Help Needed

If you are looking for help with a file conversion please post it here rather than in the file sharing forums.
RONWB
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Help Needed

Post by RONWB »

I am working on this for a local Fire Department and I am having trouble with it. The words on the outer edges I can fix no problem, the words on the inner circle they dont want on there. It is a very low pixel image. The little guy in the middle is where I am running into trouble. When I try and transfer over it is not even picking up all the lines , it is very distorted. I realize I will have to create tabs to keep it from being a complete fall out, but I am not even picking up enough lines for the little guy or the water splash. Does any one have any advice or can help me out here please?

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Help Needed

Post by adbuch »

This will not auto trace well using Design Edge. I know because I tried it. I have been using Design Edge for about 6 years now, but Inkscape is my "Go To" for auto trace as well as manual tracing. See the result below of Path, Trace Bitmap using standard settings. Give it a try. It's very easy to do. Simply open Inkscape, import your jpeg image, select image and then Path, Trace Bitmap tool. It takes under a minute to do.

David
auto trace 1.jpg

adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Your supplied image has high enough resolution for producing and acceptable manual trace using Inkscape. You can see I started with the outline first. This is a 2-step process. First use the Bezier tool to drop down a bunch of nodes strategically placed around the perimeter. Then come back and use the edit nodes tool to grab each line segment and drag it out to match the shape of the curve in the image.

David
auto trace 0.jpg
auto trace 00.jpg
auto trace 000.jpg
auto trace 2.jpg

adbuch

Post by adbuch »

If you would prefer to use Design Edge to manually trace, then here are the methods I would use. I very much prefer Inkscape for this, but in a pinch Design Edge will produce more than acceptable results.

David
manual trace using DE.jpg

adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Ron - just reading back on some of your other posts, I remember now that you had just download Inkscape back in November or so and were going to get started with it. How far did you get? If you only have basic Design Edge, then some of the advanced features you need may be missing. But Inkscape is free and will do everything you need as far as this project goes. Why don't you show us any progress you have made on this file using Inkscape and we will try to help you along with it.

David
RONWB

Post by RONWB »

Hi David,
Sorry I have been super busy with orders. Yes I do just have the basic Inkscape , and I am still not very familiar with it. I will be working on this the next couple of days and I will update you with my progress.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

RONWB wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 6:32 pm Hi David,
Sorry I have been super busy with orders. Yes I do just have the basic Inkscape , and I am still not very familiar with it. I will be working on this the next couple of days and I will update you with my progress.
Thanks Ron! Let us know how you are doing with it.

David
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Ron - feel free to ask any questions if you need a few pointers on this one.
David

Return to “File Conversion Help Wanted”