Laser crosshair torch positioner

Topics related to pen markers, remote controls, drawing tablets, & other plasma table related accessories
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Laser crosshair torch positioner

Post by acourtjester »

Here is how I setup a laser crosshair for torch positioning :)
the crosshair laser units are very cheap both eBay and Amazon sell them, I use +5 volts from my PC for power and a small toggle to turn it on/off when needed. I reassigned a button in Mach for this.
https://youtu.be/0oiemc9ZUfg
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Laser crosshair torch positioner

Post by djreiswig »

Great idea. Lots easier and more accurate than trying to align off of the torch tip.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
ggeh
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by ggeh »

I like the idea of using the single cross hair on the carriage. I have two lasers mounted at an angle to my torch and the center of the cross hair moves with the vertical travel of the torch, so its accuracy is depended upon the torch height.

I have set up a scribe mounted next to my torch but this is would seem to me kind of reverse of that set up.
Does any one know how to set this up on Candcnc?
motoguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by motoguy »

I use these. I started with cutting my own mounts, from the drawings here. Then I went to a 3-d printed version, because my cut/welded one wasn't perfectly true. Then I went with this one, which seals the lasers away from the plasma dust, and has removable covers for the laser lenses (I've already replaced one, after piercing some 3/4" material). Pricey at ~$200, but works great. Also, due to it's design, the "x" stays on center, regardless of the torch height. That's one reason I never liked the single diode arrangements (dots or x pattern). With the single diode, it's always height dependent (or so it seems).

https://torchmate.com/products/accessor ... crosshairs
Bulltear 6x12 w/ Proton Z axis & watertable
CommandCNC/Linux w/ Ohmic & HyT options
Hypertherm Powermax 85 w/ machine torch
Solidworks, Coreldraw X7, Inkscape, Sheetcam
robertspark

Post by robertspark »

suggestion....

what about placing a crosshair laser on you gantry in a suitable position that works for you

Then use a macro / macro button to run a macro that offsets the work co-ordinates to the laser and move the laser to align where the torch was..

Jog around, and then use a macro button to offset the work co-ordinates back to the torch offset.

Something similar is used for the scribe {but in scheetcam, this would be via macro / button code}

2nd suggestion..... have you looked at a red laser crosshair with 3 or 5 shade glasses on? The red does not look so clear.... if you flip to a green laser it will show up clearly in shade 3 or even 5 green protective glasses...
ggeh

Post by ggeh »

robertspark wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:03 am suggestion....

what about placing a crosshair laser on you gantry in a suitable position that works for you

Then use a macro / macro button to run a macro that offsets the work co-ordinates to the laser and move the laser to align where the torch was..

Jog around, and then use a macro button to offset the work co-ordinates back to the torch offset.

Something similar is used for the scribe {but in scheetcam, this would be via macro / button code}

2nd suggestion..... have you looked at a red laser crosshair with 3 or 5 shade glasses on? The red does not look so clear.... if you flip to a green laser it will show up clearly in shade 3 or even 5 green protective glasses...

Are you in mach or candcnc? Im using candcnc? I dont know how to write a macro in either program. Is there some one to explain step by step or have an example on how to do this? I have seen acourtjesters youtube video but Its using mach not candcnc.
Thanks Gary
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Another method is to create a code in SheetCam with the G-code to move the torch to the pointer position and zero out the DROs. You could then select it as the first operation in you plan. I made on to pause the G-code so I could change the plasma amps for dimpling.
That way you move the pointer and then the first operation is to move the torch to its start place and run the rest of the g-code.
To create a code go to tools at the top and the drop down menu has "code" then put your G-code in there, It will then place that in the tool menu for you to select. Your first operation will be to click on the code Icon under operation then select the code you want from the menu shown and then do the rest of your planning
code.JPG
code 2.JPG

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
john78
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by john78 »

robertspark wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:03 am suggestion....

I use a laser pointer and did exactly what you said. Have a button with a macro that moves to the laser offset then zeros the position.
4x4 Plasma Table
Mach3 with CSMIO/IP-S
CandCNC Feather Touch & LCTHC
Hypertherm PMX 1000
Homemade Rotary Plasma Attachment
robertspark

Post by robertspark »

ggeh wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:24 am Are you in mach or candcnc? Im using candcnc?
UCCNC, ex mach3.
Only dabbled with linuxcnc upon which candcnc runs
tylerd
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by tylerd »

motoguy wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:44 am I use these. I started with cutting my own mounts, from the drawings here. Then I went to a 3-d printed version, because my cut/welded one wasn't perfectly true. Then I went with this one, which seals the lasers away from the plasma dust, and has removable covers for the laser lenses (I've already replaced one, after piercing some 3/4" material). Pricey at ~$200, but works great. Also, due to it's design, the "x" stays on center, regardless of the torch height. That's one reason I never liked the single diode arrangements (dots or x pattern). With the single diode, it's always height dependent (or so it seems).

https://torchmate.com/products/accessor ... crosshairs
Was this fairly easy to setup? We have the same table and electronics, I am thinking of ordering one.
Bulltear 4x8
PN200 Pendant
Linux Command CNC
Hypertherm PM 85
C&CNC Bladerunner Servo
DTHC IV Feather Touch
HyT-Connect DCP-01
Sheetcam Inkscape QCAD
motoguy

Post by motoguy »

Yup, super easy. The most time-consuming part was running the power cable from the torch through the cable chain, so I can plug it in at my power outputs on my white control box. This lets me turn the laser on and off with the pendant.
tylerd
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by tylerd »

Wow that was quick, did you buy that new? I just got a quote for one and it was 650.00, I would do a couple hundred but damn, that is too much for me! He said they only had 3 left and are discontinuing it, the new one will be made of metal and be out in a few months. I see trick tools has it for 430..but still pretty pricey!
Bulltear 4x8
PN200 Pendant
Linux Command CNC
Hypertherm PM 85
C&CNC Bladerunner Servo
DTHC IV Feather Touch
HyT-Connect DCP-01
Sheetcam Inkscape QCAD
tylerd
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by tylerd »

Anyone ever try one of these? pretty cheap, don't know much about these I guess the accuracy depends on how high they are mounted on the torch, and that changes with raising or lowering the Z axis?

https://procutcnc.com/product/laser-crosshair/
Bulltear 4x8
PN200 Pendant
Linux Command CNC
Hypertherm PM 85
C&CNC Bladerunner Servo
DTHC IV Feather Touch
HyT-Connect DCP-01
Sheetcam Inkscape QCAD
motoguy

Post by motoguy »

tylerd wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 11:29 am Wow that was quick, did you buy that new? I just got a quote for one and it was 650.00, I would do a couple hundred but damn, that is too much for me! He said they only had 3 left and are discontinuing it, the new one will be made of metal and be out in a few months. I see trick tools has it for 430..but still pretty pricey!
My mistake. The Dynatorch is the one I have. I did buy it new, it was $200, I love it. BTW, I checked an old quote I got from TM when I was looking at the laser providers...their quote was $350 at the time. Sounds like their prices have jumped a lot!

https://www.dynatorch.com/accessories/d ... r-locator/
motoguy

Post by motoguy »

tylerd wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 11:43 am Anyone ever try one of these? pretty cheap, don't know much about these I guess the accuracy depends on how high they are mounted on the torch, and that changes with raising or lowering the Z axis?

https://procutcnc.com/product/laser-crosshair/
I've got one. It's still sitting on top of the tool box, where it went a few days after it arrived. That's when I decided to quit farting around, and just ordered the Dynatorch unit (mentioned above). The ProCut unit is 3d-printed. That's fine, but I didn't like the battery-operated/push button setup. I wanted to be able to switch it on/off with my pendant. I removed the battery diode, and ran wired diodes.

In the end, the exposed laser diode is just a bad idea. That's what finally pushed me to the Dynatorch unit. All the units I had before were exposed laser units, like the ProCut. In the end, dust got into them, and shorted them out, or ruined the lens, etc.

The Dynatorch units are sealed in the housing, and they have a sacrificial/replaceable lens cover on the bottom. I've already replaced these covers once, when I pierced some 3/4" material and melted the covers. The Dynatorch units cost 4x the amount of the ProCut unit ($200 vs $50), but I'm completely satisfied with the purchase.
tylerd
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by tylerd »

Awesome I just got a quote from Dynatorch earlier today, and it was just over 200, going to go ahead and do the purchase tomorrow, thanks so much for the feedback!
Bulltear 4x8
PN200 Pendant
Linux Command CNC
Hypertherm PM 85
C&CNC Bladerunner Servo
DTHC IV Feather Touch
HyT-Connect DCP-01
Sheetcam Inkscape QCAD
tylerd
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by tylerd »

I got my laser locator, but they did not send a cable with it. I will have to contact them back. But the unit has a small toggle switch on it and a mini 3 prong receptacle, is that the same as yours?
Bulltear 4x8
PN200 Pendant
Linux Command CNC
Hypertherm PM 85
C&CNC Bladerunner Servo
DTHC IV Feather Touch
HyT-Connect DCP-01
Sheetcam Inkscape QCAD
tylerd
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by tylerd »

Just got off the phone with them, cable is enroute, great customer service!
Bulltear 4x8
PN200 Pendant
Linux Command CNC
Hypertherm PM 85
C&CNC Bladerunner Servo
DTHC IV Feather Touch
HyT-Connect DCP-01
Sheetcam Inkscape QCAD
tylerd
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by tylerd »

Finally going to mount mine this weekend, you wouldn't happen to have a picture of yours mounted would you?
Bulltear 4x8
PN200 Pendant
Linux Command CNC
Hypertherm PM 85
C&CNC Bladerunner Servo
DTHC IV Feather Touch
HyT-Connect DCP-01
Sheetcam Inkscape QCAD

Return to “Pen Markers, Remote Controls, Drawing Tablets, etc.”