cleaning the slag off table slats

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
caveman8866
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

cleaning the slag off table slats

Post by caveman8866 »

I have been using a air-powered scaling tool to remove the slag from my table slats.
It is fast but, a little noisey. You can get one at harbor freight form $19.00 to $29.00
I am a new member to this site and will be sending some art download files soon.
I just order a new samson 5x 10 table and can't wait to put it to work.
Will post again soon.
caveman8866
jdh239
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: cleaning the slag off table slats

Post by jdh239 »

Will you post a link to what you mean so I can understand? I googled "air powered scaling tool" but have no idea what you mean.
----------------------------------------
ColdCreekWorks.com
jdh239

Post by jdh239 »

----------------------------------------
ColdCreekWorks.com
ronsii
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by ronsii »

Probably means one of these, use the chisel with the v groove or grind any of the others to work ;)

http://www.harborfreight.com/air-impact ... 32940.html
caveman8866
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by caveman8866 »

jdh239;
yes the needle air powered scaling tool is correct.
mine is an old one it has a pistol grip handle
they advertise it for removing rust and welder slag for repair work
the needles are replaceable. mine is older and didn't cost that much but, it works great.
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

I use the heck out of mine for maybe 18 months...then I cut some new ones from a sheet of 14 ga steel for about $60 my cost and replace them. It would take me an hour or more to knock the heavy slag off the old ones....just not worth it!

Jim
rpage
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by rpage »

oh the days of busting slag off the table grid. On my samson I paid a local kid to do it for me :) worked like a charm until the grate started warping from the heat. so now I am waiting on my magnetic torch mount from Mick and also his new table grid plans. this new grid uses 2.5"x58"x1/8th" bar stock. When one gets cut up, you pull it and cut another one. nice! when I get it all together i will post some pictures!

when I had my old pcam 4x4 I replaced the grid twice in 5 years. not bad really.
Possumplasma
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Possumplasma »

Even though I use my industrial style grate system, I still put aside a day a month for cleaning.
My catch tray also gets a shake out at the same time and, everything gets the once over.
I could take a page outta Jim's book and not bother but, Nah, I just couldn't do it....I tend to get a bit anal about a grotty table. ;)

Imagine if it stayed this way.........
Attachments
If only.....
If only.....
WSS
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by WSS »

Timely! This weekend I needed to flip slats and clean out the tray. My slats are 3/16" x 4 x 84" long with lots of stuff stuck to them. I have both a needle scaler and chipping hammer (from HF).

To be fair, all of the slag is steel and it is about 50/50 plamsa and oxy/fuel. Aluminum and stainless may come off easier, but I am not sure of that. I used both and found the chipping hammer to be at least 3 times faster. The needle scaler did put a better finish and was more forgiving as far as biting the slat. It took about two hours to clean the slats and shovel about 2000lbs of scrap/slag from the tray. Very rewarding. I knew this, but looking at the scraped slats told me I tend to cut too much in one spot. Many slats were bit pretty deep so I put those in a different place on the table.

WSS
Possumplasma
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Possumplasma »

I take from what you're saying, most of that was localised?
I clean my slats about once a month, depending on work load and, tend to spread the load fairly evenly around the table.
If my slats got as bad as those, it'd take me a week to clean.....of course, I tend to do it at a leisurely pace and, on the weekend so, may have a lot to do with it.
I also find an air chisel does a quicker and better job, then a quick lick along the top with the linisher to finish.
WSS
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by WSS »

Ya, it was localized for the most part. Generally because the forklift tends to follow the same path to the table and if it is not a 5x10 or 6x12 sheet then it pretty much ends up cutting an area about 4x6 foot. All the slats needed to be cleaned but the slag was starting to touch the bottom of the slats in that one area. I had lots of maintenance to do so I moved it along pretty quick. One of the problems was a fire hazard that popped up over the last week. Spring has started to rear it's pretty head "up over". Sparrows were building a nest in the rafters over the table. Had to climb and put up wire and cardboard in the small spaces to keep the buggers out. Another task was to get my oxy/fuel control console installed. I just finished it and was anxious to get it going.

WSS

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”