Help converting a file

If you are looking for help with a file conversion please post it here rather than in the file sharing forums.
leefieldservice
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Help converting a file

Post by leefieldservice »

Need help converting this to a cut file for a customer
thumbnail.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

plasmanewbie
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Help converting a file

Post by plasmanewbie »

Here is a good start but depending on how you want this done it will need some work. If doing 2 layer it will save you a lot of bridging. Hope it helps.

Staffordhdts.png
Staffordhdts.svg
Staffordhdts.dxf

adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

leefieldservice wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:06 am Need help converting this to a cut file for a customer

thumbnail.jpg
What software are you using, or learning to use? Have you made any attempt at tracing this image, either manually or auto trace? I expect that Plasmanewbie did an auto trace with CorelDraw. I tried it with Inkscape, but the result would need much editing. Are you planning to do this as a single piece, or multi-layered? If a single piece - would you be cutting it as a positive, or as a negative into a larger piece of material? All of this would come into play as far as your editing path to achieve your desired result. If you can show us your progress, and let us know the answers to some of these questions, then that would make it easier for us to try to help you to achieve your desired result.

David
Joe Jones
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Joe Jones »

I took two hours and drew it symmetrically, but it still has the islands that must be corrected before it can be cut out of a single sheet of metal. I am going to crash now, but I may tackle the islands on another day soon.

Joe
SKULL LOGO WITH ISLANDS JPG.jpg
SKULL LOGO ISLANDS DXF.dxf
SKULL LOGO ISLANDS.pcm

Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
6” Z Rail Lift Kit for PlasmaCam
CreatBot D600 PRO 3D Printer
12 Lasers
FREE DesignEdge Training!

It is more fun when it isn't necessary!
plasmanewbie

Post by plasmanewbie »

Nice job Joe, super clean!
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

plasmanewbie wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:12 am Nice job Joe, super clean!
Thanks. I did not begin solving the islands issue. It can't be cut from a single sheet of metal now, because it will fall apart. Everything needs to be connected.

The original image provided by the OP was skewed and not vertical. It was rotated. So It was a bit of a challenge to draw one half of the image at an angle and then mirror it before rotating it to true vertical. It will take some time to solve the islands and still maintain the feel of the graphic.

I chose to remove the beveled corners of the thin white line. They look sloppy and I suspect they are the result of a bad scan. If they are intentional then they can be added back into the image.

I am leaving Albuquerque now for Dallas. So I don't have time to work on it further.

Joe
SKULL LOGO ISLANDS AND CHAMFER DXF.dxf
SKULL LOGO ISLANDS AND CHAMFER.pcm

Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

plasmanewbie

Post by plasmanewbie »

Wow, what a road trip! I miss the road trippin days.
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

I can’t do those thousand mile days anymore. I was able to get to Amarillo Texas where I checked into a nice hotel and grabbed a meal. I’m going to shoot for the Dallas area tomorrow.

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

ROKCRLER
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by ROKCRLER »

Joe....awesome job on the file...im a visual person so i had to color it in to see what islands were left... here is what i came up with.
I joined the bottom wrenches to keep the crossbones as one piece.
This is a pretty cool design for multilayers for sure!
Im looking forward to cutting this.

4x8 Dynatorch
PM85
~Mo~
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

ROKCRLER wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:12 pm Joe....awesome job on the file...im a visual person so i had to color it in to see what islands were left... here is what i came up with.
I joined the bottom wrenches to keep the crossbones as one piece.
This is a pretty cool design for multilayers for sure!
Im looking forward to cutting this.
The file is still not ready to cut.

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

ROKCRLER

Post by ROKCRLER »

Joe...i know man... but it got the creative juices flowing.. thanks for the headstart man :beer:
4x8 Dynatorch
PM85
~Mo~
leefieldservice
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by leefieldservice »

Joe thanks for all your help with this sorry for the delayed response this isn't something we use our plasma table for so I am a bit lost, customer has just requested that it be out of a single sheet it doesn't need to be exactly as the scan I would be more than happy to pay you for your time if you could complete it for a cut file.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Here it the file with the islands bridged so you can get an idea how to do it. It's just drawing lines and trimming to get everything attached together for a single cut. Let us know if you have any specific questions. This was just "quick and dirty", so with a little bit more time spent it could be more symmetrical and such.
David
skull with wrenches dxf image.jpg
skull with wrenches.dxf
Here are some close-ups. The bridges between the teeth and the rest of the piece could be fattened up a bit to keep from burning thru when cut. Or maybe add a few more for good measure.
skull with wrenches dxf image upper half.jpg
skull with wrenches dxf image lower half.jpg

tinspark
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tinspark »

Nice work David
The bridging hardly takes away from the original look.
laser cut may be a good option here.
Might be worth it to the OP to shoot some of your bridged images to a few local shops that offer laser cutting in the OP’s locale..
Ours here are fairly reasonable as long as I supply the materials and a dxf file. Of course they like to supply the material so that they can mark it up. But may be worth it because of the time and fuel to get the material there
Doug,
4x4 GoTorch- expanded
Height Control/Advanced DesignEdge
Hypertherm 45XP-
Logan Lathe + myriads of other shop toys
**CAUTION**- "Does Not Play Well With Others" :)
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Thanks Doug! The "heavy lifting" had already been done, so simple enough to add some bridges - particularly using Design Edge. With any other program - Inkscape for example - the process would be far more tedious and time consuming. Depending on the material thickness and scale of the piece - it may be a candidate for cnc plasma cutting. But as you mention laser would work well also, with better definition and cleaner cuts.

My local cnc laser shop would probably charge in the $100 to $200 price range for a single part like this with dxf supplied to them. For larger quantities the price would come down. They charge for engineering time (convert dxf to cut file), setup time, and cut time (which would be minimal). It sounds like the OP's intention was to cut this himself. I will look forward to seeing how it comes out and hopefully he will post some photos of the finished part.

David

PS - this is the local shop I use for many of my parts. I have been working with them for over 20 years now.

https://themetalman.com/
metal man 0.jpg
metal man 1.jpg

adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Doug - here is how I create bridges when I am in a hurry. Maybe it doesn't turn out as nice as drawing them individually, but much quicker to do - especially for "proof of concept". Design Edge makes this a breeze! If I were trying to accomplish the same thing using Inkscape or CorelDraw, I would be at it for hours instead of minutes. Another nice thing about Design Edge is that it uses the different colors to show solid closed paths, which makes it much easier to visualize to discern the "islands" from the larger closed path/material being cut.

David
bridge 1.jpg
bridge 2.jpg
bridge 3.jpg
bridge 4.jpg
bridge 5.jpg
bridge 6.jpg

tinspark

Post by tinspark »

David, Love the tip about the small squares. I have been hitting the K button and breaking the line randomly by eyeballing it in the 4 spots then selecting and deleting the broken lines. Your way makes all of teh breaks more symmetrical.
I will try that next time,, You are a wise man my friend!!
Doug,
4x4 GoTorch- expanded
Hypertherm 45XP-
tinspark

Post by tinspark »

adbuch wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 5:06 pm Thanks Doug! The "heavy lifting" had already been done, so simple enough to add some bridges - particularly using Design Edge. With any other program - Inkscape for example - the process would be far more tedious and time consuming. Depending on the material thickness and scale of the piece - it may be a candidate for cnc plasma cutting. But as you mention laser would work well also, with better definition and cleaner cuts.

My local cnc laser shop would probably charge in the $100 to $200 price range for a single part like this with dxf supplied to them. For larger quantities the price would come down. They charge for engineering time (convert dxf to cut file), setup time, and cut time (which would be minimal). It sounds like the OP's intention was to cut this himself. I will look forward to seeing how it comes out and hopefully he will post some photos of the finished part.

David

PS - this is the local shop I use for many of my parts. I have been working with them for over 20 years now.

metal man 0.jpgmetal man 1.jpg
:Like :Like :Like :Like +++++++++ :Like :Like
I added a few more thumbs up just to be a trouble maker- I gotta boost my meaningless count ranking HAAHAHA!!
Doug,
4x4 GoTorch- expanded
Hypertherm 45XP-
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

tinspark wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 6:21 pm David, Love the tip about the small squares. I have been hitting the K button and breaking the line randomly by eyeballing it in the 4 spots then selecting and deleting the broken lines. Your way makes all of teh breaks more symmetrical.
Doug - I had never even thought about using the Break "K" tool for this. I do use it when fitting text to path "Ctrl V" to break the circle or oval at the bottom or maybe to two sides (snap to quadrant).

David
text to path.jpg

adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Doug - here is another method that could provide cleaner results and still be efficient if there are lots of bridges to make. I used the Bulge tool "Z" to create a small curved segment, then mirror/copy across a short vertical line. The result is 2 curved segments. Then group them together. After that make copies and rotate in increments of say 30 degrees, or maybe even 10 degrees for a closer match to the paths being bridged. Then just copy and past the group with the closest angle to the bridge locations and trim "X" away the excess. This could produce a cleaner look than the circles or squares.

Of course maybe just do the same thing with small squares. Create one, then copy/rotate every 10 degrees or so and use these for the bridging. I think you get my drift.

David
text to path 1.jpg
text to path 2.jpg

adbuch

Post by adbuch »

tinspark wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 6:27 pm
adbuch wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 5:06 pm Thanks Doug! The "heavy lifting" had already been done, so simple enough to add some bridges - particularly using Design Edge. With any other program - Inkscape for example - the process would be far more tedious and time consuming. Depending on the material thickness and scale of the piece - it may be a candidate for cnc plasma cutting. But as you mention laser would work well also, with better definition and cleaner cuts.

David

metal man 0.jpgmetal man 1.jpg
:Like :Like :Like :Like +++++++++ :Like :Like
I added a few more thumbs up just to be a trouble maker- I gotta boost my meaningless count ranking HAAHAHA!!
emoji_thumbs-up_full.jpg

tinspark

Post by tinspark »

Haha! Too funny
That’s just wrong…..
Doug,
4x4 GoTorch- expanded
Hypertherm 45XP-
tinspark

Post by tinspark »

adbuch wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:01 pm
tinspark wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 6:21 pm David, Love the tip about the small squares. I have been hitting the K button and breaking the line randomly by eyeballing it in the 4 spots then selecting and deleting the broken lines. Your way makes all of teh breaks more symmetrical.
Doug - I had never even thought about using the Break "K" tool for this. I do use it when fitting text to path "Ctrl V" to break the circle or oval at the bottom or maybe to two sides (snap to quadrant).

David

text to path.jpg
I have been breaking a line one next to the other. Maybe 1/4” apart (or any given space). In your example if you add a dot next to the other dot and select between the two and hit the delete button, it will mimic more or less what I have been doing.
ie.. After I get a series of red dots along a given path or in a portion of a drawing, and before I delete anything, I will hold the “control” button down and select all of the spaces between the two red dots (1/4”apart or whatever I eyeball) and then I will move down the line where I want my next break to be, and do a couple of double ‘K’’s about 1/4” apart, then hit "delete" one time and, Shazam.. Done. Then move along to another area if needed.
But I think in your example and drawing above, you are just showing how you would break a line for the fit to path tool which is another awesome Design Edge feature that comes in super handy.
I do like your dragging and dropping shapes method to break lines too, then crop them out with the “X” tool..
A circle may actually be the handiest shape because it stays constant on any line or arch, angle, or degree..
Doug,
4x4 GoTorch- expanded
Hypertherm 45XP-
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Doug - the method you describe about breaking paths, deleting the short segments between the breaks, and then manually drawing lines to connect the broken ends reminds me a lot of how most of the Inkscape users have to do it. They often add some nodes, then choose a handy one to "break the path at selected node", and proceed. It's ok for a few, but can become very tedious for many. I have often wondered why Inkscape does not add a "trim tool" to their tool box. Same for CorelDraw (a little bit better, but still no trim tool). Fusion 360 and VCarve Pro both have trim tools that work great.

David
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

Here is the DXF file with the islands removed and the cut paths included.

Joe
SKULL LOGO W CUT PATHS.dxf

Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

Return to “File Conversion Help Wanted”