THC Bouncing

Don't see your table manufacturer listed above? Post here in this forum.
RZAutomation
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

THC Bouncing

Post by RZAutomation »

I have had my 5x10 XLE for about a month now and I am fighting THC. When in a cut, the torch bounces and will end up crashing into the material. I have been working with Dynatorch some but they aren't quick to respond and haven't been much help. I have checked my ground and it is within Dynatorch's specs. Air line going to the Hypertherm Powermax 105 is 1/2" ID and regulator is set to 115psi. I have been changing the acceleration and sensitivity factors in the Dynatorch software and the only thing I have noticed is that the bouncing gets slower. I did check the voltage coming out of the voltage divider on the powermax and it was reading 2.4v which is the 50:1 setting and the setting on the Dynatorch software is set to 6v at 0.02 resolution. One thing I did find weird is when the voltage set point was supposed to be 137v, I was reading 170v which seems high. This was with THC off.

Any ideas on what I can check to get the bouncing to go away? If I run with THC off, the draft angle is very extreme and I cannot have that for the type of parts I will be cutting.
austin1289
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Re: THC Bouncing

Post by austin1289 »

I think the guys at Dynatorch are super swamped right now. I bought a Super-B around the same time you bought your table, and I've had to call/email them a few times for piddly things. I've found there's a much faster response time with email than leaving a voicemail. If you email Micheal and let him know you'd like to talk to him on the phone as soon as he gets a chance I'm sure he will help you get this squared away. He's emailed me very detailed long winded responses that more than addressed my questions. He usually responds within a few hours. With that said I have had it take 3 days to respond to voicemails, but like I said I think they're snowed under at the moment.

Also I'm fairly new to this but with THC off I don't believe it takes your voltage "set point" into consideration at all. It simply uses your preset cut height.
WyoGreen
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: THC Bouncing

Post by WyoGreen »

I know nothing abut the Dynatorch controller, but generally when your kerf is too wide at the top, it's because you are cutting too high. If the kerf is too wide at the bottom, you are cutting too low. You need to set up a straight line test cut with the DTHC off, then stop everything mid cut and measure the cut height to make sure it is at the required cut height. If it is, then make note of what the cut voltage was, and that is what the set voltage should be, as long as the Dross is acceptable. Generally with the Hypertherm the cut height is .060.

I hope this will help with the draft angle trouble you are experiencing, Steve
Precision Plasma gantry
CommandCNC Linux controller w/Feather Touch & PN200 hand controller
HT-45 plasma cutter
Plate Marker
Router
Laser

Return to “Various Manufacturers Forum”