Help Needed

If you are looking for help with a file conversion please post it here rather than in the file sharing forums.
RONWB
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Help Needed

Post by RONWB »

I am new to this and do not know how to transfer and image into a DXF file. Can some one lease help me out? Also if someone could tell me how to do it , it would be greatly appreciated.

The black lines would be the cut out.

Thank you in advance.

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Help Needed

Post by adbuch »

Ron,
Depending on your requirement for image fidelity, using an auto trace as shown below may be sufficient.
auto trace 1.jpg
auto trace 2.jpg
auto trace 3.jpg
auto trace 4.jpg
The resolution of your supplied image is around 700 x 400. If you had this image at much higher resolution, then an auto trace would yield a better result.

If I were doing it, I would do a manual trace of the non-text portion and add create new text using a font that is close to the original. Or worst case, if you are ok with the drawing portion of the auto trace, then I would type in new text and stencil the letters A, O, P, etc. to keep the centers from falling out when cut.

David

adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Here is the dxf for the auto trace. You can take a look to see what I am talking about. I will get back to this later this evening and show you how to clean this up into a nice cuttable file.
David
Backyard Venue .dxf

RONWB

Post by RONWB »

David,
Thank you so much for help. Actually mine name is Casey we just took over the business a couple of months ago from my uncle so we haven't switched everything over to our names yet. The only software he ever used was Design Edge so I don't know much about how transfer stuff from a picture to DXF. I do however know how to edit in design edge when I get it there. I would like to find a video or zoom or something to teach me how to do these things though.

Thank you,
Casey
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Hi Casey,
Yes - I use Design Edge as well, but have better luck doing auto trace with Inkscape. You could do the whole thing using Design Edge as well. Do you have Advanced Design? or Basic Design?
David
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Casey - it would make it easier if you knew the name of the font. If not, then one approach is to look thru all the Design Edge and Windows fonts and try to fine one that is close. If you had a higher resolution image, then we could manually trace the letters - but more work.

I assume you will be cutting this for a sign as a Negative? (stencil effect).

How close to you need the lettering to the original style?
candara light font 1.jpg

RONWB

Post by RONWB »

Basic. I don't even have Inkscape does that help a lot? My uncle was not very tech savvy so he didn't teach very much. I'm self taught by trial and error right now. I just started doing this a month and a half ago. So far I figured out how to clean up and edit and image that is already in DXF form. But that is as far as I have gotten.
RONWB

Post by RONWB »

I knew I would have to change the font and the barn door I know how to do all that. I will have to get with this lady and have here decide what font she would prefer.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

RONWB wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:40 pm Basic. I don't even have Inkscape does that help a lot? My uncle was not very tech savvy so he didn't teach very much. I'm self taught by trial and error right now. I just started doing this a month and a half ago. So far I figured out how to clean up and edit and image that is already in DXF form. But that is as far as I have gotten.
Since you only have Basic Design, unless you are planning to spend the $998 to upgrade to Advanced Design, I would recommend learning Inkscape (free download) as your best bet. LightBurn will also do auto tracing and vector editing, cost is about $60. I would start out with Inkscape.

I will get back later and show you how to do this one using Inkscape.

David
RONWB

Post by RONWB »

Ok perfect I will go download that now to start out. If I can figure out how to transfer files over like that it would be a game changer. I plan on upgrading all of my software eventually I just want to have a good grasp on how it all works first. I appreciate you so much !!
RONWB

Post by RONWB »

When ever you have time.... I have downloaded Ink scape now and I am looking around in there. I have an image uploaded in there and made a trace of it. If you could tell me how I actual save it into a DXF from there.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

RONWB wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:05 pm When ever you have time.... I have downloaded Ink scape now and I am looking around in there. I have an image uploaded in there and made a trace of it. If you could tell me how I actual save it into a DXF from there.
Here is the basic process. You could edit the text with your own font, and clean up the rest of the drawing to straighten out the lines.

I would probably do a manual trace with Inkscape for the drawing portion, then save as dxf to import to Design Edge to add your text.

David

trace 1.jpg
trace 2.jpg
trace 3.jpg
trace 4.jpg
trace 5.jpg
trace 6.jpg
trace 7.jpg
trace 8.jpg
trace 9.jpg
trace 10.jpg

Last edited by adbuch on Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

trace 11.jpg
trace 12.jpg

acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Nice tutorial David showing how and why some processes are needed. RONWB there are many posts here with questions answered about Inkscape for you to use to help leaning, and also YouTube, time well spent.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT

Return to “File Conversion Help Wanted”