Big thanks to acourtjester and DXF

Share, browse, & download dxf, svg, or other vector based designs. If you take be sure to give back.
plasmanewbie
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Big thanks to acourtjester and DXF

Post by plasmanewbie »

Wanted to give a big thanks to acourtjester and DXF for introducing me to some new software which has helped me BIGTIME on these portraits I have been scribing.

I've been doing these for a while by manually tracing the portrait then adding the parallel scribe lines in CorelDRAW and although not difficult it takes time as you all know. These have been a good money maker since the material is nothing more than a 5"x7" piece of 14g aluminum plate that I sandblast and paint before scribing.

DXF introduced me to the Imaengine app which was a game changer for me since it can spit out a vector conversion of a face in literally a couple seconds! As if that wasn't awesome enough acourtjester has been tempting me to try Inkscape with his great tutorials and praise of the software. When he posted the video link to the hatching extension for scribing that put me over the top and i had to give it a go and glad I did.

These 2 pieces of software have reduced my time to produce the result you see here signifigantly! Total game changer and I owe a big thanks to these 2 guys who are major contributors here for introducing these to me. Thanks guys!! Plasmaspider was instrumental to me not giving up when I started and 10 years later it's still helping me huge. Big thanks to Plasmaspider and this awesome community!

The dxf file for this portrait is 2.5MB so I zipped it up if anyone else wants to give one of these a go. Lines are likley too close together for a pneumatic scribe but for anyone with any EasyScriber or other drag engraver this should work well for you. Mount the portrait in a 5x7 picture frame and looks super pro and is an awesome gift idea for literally anyone :Like :Like :Like

Portrait.png
InkscapePortrait.zip

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Big thanks to acourtjester and DXF

Post by acourtjester »

Happy to help some pay back for the help I received so many here with so much info. It has to be one of the best sites to me a member :Like :Yay
And guys like you posting great files, they help other expand and see what can be done and what options can be attached to their tables.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
DXF

Post by DXF »

You are welcome.....I mentioned that my BFF asked me to do so. I am hoping it opens up metal artists abilities. Nice tool.

Dave Hanks
ggeh
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by ggeh »

Unless I'm mistaken, looks like this is only for Apple products, does any one know if there is something similar for IBM/Microsoft?
plasmanewbie

Post by plasmanewbie »

Here is one of these completed but not yet framed. I just have a cheap drill press vise I clamp the material in and its as easy as setting the vise on the cutting deck, eyeing it up to be square to the table and let er hang. This one is a throw away, you can see her collar on the right side gets pretty close to the edge and the scribe hit the vise jaw and threw my X axis off a little just before it was done.

DXF

Post by DXF »

:Like I would reverse the colors.....you've got this! :Like

Dave Hanks
plasmanewbie

Post by plasmanewbie »

DXF wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:15 pm :Like I would reverse the colors.....you've got this! :Like

Dave Hanks
Not sure why that thought never crossed my mind but great idea Dave! I will try one reversed and see how that looks :Like
EasyScriber
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by EasyScriber »

Pretty awesome! Love seeing the different things people are doing with their EasyScribers!!
Motoxrdr
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Motoxrdr »

Just downloaded the Imaengine app and it is awesome! what size hatching gap have you found too work best?
DXF

Post by DXF »

plasmanewbie wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:20 am
DXF wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:15 pm :Like I would reverse the colors.....you've got this! :Like

Dave Hanks
Not sure why that thought never crossed my mind but great idea Dave! I will try one reversed and see how that looks :Like
Here's a picture of my Dad I traced in Corel Draw 20 years ago. Wish I would have had the Imaengine app then, probably spent 5 or 6 hours to get it cut ready from a real poor quality newspaper obituary picture. If the colors were reversed on this it would in my opinion look like an xray.

Dave Hanks

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

plasmanewbie

Post by plasmanewbie »

Motoxrdr wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:11 pm Just downloaded the Imaengine app and it is awesome! what size hatching gap have you found too work best?
The image I posted above uses a gap of .010", could go half of that if you wanted but on aluminum the lines get pretty close together. On stainless steel where it doesn't scribe so deep I have gone down to a .001" and it creates a really cool laser etched effect.

Return to “DXF & SVG Plasma Cutting File Sharing Forum”