Thermal Dynamics 60i hook-up for CNC

Thermal Dynamics plasma cutter discussion forum.
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Thermal Dynamics 60i hook-up for CNC

Post by Brand X »

Thermal Dynamics 60i cnc hook-up

I just got around to hooking up a cutmaster 60i to my table. I used some of Candcnc hook up kit to complete the job. Mostly just needed the RAV-O2 voltage card to make it work with my system.. I had the Universal Plasma connection kit for years, so I used the digital current probe i had with it.. You can use pins #12-14 on the Cutmaster's J609 connection to get arc good that way also. pins #3-4 on the same connection are the start-stop trigger wires.. Then just the negative/positive for full arc voltage.. Also on the J609 connection, but i went straight to the leads on those. Mostly because I only wanted to use the start/stop pins on the J609 connection, because i don;;t have the correct female plug for the 18 pin setup. Just wired up two pins, and pushed the in the terminal. The Digital Current probe works excellent, so no downside for me.Had it on Esab's machines, and standard cutmaster's before this one.

There is no factory CNC connection kit out for the 60i yet, although the machine will support one. Has it in the manual with a 12 pin like real cnc setups..

By the way the machine is a beast even with the old tech torch. Seems to respond to the extra power in the machine. Makes my 45XP semm sort of weak. :lol: It does auto sense the SL-100SV automation torch, but will not show on the front of the machine until plugged in. It only shows the standard SL-60 torch/SL-100 torch on the panel. That includes the SL-100 machine torch too. Which also could be used in CNC cutting.One last thing, the 60i will work with the smaller SL-40 (@40 amp max) torch. Very nice to be able use the smaller torch on sheet-metal type of stuff.. I just got done late last night, and only punched a few holes in some plate.. I will cut a bit today. Machine is pierce rated to 5/8 ,so nice upgrade in power there. Amazon was running some deals. Got down to $1306.99 , but picked mine up for $1355.31. Had the other one bought, but decided better just run with the one I had..

https://www.candcnc.com/store-home/rav- ... ider-card/
https://www.candcnc.net/store-home/univ ... ction-kit/

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Re: Thermal Dynamics 60i hook-up for CNC

Post by Brand X »

My tip voltage is low, so I have a feeling i am going to have to go through the pin 18 on the machine. Everything is working other then that. Plus there is a open circuit voltage of 12 volts on the dial.. Little bit more work.. Was throwing my arc good off since it was set a 10 volts min to move..
Edit....
Pin 18 fixed the low voltage.. Took the positive wire from the tip lug (from the voltage card, and ran to pin 18 on the J609 connection. Nice to cut 1 inch mild steel at .200 height, and not dick around at .060 Cuts a bit faster then a 45XP would, and much longer arc length doing so.. way less slag too..

Talked to Thermal a bit today..There is a cnc interface now.. (automation interface catalog number 9-8308)
brucer
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by brucer »

I'm also thinking about getting the voltage divider for my cm52, and converting to a machine torch also.. I just dont like the raw arc voltage coming outside the machine to hook to my thc..

Brand-x what voltage divider value is the rav-02 putting out, or can you set it to various divided voltages? being your using the pwm sensor i'm guessing you have it at 50:1 or its putting out 50:1..
Also is the pwm sensor controlling your amps and air pressure of the 60i from the tool file like the hypertherm units do?
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Brand X »

7 to 1 on the RAV-02 for when you use Tom's card/digital probe. I have a card for your cutmaster, and even the correct plug for hooking into the PWM module You can set the Thermal card to something like 20-1 and 50-1, and The PWM module accepts 7-1 20-1 50-1 voltage signal.. I have to look it over and make sure it's complete. might need the screw that goes on the board for the ring terminal (hardware store item )

I would probably let it go for $100 plus shipping.. Same card works in the 52/58/82/102/152.. Turns the Standard cutmaster into a A series with a roll bar..Just need to ad the SL-100SV torch to complete the deal..

No auto voltage control with any cutmaster's One thing the 60i does have is a omitic sensor that will work with a exposed tip. makes sense to have it with the low amp tip.. If you go that way.
brucer
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by brucer »

Let me know about the interface card I was just looking at them.. I was thinking about going with the rav-02 because it was 1/4 the price of the thermal interface card, but if I can get a thermal card for half price of a new td card I'll go that route.

If I use the interface card I can use the sl-100sv? I didnt know that..

I was thinking about just ordering a 180degree torch head and making a pvc body for it, I'm still using a hand torch and it sucks... Using a 180deg. torch body and making a pvc sleeve would save me $300, so I can buy the Price thc, tired of the Proma I have and dont like using the raw arc voltage.
Rodw
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Rodw »

I thought I would share this pic from the Linuxcnc forum
grotius.jpg
My friend in Holland has hacked the 40i/60i so he can use a digital potentiometer to set the amps on the machine. And is controlling it using Bekoff ethercat EL7041-1000 step/dir drive. Very neat setup.
https://forum.linuxcnc.org/27-driver-bo ... l?start=20

I told him to get a 40 pin breakout board and go to town with further hacking.

Sadly the new machines have yet to get to Australia so yesterday, I purchased a Thermal Dynamics A120 and hope to get it operational on my home built table tomorrow. It was very well priced brand new old stock and I went with it mainly due to the feedback from Brand X about these machines. The number of different tips that came in the starter pack is quite daunting (from 30 amps to 120 amps)

Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Brand X »

With the Thermal interface card you will not have to hack in the arc good signal from the machine to get that working correct. Although that is using Tom's THC setup.. I use the digital probe on the work lead , although Arc good is on the Board of the 60i. I have had this system on cutmasters/esab Powercuts, and it works as well as factory stuff.. I would just look for a SL-100 SV torch for the more consistency/start cycle times over a standard torch/machine torch setup.. The 60i senses what torch is in the machine. I can't remember if the standard machines like the 52/82 etc will sense it without the card? I believe so.. Does work with the factory card for sure.

I miss using the 70 amp consumables in the 82/A-120 machines. Although the 60 amps in the 60i is really all I need for the little I do anymore..Personal use machine.. I make stuff for myself, and a few friends..

Bruce,
I will dig out the stuff today.and post pics /info I have one it.. I really hate to sell it, but it would keep me from being tempted from buying another machine..
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Brand X »

This is complete with the male plug too.. So it will hook right up to a PWM module Just missing the one screw that goes to the Main board.. .25 cent hardware store part..

https://www.candcnc.net/store-home/mic-01-cable/

pgilley
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by pgilley »

Brand X wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:06 am Thermal Dynamics 60i cnc hook-up

I just got around to hooking up a cutmaster 60i to my table. I used some of Candcnc hook up kit to complete the job. Mostly just needed the RAV-O2 voltage card to make it work with my system.. I had the Universal Plasma connection kit for years, so I used the digital current probe i had with it.. You can use pins #12-14 on the Cutmaster's J609 connection to get arc good that way also. pins #3-4 on the same connection are the start-stop trigger wires.. Then just the negative/positive for full arc voltage.. Also on the J609 connection, but i went straight to the leads on those. Mostly because I only wanted to use the start/stop pins on the J609 connection, because i don;;t have the correct female plug for the 18 pin setup. Just wired up two pins, and pushed the in the terminal. The Digital Current probe works excellent, so no downside for me.Had it on Esab's machines, and standard cutmaster's before this one.

There is no factory CNC connection kit out for the 60i yet, although the machine will support one. Has it in the manual with a 12 pin like real cnc setups..

By the way the machine is a beast even with the old tech torch. Seems to respond to the extra power in the machine. Makes my 45XP semm sort of weak. :lol: It does auto sense the SL-100SV automation torch, but will not show on the front of the machine until plugged in. It only shows the standard SL-60 torch/SL-100 torch on the panel. That includes the SL-100 machine torch too. Which also could be used in CNC cutting.One last thing, the 60i will work with the smaller SL-40 (@40 amp max) torch. Very nice to be able use the smaller torch on sheet-metal type of stuff.. I just got done late last night, and only punched a few holes in some plate.. I will cut a bit today. Machine is pierce rated to 5/8 ,so nice upgrade in power there. Amazon was running some deals. Got down to $1306.99 , but picked mine up for $1355.31. Had the other one bought, but decided better just run with the one I had..

At the risk of sounding dense, how did you determine which terminals are #3 and #4 ? I am attempting to set the 60i up for my simple 4X4 plasma table. Thanks for any help.
Rodw
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Rodw »

Here's the pinout from my A120 manual. The pin numbers will be the same. They are hard to see but the connector should also be numbered.
Screenshot 2019-06-13 at 5.56.13 AM.png
Note that by default on this machine the divided voltaage and raw arc voltatge are not bought out unless you purchase the automation interface so these are not labelled:
pin 5 - Divided arc voltage -
pin 6 - Divided Arc voltage +
pin 7 - Raw Arc Voltage -
pin 9 - Raw Arc Voltage +

Notice there are 100k resistors on each raw voltage pins.

pgilley
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by pgilley »

Thanks for the reply. The J609 connector, that ESAB tells me to use inside the 60i, does not appear to be numbered. I am hesitant to start connecting to terminals without being certain that they are #3 and #4 in the connector.
Rodw
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Rodw »

Pretty sure the wiring diagram in the manual will tell you what you need to know. Just to be clear the pinout is determined by the connector manufacturer not ESAB.
pgilley
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by pgilley »

Brand X wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:06 am Thermal Dynamics 60i cnc hook-up

I have a modest 4X4 Eagle Plasma table and have been using a Cutmaster 52 plasma with the table. Cutter works great except for duty cycle. Purchased a TD 60i plasma cutter and cannot get it to operate with my table. Control will start arc but once started arc will not stop until power is cut to control or cutter. Has anyone used the 60i for cnc table ? I do not have THC on my table, have had no use for it yet. Cannot understand why 60i will not work but Cutmaster 52 will. Contacted ESAB/Thermal Dynamics tech and he has been helpful with responses but no solutions. Just wondering if I order the interface module if that will solve the problem ? Any suggestions/help ?
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Brand X »

The start stop pins will go to the same pins on the board , so no difference in using the interface or not. (torch switch) How are you firing the torch now?
pgilley
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by pgilley »

Brand X wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:00 am The start stop pins will go to the same pins on the board , so no difference in using the interface or not. (torch switch) How are you firing the torch now?
I have connected the cnc relay on my plasma table to pins #3 and #4 on the J609 connector inside the 60i. The 60i will start arc when relay closes but arc will not stop until power is cut to 60i or relay wires disconnected. I have a Cutmaster 52 that I use daily and is wired for the cnc relay on this table and it works great. Cannot understand why there is a difference in these two machines as to arc start/stop. Contacted ESAB/Thermal Dynamics tech and so far they have not been able to find solution to problem. Any help/suggestions appreciated. I have ordered the 9-8308 interface module that some say is needed for the 60i. It does not say much for ESAB/TD that they make what seems like a great plasma cutter and cannot make a simple means to connect for cnc use.
Rodw
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Rodw »

What happens if you send it a second torch on command while its cutting? I just remembered that some plasma cutters (like the Everlast I used to have) have a setting on the console that makes the torch turn on and stay on until the torch on relay is fired again.

Maybe consult the manual.

Normally you would disable this feature for CNC use. But you can pulse it on and off at the start and end of a cut to work around the problem.
pgilley
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by pgilley »

Rodw wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:41 pm What happens if you send it a second torch on command while its cutting? I just remembered that some plasma cutters (like the Everlast I used to have) have a setting on the console that makes the torch turn on and stay on until the torch on relay is fired again.

Maybe consult the manual.

Normally you would disable this feature for CNC use. But you can pulse it on and off at the start and end of a cut to work around the problem.
Makes no difference how many times the start/stop control is activated once the arc starts it will not stop until power is removed from cutter or relay wires are disconnected.
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Brand X »

Mine hooks up just like my 52 cutter did, and works the same..I ran them with, and without the factory cnc card on different cutmasters.. The 60i is no different.
pgilley
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by pgilley »

Brand X wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:18 pm Mine hooks up just like my 52 cutter did, and works the same..I ran them with, and without the factory cnc card on different cutmasters.. The 60i is no different.
I have a Cutmaster 52, wired to the trigger switch in the torch, for cnc use and it works great. If the 60i is supposed to operate the same way there must be a flaw in the 60i that I have. The 60i that I purchased will not operate with my cnc relay start/stop switch regardless how it is connected. I have tried #3 and #4 pins on the J609 connector and have wired to the switch in the plasma torch also. Same result wired either way. Arc will start but not stop until power is removed from 60i or wires disconnected from cnc relay. Opinions from anyone. I have ordered the 9-8308 interface module that ESAB/Thermal Dynamics says to use.
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Brand X »

I would fire the torch from the 3 and #4 pins on the J609 connector with nothing hooked up to the table. Make sure the trigger lock on the panel is off too.. Jumping the pins and releasing them should start, and stop the torch. If not the Plasma cutter has issues, and the CNC card will not fix it..
pgilley
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by pgilley »

Brand X wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:48 am I would fire the torch from the 3 and #4 pins on the J609 connector with nothing hooked up to the table. Make sure the trigger lock on the panel is off too.. Jumping the pins and releasing them should start, and stop the torch. If not the Plasma cutter has issues, and the CNC card will not fix it..
The 60i will start and stop arc when the 3# and #4 terminals are jumpered. If I connect the #3 and #4 terminals to my cnc control the arc will start but not stop. I have a Cutmaster 52 connected to the cnc box and it works great connected to the torch trigger wires. Unless there is a problem with the 60i I do not understand why it will not operate the same. The 60i is a new machine just purchased.
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Brand X »

Sounds like there is a issue with your control box. It's closing contacts on the Plasma cutters, and your 60i is working correct..You proved it by jumping the pins.. The Thermal cnc interface will not change a thing there.
pgilley
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by pgilley »

Thanks for the reply. I don't understand why the control box works perfectly with the Cutmaster 52 but not the 60i. The ESAB/TD tech tells me that both machines operate the same as far as start stop connections. I talked to the owner of the plasma table I have and he is adamant that the box is working right. Sure is discouraging when no one seems to have a solution. Just purchased the 60i and it is virtually useless for my needs unless I can get it to operate with my table. My gripe for the day !!!!! The Cutmaster 52 does good work but the duty cycle cuts out on some things I make. Causes a lot of down time and some foul language at times !!!
konaseven
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by konaseven »

From the Manual
"With the system in the LATCH mode the main cutting arc will be maintained after the torch switch is released.
To exit or cancel the LATCH mode, press and release the trigger again or lift the torch from the cutting surface
so the arc goes out."

I wonder if this could be your problem?
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Brand X »

If he jumped the contactor like he said, it would be in latch mode there too.. First thing i thought of, but jumping the 3-4 pins is just like pulling the trigger.

Return to “Thermal Dynamics / Esab Plasma Cutters”