported and exported from VM. Is there another approach I am missing?
Thanks,
David

The image below was from DE after joining and then using the select tool to select and delete all open paths.
tigertest from VM.dxf
still didn't work for me.jpg

rdj357

Post by rdj357 »

adbuch wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:31 am Robert - it still didn't work for me. Here is the svg from VinylMaster. I just imported and exported from VM. Is there another approach I am missing?
Thanks,
David

The image below was from DE after joining and then using the select tool to select and delete all open paths.
tigertest from VM.dxf
If you have anything other than 0's put in for delete overlapping and gap to jump AND you have 'link segments' chosen in the import window then it will apply those settings at the same time it imports. One of my class sermons is to always have zeroes in those boxes unless you are intentionally changing them to fix something or they will make changes you don't see or forget about.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

rdj357 wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 12:58 pm
adbuch wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:31 am Robert - it still didn't work for me. Here is the svg from VinylMaster. I just imported and exported from VM. Is there another approach I am missing?
Thanks,
David

tigertest from VM.dxf
If you have anything other than 0's put in for delete overlapping and gap to jump AND you have 'link segments' chosen in the import window then it will apply those settings at the same time it imports. One of my class sermons is to always have zeroes in those boxes unless you are intentionally changing them to fix something or they will make changes you don't see or forget about.
Robert - thanks for that tip. I have heard you say that you keep them set to zeros normally to prevent unwanted linking results, but I didn't realize that the setting applied to importing and I did not realize that they were shown in the import window. When I "import" a dxf, I just double click on the desktop icon for the dxf and it DE immediately opens it, so I never see the "import" window. I will check this out.

Thanks again,
David
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

rdj357 wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 12:58 pm If you have anything other than 0's put in for delete overlapping and gap to jump AND you have 'link segments' chosen in the import window then it will apply those settings at the same time it imports. One of my class sermons is to always have zeroes in those boxes unless you are intentionally changing them to fix something or they will make changes you don't see or forget about.
Robert, I have tried this several ways and still no luck. I imported the original file to VM, exported as dxf, imported the dxf to Design Edge, and here are my results below.
Tigertest 1.jpg
Tigertest 8.jpg
Tigertest 2.jpg
Tigertest 3.jpg
Tigertest 4.jpg
Tigertest 5.jpg
Tigertest 6.jpg
Tigertest 7.jpg
Here is the original file I used.
tigertest.svg
And here is the dxf from VinylMaster.
Tigertest from VM.dxf
So I don't see how half the paths could be open and the other half closed. I must be missing something here.
This is not important for the specific file from OP, but is a chance for me to learn another valuable technique with Design Edge.

I don't understand how you were able to have the overlying duplicate paths be open while those "duplicate" paths were closed. Was there something special you did when you converted from svg to dxf with VinylMaster?

Thanks,
David

rdj357

Post by rdj357 »

I wish it was something that simple LOL - It seems I didn't take my own advice and had left a number in one of those and when I imported it the first time, it broke one set of all the paths except that one stripe on the right where it broke both. I can't replicate it because I changed/cleared those settings since then! OOPS lol - Guess sometimes it is better to be lucky than good!
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Thanks Robert! I'm glad to hear that, since I just couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong.
David
TJS

Post by TJS »

Hey everybody. I have found a lot of these converted files that looks like you are modiftying in design or something different when I open them in inkscape the node count is huge especially the tiger. I do a "Simplify" and it cleans this up a lot. Just something to think about for others that use inkscape. We all know the less nodes the smoother the cut. Thanks again for all your help.
T.J.
Oh, the log splitter project. Done. 12 hours total (outside 90 degree heat). Cut out (2) 3/8" fish plates. That was the least of the battle. The battle was bending the 8inch tall or so beam back into position so the pusher carriage can slide. And filling in the crack. What a mess.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

TJ - I agree - less nodes is usually better as long as you can keep the original shape. I have found that sometimes Simplify works well, and other times it changes the shape. I think that you might have mentioned something about the numerical factor for the Inkscape Simplify tool. That is something that I have not looked into yet. With Design Edge, the equivalent tool is called "Smooth" and you enter the smoothing factor before executing the command.

Gad to hear you've finished your log splitter. That 90 degrees would be considered mild here in Arizona, but I expect you have high humidity which make it seem much hotter.

Thanks for the update.

David
TJS

Post by TJS »

Thanks David. I agree. Sometimes performing a simplify will alter the shape for me in other cases.
Yes humidity was high.
TJS

Post by TJS »

Ok I did a test cut so I can adjust anything for the big sign, in this case there was kind of a loop causing just a tiny circle. I fixed it on this cut out manually with a dremmel but also fixed the drawing.. This will be given away at the reunion as they have other prizes as well so it does not go to waste. I did have to fix this cut out. There was a weird node causing a little round hole next to the upper left side. I blended it in with the dremmel.
I did also fix the drawing. School colors were Orange and Black. I back it with plastic. Not sure why the pic is skewed. Must have happened with I resized it.
T.J.
testtiger.jpg

Last edited by TJS on Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
TJS

Post by TJS »

NM
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

TJS wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:51 am Ok I did a test cut so I can adjust anything for the big sign, in this case there was kind of a loop causing just a tiny circle. I fixed it on this cut out manually with a dremmel but also fixed the drawing.. This will be given away at the reunion as they have other prizes as well so it does not go to waste. I did have to fix this cut out. There was a weird node causing a little round hole next to the upper left side. I blended it in with the dremmel.
I did also fix the drawing. School colors were Orange and Black. I back it with plastic. Not sure why the pic is skewed. Must have happened with I resized it.
T.J.
testtiger.jpg
This looks great! Thanks for showing your result. I would be interested to see the file you used to cut this one.
David
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

TJS wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:52 amNM
NM? Not sure what this means.
David
TJS

Post by TJS »

No Message. Somehow I mistakenly replied to my own post when I was trying to edit it.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

TJ - I'd still be interested to see the file you used for cutting that part if you'd care to share it. Just curious to see how you ended up editing it.
Thanks,
David
TJS

Post by TJS »

David,
I will post it hopefully tonite from my laptop. Thanks.

Return to “File Conversion Help Wanted”