Edit dxf

If you are looking for help with a file conversion please post it here rather than in the file sharing forums.
Kaos
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Edit dxf

Post by Kaos »

I have downloaded and purchased a few files of collapsible fire pits. I cut out one design and the cut went fine except it is hard to slide together and take apart. The file is suppose to be for 11ga, which is what I am using. I know how to increase the overall size, but how do I just increase just the size of the slots so that it will not be such a tight fit. I'm using inkscape and myplasm. Thank you.
4X8 Elihu / Hypertherm 45XP
Kaos - (in memory of K9)
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Edit dxf

Post by acourtjester »

If you separate out just each slot you the alter each slit size by itself, then recombine the drawing to a DXF.
change size.JPG

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Kaos
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Kaos »

acourtjester wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 2:37 pm If you separate out just each slot you the alter each slit size by itself, then recombine the drawing to a DXF.
Thank you!
Kaos - (in memory of K9)
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Happy to help
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

slot 1.jpg

djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by djreiswig »

If you scale the drawing up slightly, it should make the slots wider without much noticable change in the size. You could also set your kerf width narrower so the paths are offset less which would also make the slots wider.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

djreiswig wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 6:51 pm If you scale the drawing up slightly, it should make the slots wider without much noticable change in the size. You could also set your kerf width narrower so the paths are offset less which would also make the slots wider.
direiswig - that's a great suggestion about changing the kerf width. I was just thinking the same thing. He could also change the kerf width only for the slots and cut those first, then cut the remainder of the parts with the correct kerf width - but as you say, there would not be much noticeable change to the overall size even with the narrower kerf width. In any case, I would recommend that he cut a few test slots first just to get his fit dialed in. Then go for the entire project.

David
Kaos
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Kaos »

djreiswig wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 6:51 pm If you scale the drawing up slightly, it should make the slots wider without much noticable change in the size. You could also set your kerf width narrower so the paths are offset less which would also make the slots wider.
Wouldn't an increase in size also increase the tabs that slide into the slots?
Some of the slots are part of the outside edge line, which presents a problem of sizing just those slots.
Screenshot 2023-04-25 210513.jpg

Kaos - (in memory of K9)
djreiswig

Post by djreiswig »

The smaller kerf width should make the slots wider and the tabs narrower.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Assuming the slots need to be just wide enough to accommodate the material thickness, then the tabs would not come into play here. I would need to see a screen shot of the entire file showing the mating parts to verify this.

David
kerf width decrease 1.jpg

Kaos
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Kaos »

adbuch wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 12:27 am Assuming the slots need to be just wide enough to accommodate the material thickness, then the tabs would not come into play here. I would need to see a screen shot of the entire file showing the mating parts to verify this.
Thank you!
Screenshot 2023-04-25 234858.jpg

Kaos - (in memory of K9)
Kaos
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Kaos »

djreiswig wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 12:10 am The smaller kerf width should make the slots wider and the tabs narrower.
oh, ok. I'm only a few weeks into actually owning a table and cutting stuff so I'm trying to process al the info. Thanks for your time.
Kaos - (in memory of K9)
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Kaos wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 12:45 pm I have downloaded and purchased a few files of collapsible fire pits. I cut out one design and the cut went fine except it is hard to slide together and take apart. The file is suppose to be for 11ga, which is what I am using. I know how to increase the overall size, but how do I just increase just the size of the slots so that it will not be such a tight fit. I'm using inkscape and myplasm. Thank you.
slot 2.jpg
slot 3.jpg
If you want your slots to be 0.010" wider, then reduce your kerf width setting by the same amount (0.010"). The nozzle position will be moved over by 1/2 of the difference in kerf width setting change per side - so 0.005" per side. Two sides of the slot, so this equates to a total slot width increase of 0.010".
I would suggest you try this on some sample slots first from scrap material, so you don't waste lots of good material until you get it dialed in to the size you are after.

David

Kaos
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Kaos »

adbuch wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:09 am If you want your slots to be 0.010" wider, then reduce your kerf width setting by the same amount (0.010"). The nozzle position will be moved over by 1/2 of the difference in kerf width setting change per side - so 0.005" per side. Two sides of the slot, so this equates to a total slot width increase of 0.010".
I would suggest you try this on some sample slots first from scrap material, so you don't waste lots of good material until you get it dialed in to the size you are after.
David
Thank you for the help!
Kaos - (in memory of K9)
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Kaos wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:29 am
adbuch wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:09 am If you want your slots to be 0.010" wider, then reduce your kerf width setting by the same amount (0.010"). The nozzle position will be moved over by 1/2 of the difference in kerf width setting change per side - so 0.005" per side. Two sides of the slot, so this equates to a total slot width increase of 0.010".
David
Thank you for the help!
You are quite welcome! Always happy to try to help. Let us know how you make out with your test cuts with reduced kerf width.
David
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Kaos nothing wrong with getting familiar with the process and the software before cutting metal. Easier to learn tricks at the start then having to figure things out while trying to do actual work. This is the same reason some use an ink pen attached to the torch to draw on paper to see how it looks then cut the metal. After you gain experiences the planning and cutting comes quicker. :Like Questions are cheaper then metal. :HaHa :HaHa
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

acourtjester wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 10:15 am Kaos nothing wrong with getting familiar with the process and the software before cutting metal. Easier to learn tricks at the start then having to figure things out while trying to do actual work. This is the same reason some use an ink pen attached to the torch to draw on paper to see how it looks then cut the metal. After you gain experiences the planning and cutting comes quicker. :Like Questions are cheaper then metal. :HaHa :HaHa
Tom - I very much agree with the "ink pen attached to torch" method for an easy way to get things dialed in before cutting metal. This may not work for slots with tight tolerances, but those can be cut as small samples to minimize material waste.

David

Return to “File Conversion Help Wanted”