gibscam

General software related questions should be posted here.
plasmajoe
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

gibscam

Post by plasmajoe »

hi everyone,

I was wondering if any of you out there use GIBSCAM. The reason I am asking is I am looking to getting this software. Any comments good or bad to help out on my decision would be appreciated. I will be using this software for CNC Mills and Lathes, a boring mill, drill press and a plasma table. Thank you in advance.

Plasma Joe
Arc Innovations
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Re: gibscam

Post by Arc Innovations »

I am a machinist by trade. But use plasmacam as a side business. I used Gibbs cam for a year and a half and even got training for it in California. It is the 3rd CAD/CAM software I have used extensivley and I was impressed with it. It is excellent for importing IGES and solid files. You get nice clean lines for your wireframe. It takes a while to get used to the format of creating a toolpath, but it works well. Creating solids is a snap!! Just use + or - to create a boss or to extrude. The only downside I saw was if you want to customize your post processor. They will charge you for every little change you make.

Hope this helps with your decision.
Gary
Arc Innovations

http://ai-metalworks.com
plasmajoe

Post by plasmajoe »

Thank you for your input Gary, means alot. I am really getting to like the software it is working well with my mill, lathe and boring mill. I am still using FastCam for the rest. Hard to train and old dog new tricks :D I appreciate your time in responding to my querry, I think I will get it after my month is up with the trial period. Thanks for the heads up on the customizing part of the sorftware, I will keep it in mind.

Plasma Joe
Arc Innovations
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Gibbscam also has a good online forum just like this one where you can get a lot of questions answered as well. Let me know if you have any more questions about it.

Gary
Arc Innovations

Arc Innovations
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Hey Joe, How is gibbscam working out for you? I am curious, what kind of work do you do besides plasma cutting? I have been toying with the idea of getting a mini mill to do small intricate parts and engraving that I can't do with a plasma cutter.
What kind of mill do you use?

Gary
Arc Innovations

plasmajoe

Post by plasmajoe »

Morning Gary,

Gibscam is working real good, I love it, very user friendly and easy to learn. My mill is a Milltronic RH30 and gibscam software is making it work to it's full potential. I also have a Milltronic ML16 lathe, a Crane vertical boring mill and a OKUMA production line lathe all hooked up with the software, plus of course the plasma table. You were right though the software is not to art friendly but I still prefer AutoCAD for drawing anyways. As for engraving and embossing the software works awesome!! It took a few years of us looking for a software to use with these machines but it was well worth the research and time to get what we have now. Thank you again Gary for all the help you gave me on Gibscam, it made our decision much easier.

Plasma Joe
Attachments
cncLathe.jpg
cncLathe.jpg (45.5 KiB) Viewed 1627 times
cncBedMill.jpg
cncBedMill.jpg (48.6 KiB) Viewed 1627 times
Arc Innovations
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Wow, you have some nice equipment! I'm Glad gibbscam is working for you.
Arc Innovations

Return to “General Discussion”