Tactical CNC

Don't see your table manufacturer listed above? Post here in this forum.
43fabguy
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Tactical CNC

Post by 43fabguy »

Any one out here got any opinions on Tactical

I Recently purchased one 5x8 water table with a hypertherm 125 able to cut up to 1" mild steel
This is my first plasma table and it cuts amazing but I feel there are certain features that should be waaaayyyyy different

any opinions would be greatly appreciated
MidAmericaIron
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Re: Tactical CNC

Post by MidAmericaIron »

What features would you change? They look like decent tables. I'm interested in them since the company is located in St. Louis, MO, and I only live 20 minutes away. Do you know if the tables are manufactured in St. Louis, or are their headquarters just here, and the tables are built somewhere else? I would like to buy a table from someone local.
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

The tables are built by a major industrial cnc manufacturer. Tactical is a sales branch that sells and supports the machines. They are great machines.....and fit into the light industrial market....a bit above the entry level cnc table market. Heavier construction, complete fume control, great cnc control system and integrated height control....as well as a good software package. Jim
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Brand X »

These guys? Sure looks like it.. :)

I have the same rails on my gantry.. Always worked pretty well for what I do..

http://www.machitech.com/silver-cut/
MidAmericaIron
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by MidAmericaIron »

I was thinking either them or EZCut.
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Brand X »

MidAmericaIron wrote:I was thinking either them or EZCut.
You could be correct on EZ cut too..
43fabguy
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by 43fabguy »

it seems it is incapable ( I assume due to design of the software ) to just cut a line
it is only designed to cut objects

I have tried over and over to make just a cut from point a to point be
say like I only want to cut a sheet in half or some drawing just has a fine line in it such as a wrinkle in a dogs fur
MsBee
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by MsBee »

We recently purchased a 5x10 Downdraft table from Tactical and I have to say that the software seems to be more trouble than it is worth! Unfortunately the software that they provide is the only one that is capable of controlling the machine.

I am using Autodesk Fusion360 to draw all of my parts and then exporting the DXF files to the Tactical software when we are ready to cut.
Thomas
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Thomas »

The company that I work for has a HPR130XD Advanced from Tactical CNC. That said, Tactical propaganda says it can cut 1-1/4". Tactical Rep's say it cannot cut anything more than 5/8". Don't get me wrong, there's a lot I like about this machine, but there's more that I dislike. I don't like that I have 7 different parts to a set of consumables vs Torchmates 3 parts. But this is a discussion for another time. Your question was about software... You're right! it is limited. They built it (the software) for plug and play. Or some semblance of it. I've been doing CNC plasma cutting for about 10yrs now. When I look at software I look for absolute control. I want to be able to direct the cut path, choose what gets cut first, have it go from one end of the sheet to the opposite if I choose it to. I cant do that on Tactical Software. They don't allow you to do rip cuts, I have to trick the machine in order to do it. The same for line cuts without a border around it. I should be able to choose whether or not its a male or female cut. It should not be chosen for me. Yeah, it makes it easier and/or faster when it is, but easier is not always better. I like to have FULL control over what my machine does. You don't get that with Tactical. If you could get a hypertherm cut quality (True-Hole Tech. or not) with a better software and driver system, go for it. In my experience, I like Torchmate with SignLab CAD/CAM software. But I'm partial to that, I learned on it. There are other programs out there like Raptor and Cut 3D, and much, much more. It all depends on your application. My advise? Call around and see if you can get some trial or educational versions and find out what works best. Tactical is good for plug and play but they have a lot of work to do to catch up with software adjustments. I hope this help you.
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

The HPR130XD is production rated for 3/4". It can pierce 1", and can edge start and cut thicker. I would suggest getting some software and cnc control training for your Tactical cnc machine. I am familiar with the software and controller....and it can do everything that you say it cannot! Contact Tactical and see if you can arrange some online training with them. Jim Colt Hypertherm
Thomas
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Thomas »

Jim, I'm not saying that this machine is junk. All I'm saying is that the software could use some upgrades. I want to be able to have FULL control over this system and with tactical CAD/CAM, I'm sorry, but you don't get that control that I would like with Tactical. Also, Tactical told me that the HPR130XD is production rated at 1/4". Whos right? You, who works for Hypertherm? Or tactical? See the dilemma? One person says one thing whos supposed to know about this machine, and on the opposite hand we have you who works for Hypertherm, I assume? I love the machine and all its capabilities. Better cut quality, far less dross, straighter cuts, the list goes on. I don't like the software. I'm not a beginner I don't need plug and play. It has its limits. All this said, I don't run my own machine. I run other peoples. But when I start my own company hypertherm is where I would go, but would get different software.
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

Actually I was wrong.....the HPR130XD, manufactured by Hypertherm is designed as a 100% duty cycle machine with a production rating for 3/4" steel, maximum suggested pierce at 1-1/4" and 1-1/2" cutting with edge starting. No one would say it is a 1/4" machine, and Tactical and their parent company have sold a good number of them over the years. The operators manual clearly shows the cutting capability on the many pages of cut charts. Depending on the vintage of the Tactical machine....it could have a couple of different controls and software. I'd suggest talking with the manufacturer about software upgrades, they may have exactly what you want. Jim Colt Hypertherm

Return to “Various Manufacturers Forum”