Langmuir Systems CrossFire or CrossFire Pro

Langmuir Crossfire, Crossfire Pro, Crossfire XR plasma table discussion forum
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Langmuir Systems CrossFire or CrossFire Pro

Post by adbuch »

These look interesting. Does anyone on this forum own one? If so - what are your thoughts and impressions of your machine.

David
ctgolfer1
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Re: Langmuir Systems CrossFire or CrossFire Pro

Post by ctgolfer1 »

I have been running one since April or so. Great machine. I love it. Very much fun to have around, there is a learning curve but even this old guy was able to get it. For a inexpensive machine it is very well built.

A lot of good information on Langmuir forum, bunch of folks willing to help.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Did you get the Crossfire or the Pro model? I have a customer who bought the earlier version with no Z motor when they first came out. He had to try to learn how to use Fusion 360. I think he likes it. Did you get the ready to cut art disc files with your machine?
Thanks,
David
ctgolfer1
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by ctgolfer1 »

adbuch wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:31 am Did you get the Crossfire or the Pro model? I have a customer who bought the earlier version with no Z motor when they first came out. He had to try to learn how to use Fusion 360. I think he likes it. Did you get the ready to cut art disc files with your machine?
Thanks,
David
I have the crossfire with the xl option installed. The Pro is not out yet, just pre-sold for January. There is no Z axis option from Langmuir out yet, it will be out in January or April for those of us that want to add it to our crossfire machines.
I do not have room in my shop for the Pro.
Z axis is a great feature but it is not required to do some good work with the Crossfire. I did have to learn Fusion 360 and I can run it pretty good now, just took some quiet time to concentrate on it to learn it. The Langmuir videos are good for learning it.
There are likely to be hundreds of used Crossfire machines on the market when the pro starts to ship. I am sure some great deals will be out there, it may be the way to go if you want to wait a few months. New is nice to have though.

I don't know what "ready to cut art disc files" you are referring to. There are thousands of cutable files on this forum you can download and cut for free. Langmuir has some files on their site as well for free.
Cyclonemfg
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Cyclonemfg »

I just picked one up. For the money what a surprise!
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Was it a "good" surprise? How do you like it so far?
David
ctgolfer1
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by ctgolfer1 »

Cyclonemfg wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:00 pm I just picked one up. For the money what a surprise!
Congrats man, you are going to love it.
Be patient learning it but the potential is unlimited.
For what I do with the Crossfire I don't think I have ever spent better money on a tool or piece of equipment then I have with the Langmuir. It just fits my needs perfectly, but.....I am not trying to make a living with it.
As I look back through my old cut files I realize I have cut a bunch of stuff that I could not have made before the Crossfire came along. If my only other choices were $5000+ machines I would not be cnc plasma cutting.
rccrazy30
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by rccrazy30 »

I've been a fan of Langmuir since the original crossfire came out. Both times I've been super quick on the order button. I think my crossfire was #42 and the new pro is #37. Because I was in Batch 1 for the original crossfire I was able to sell it for pretty much what I paid for it... so it made a lot of sense for $1000k to make the upgrade

I just got the last box in last week. These guys did a fantastic job on the packaging. Every large part is protected and wrapped. All the hardware Is individually bagged and numbered. All the instructions are right on their web site for the most part pretty easy to follow. I will admit I got myself turned around and put some things together backward :HaHa but easy enough to correct.

With the Pro table, they have gone away from using Mach 3 and have "Fire Control" at this point I haven't cut anything but have jogged the machine around and played with fire control. So far. I like what I see.

The difference between the Crossfire and the Crossfire Pro is drastic. Don't get me wrong the Crossfire is/was a decent machine. The pro feels super solid. You can walk up to it and try to shake it and nothing budges.

I'm already working on some modifications I want to make before I get to use the table. I'm adding a lower shelf to hold the Plasma cutter and a reservoir. I currently have the machine set up in my warehouse for my main company that has nothing to do with metalworking... We have A LOT of cardboard boxes. When I need to cut something or weld something I always try to do it away from the boxes and near a garage door. With the original crossfire, It was kind of a PITA every time I need to use it Id have to roll it out fill the water pan set up the plasma cutter, laptop, etc. It would take me about a half-hour to set up to cut a part that took 2 minutes. I'm hoping by self-containing everything I need to cut It will make me want to use the machine more.
plasma pro 2.jpg
Plasma Pro 3.jpg
plasma pro.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

PWCNC70
1 Star Elite Contributing Member
1 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by PWCNC70 »

I have the original 2x2 and now the pro!
last box for the PRO just showed up few days ago.
the 2x2 has been great. ive ive cut a bunch of projects and parts.
with the demand for bigger items the 4x3 serves the purpose and the THC Is a definite +
Hole Shot Garage
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Hole Shot Garage »

I have a Pro, just got mine running about 2 weeks ago . I am a totally green to CNC plasma tables this is my first . SO that being said I am very impressed with the table. First it was easy to follow directions for assembly. Second even a green horn like me was able to run a first cut with it. Third If you have any issues and i mean any with your table or software, Email the guys at Langmuir and they will respond very quickly . The only mistakes were my own when setting the table up. Langmuir has been spot on.
X53Gunner
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by X53Gunner »

Well I have a welding shop, powder coating, general fabrication. I do stuff on the side as I'm a disabled vet and just work from home trying to make a bit of cash. I'm thinking I want to jump on the CrossFire Pro. I know there are a lot of DSX files to download. I'm very computer literate, was just wondering how hard it is to learn the programing to come up with my own parts? Thanks!
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Fusion is pretty easy to learn for the basic drawing of parts for your own designs. Langmuir has some excellent Fusion 360 tutorials.
David

https://www.langmuirsystems.com/software/fusion
Langmuir Fusion 360 tutorials.jpg

X53Gunner
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by X53Gunner »

Thanks!
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

You're welcome.
David
tburnside
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by tburnside »

I have the pro. I just did my “first” paying job. 76 brackets machine worked great but I am pretty new to all of this so my learning curve on the settings took a little longer. For those that have experience I would say for the money, it is a great machine. They did send me a wrong part (two left rails) but they sent out the correct one no issues.

I did preorder mine and it did take a long time to get here but they have really responsive customer service so I really can’t be unhappy, I have been in the same spot myself.
Jaffakatie
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Jaffakatie »

Hi rccrazy30
You said:
rccrazy30 wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:18 pm I'm already working on some modifications I want to make before I get to use the table. I'm adding a lower shelf to hold the Plasma cutter and a reservoir.
Firstly I'm a beginner at this stuff we have a cheap plasma cutter, no table and this is the start and I'm looking into getting a CFPro. Could you please explain the problems that you see that has led to you doing these modifications.
What would someone do with the PCutter without the shelf, would it just be sitting on the ground underneath or on a table next to?
Why is a reservoir needed? Does the water in the table need to be topped up or drained a lot?? Could it be just drained and topped up with a hose otherwise?
Thanks in advance for your insights.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Jaffakatie wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:36 pm Hi rccrazy30
You said:
rccrazy30 wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:18 pm I'm already working on some modifications I want to make before I get to use the table. I'm adding a lower shelf to hold the Plasma cutter and a reservoir.
Firstly I'm a beginner at this stuff we have a cheap plasma cutter, no table and this is the start and I'm looking into getting a CFPro. Could you please explain the problems that you see that has led to you doing these modifications.
What would someone do with the PCutter without the shelf, would it just be sitting on the ground underneath or on a table next to?
Why is a reservoir needed? Does the water in the table need to be topped up or drained a lot?? Could it be just drained and topped up with a hose otherwise?
It is not necessary to have a shelf under the plasma table, the plasma cutter can sit on the floor under or next to the table, or on a shelf or cart next to the table. A reservoir is not needed - water or coolant can be added to the water tray with a hose or bucket. My Hypertherm 85 (and sometimes 45xp) sits on a mobile cart next to the table. I have never drained my water tray in 3+ years I have been using it. The water evaporates at such a rate that if I don't add water to top it up on a regular basis, it will completely evaporate in around 3 to 4 weeks. My table is a Plasmacam DHC2 4x4, and my water tray is 4 ft. x 4 ft. x 4 inches deep - I typically run the water level about 1/2" below the top of the water tray. I use Hangstefer's S500 water soluble coolant mixed with water, mixed at about 1 qt. per 20 gallons of water - mainly to help inhibit rust/corrosion as my water tray is constructed from 11 ga. steel. I have diamond mesh screen in my water tray supported so that it is about 2 inches above the bottom of the tray. This screen catches most small parts/pieces and keeps them off the bottom of the water tray.

David

https://photos.app.goo.gl/h8LHufi6frttfGNQA
water tray.jpg
20201023_232049_resized.jpg

rccrazy30
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by rccrazy30 »

Jaffakatie wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:36 pm Hi rccrazy30
You said:
Firstly I'm a beginner at this stuff we have a cheap plasma cutter, no table and this is the start and I'm looking into getting a CFPro. Could you please explain the problems that you see that have led to you doing these modifications?
Why is the reservoir needed? Does the water in the table need to be topped up or drained a lot?? Could it be just drained and topped up with a hose otherwise?

As stated above you don't necessarily have to have the shelf. I just like to maximize my storage area. As far as the tank goes In my shop I need to be able to move the table so leaving the water in the pan is not an option for me. So the tank allows me to drain into a holding tank when not in use.

The Cross Fire Pro is a great table and doesn't really "need" any modifications to be a great table.

Check Langmuir's website and make sure you're plasma cutter is compatible
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

rccrazy30 wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:20 am As stated above you don't necessarily have to have the shelf. I just like to maximize my storage area. As far as the tank goes In my shop I need to be able to move the table so leaving the water in the pan is not an option for me. So the tank allows me to drain into a holding tank when not in use.
That's a great idea to be able do drain into a tank to move your table around your shop. I have my Plasmacam table bolted to the floor, so I just keep adding water as it evaporates.
David
Jaffakatie
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Jaffakatie »

Some tables must have been in use a little while now. What problems are being experienced with them please? what is the support like?
Joe243672
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Joe243672 »

I had the original crossfire. Was a good little machine.. It got me into the plasma game. Gave it to my cousin and built a 4x8 precision plasma table with candc controls. But anyway that little crossfire worked awsome for the most part. If you are looking into one go with the pro if not the new xr. They work very well for the price that they are.
Crossfire Plasma Table
Hypertherm pm 85 cpc rs-485
Miller 252 mig
Miller dynasty 280 Tic/stick
Metabo Mag drill
various Fab equipment
4x8 precision plasma table
G5 c and cnc controls
“ the Shop “ were it all happens
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Joe243672 wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 1:26 pm I had the original crossfire. Was a good little machine.. It got me into the plasma game. Gave it to my cousin and built a 4x8 precision plasma table with candc controls. But anyway that little crossfire worked awsome for the most part. If you are looking into one go with the pro if not the new xr. They work very well for the price that they are.
:Like :Like :Like :Like :Like
Welder6131
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Welder6131 »

Sorry some of this may be a repeat to what others have said, but I have had the CF Pro with THC for 1 year now and am using it on a daily basis for my small business. I use the Fusion 360 for CAD / CAM along with Inkscape for other items like artsy stuff. The biggest problem I have found so far with Fusion is if you are using a office / wimpy computer it will choke on the larger drawing that have tons of points.....so don't skimp on the computer if you use fusion. I also run a hypertherm PM 65 and couldn't be happier with the cut output and plug and play capability to the CF Pro.

Where you need to be careful with the CF Pro is taking the time when you build it to make sure everything is spot on square and level, or it will bite you in the butt when you start making cuts. (I had to rebuild some parts of my table due to my oversights)

The table capacity can be frustrating at times on big projects which require you to be creative in you production process steps and indexing of the part, but it can be done. If big projects are going to be the norm I would save some headache and get the CF XR. Most of my work is within the table capacity with the occasional job that requires me to index the material. I created a table fence with measuring scale for this purpose.

So long story short, they are a great table for the money and I would buy it again if I had too.

The Langmuir Forum / support has been fantastic, tons of knowledge and help in a pinch.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

That is great to hear! Thanks for your review. We would love to see some photos of your table setup with your indexing fence as well as some of the projects you are working on (or have made in the past).
David

Return to “Langmuir Crossfire Forum”