Thermal Dynamics vx. Hypertherm

Don't see your table manufacturer listed above? Post here in this forum.
Dawgonhawg
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Thermal Dynamics vx. Hypertherm

Post by Dawgonhawg »

I currently have TD cutter. I would like to know if any one has owned both TD and Hypertherm. Which one did you like best and why? Which one produced the best quality product? Also Hypertherm has " fine cutting consumables". Do they make much difference in kerf size and quality? Any info would be appreciated
Thank you, Dawg
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Thermal Dynamics vx. Hypertherm

Post by jimcolt »

Just make sure you compare "apples to apples".....newest or same vintage technology and same factory thickness and power ratings. Often I see units that are rated for 1/4" max pierce compared to others that are rated for 1/2"...or a 20 year old unit from one brand compared to the latest technology from another. Both companies have come a long way with plasma technology in the last 10 years.

Being a 34 year Hypertherm guy....my comments would appear biased!

Jim Colt
sadisticiron
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by sadisticiron »

i have a TD 101, seeing what mine cuts and what a hyper 45 cuts. i think hypertherm cuts way better almost laser like than a TD. seems like my TD is very tempermental to everything and the cut height of a TD seems a little high cause a kerf after only a few cuts. i had to go with a TD cuz of the price that i bought mine for and the welding supply store doesnt carry hypertherm consumables
rock4xfab
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by rock4xfab »

I bought my TD cutmaster 51 because it was local purchase and at the time, they had the removable torch. I wanted to go from a CNC table to hand with little effort. After seeing the support Jim gives on the site I probably would have bought a Hypertherm just based on his service alone... When i have the funds availabe to purchase a bigger machine the choice wont be to difficult but I know I will spend more as I will need a machine torch and a hand torch, 2 things I already own unfortunetly in the wrong brand LOL
Dawgonhawg
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Dawgonhawg »

Do the fine cut consumibles make enought difference in the quality of a item to warrant the extra cost for a Hypertherm?
stray cat
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by stray cat »

I have had both a TD A120 and a hypertherm 1650. There is only about $800.00 difference. I WILL NOT ever buy a TD again. I have a TD handheld and that works alot better than the A120 ever did. The only thing i could say bad about the 1650 is the heat sensor for the cooling fans goes out. Have had 2 new 1650's and with in a month the cooling fan quits working, but not that big of deal, just bypassed them so the fan is on all the time. The fine cut are the way to go, that's about all we ever use for consumables, they work great for 10ga just like the book says.
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

Lingbeek,

Can you get back to me with details of the cooling fan issue? I would like to report it to our "Voice of the Customer" program that tracks all field failures. If I could get serial number info, how it was determined to fail, and who did your work with (Hypertherm internal tech service or a distributor?) to get the issue resolved?

You can email me directly.

Jim Colt Hypertherm jim.colt@hypertherm.com
swalker1
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by swalker1 »

We had a plasmacam machine in our shop that had a TD torch on it. We had more problems with that dang thing then you could imagine. It would leave a horrible amount of slag, jagged edges, and would go through tips like a fat kid goes through cake. We switched over to the Hypertherm and everything was gravy. We went through WAY less tips and only had problems with it overheating when I was cutting 1/4 inch plate with it. Awesome machines. I will always go with Hypertherm from now on.
IndplsIron
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by IndplsIron »

I just purchases a used plasmacam dhc2 with a thermal dynamics cm 52. I got it all hooked up and the dhc is not sensing the material. I followed the video manual with my sensor and still no luck. It has a hand held torch. Can anyone weigh in some things to check?
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

Are you using the Ohmic contact function? If so....the ohmic contact wire from the DHC2 must be connected to a special "ohmic" retaining cap and shield on your torch. This is used to sense the surface of the plate.

Are you sure you have the proper functions checked to allow the height control to activate under the settings/Torch Height tab?

A great site that will help you troubleshoot and learn more about the PlasmaCam is www.plasmacam.com....then go to the owners section on the site. You can access it with your machine serial number. There are hundreds of other PlasmaCam owners that help each other out as well as PlasmaCam technical reps on the site as well.

Another site which is independant is a Yahoo user group called PlasmaPig. Again, hundreds of experienced PlasmaCam owners that help each other and share info on this site.

I also have a DHC2 with a Hypertherm Powermax85.....I'll be happy to help you out.....but get mor specific on what the machine is / is not doing!

Jim Colt
IndplsIron
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by IndplsIron »

Ok, the machine is cutting now but, after making a cut on a file and moving to the next cut, it fails to sense the material until I initialize the machine again? Any thought on what might cause this?

Return to “Various Manufacturers Forum”