You're welcome! Happy to help.
David
Joe Jones
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: router attachment

Post by Joe Jones »

"Scotty! I need more Z, and I need it NOW!"

I wish I had a MEMORY! With the help of John Derby, I was able to have several rail riser kits manufactured and assembled. They give the PlasmaCam tables a full 6" of Z travel, and they are top notch components, all laser cut, TIG welded and powder coated. The kits raise the rails 6-1/4" to give you a bit more rapid travel space too.

I financed it, and was partially involved in the planning of it, but John is really the man who deserves the BULK of the credit for it. He made 25 kits for me. I put one of them on my 510 table, and another is set aside for future use :wink: Two more kits are spoken for already.

Unfortunately, while installing the kit onto my 510 table, I inadvertently set the other ACME screws aside ... SOMEWHERE. Apparently they have disappeared into a black hole. I have searched and search for them, with no joy. Friends have come over to HELP me search for them, with no joy.

The kits cannot be sold without the ACME screws, which are 10-1/2" in length and cost me about $4,000.00 to produce. So I am still searching for them. If I do not find them soon, I will order them again. I am sure I will find them AFTER the replacements arrive in the mail. :lol: That's okay, because after these 21 remaining kits sell, I will have another 25 kits made. These kits DO NOT void the PlasmaCam warranty in any way. EVERY component is BOLT-ON, and the table can be restored to factory configuration at any time.

I will take a road trip soon, to install these kits on TWO 510 tables. We will take photos, and perhaps short videos of the installation process.

In order to use these kits, you should have the (CSB) Customizable Size Upgrade for your DesignEdge software, since you will now be able to work in a 6" Z space. The upgrade is available through PlasmaCam for the AMAZING low price of $998.00 :HaHa I have no control over that, but it IS worth the price if you are going to raise your rails, or get into routing.

Of course, you can save some money by purchasing John Derby's rail riser kit, which gives your table 4" of Z (or is it 4-1/2"?) with NO modifications to the table or the carriage. John is a SMART guy! He figured out how to give you those 4" of Z without drilling a single hole, or voiding your Golden PlasmaCam Warranty! He did a great job on those kits, and he HAS them available RIGHT NOW, for those of you who just want that extra 2" of Z for thicker materials, and tubing, etc.

The other way to do it is to use linear actuators. This retains the 2" of Z travel for the original backing plate, but the RAILS and GANTRY can be raised to greater heights. This video of my 4x4 table (below) has been around a while, but it shows my table with the actuators installed. It gives my table 27-1/2" of Z for those projects that cannot be done in a 2" or 6" space. The actuators are available from Progressive Automations

I was surprised to see that the price of the FLT-04 set has come DOWN now. I paid $1,200.00 for each of three sets, but they are now selling for $875.00 :Sad A bit of Redneck ingenuity is required to set them up on a table. you have to make base plates for the actuators to attach to the four legs, and connect them to a 2"x3" rectangular tube that is beneath each. Then you square everything up, weld it together, and connect the two brains and remote controller, along with protecting the cables from hot sparks and dross. You also have to create a floating STOP for the gantry to return to the home position, because it will not hit the original table leg. Once they are installed, Hooo-Wheee!

http://www.progressiveautomations.com/products/flt-04

abmetal
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by abmetal »

DANG, JOE. That's neater than socks on a rooster!

Allen
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

abmetal wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 9:57 am DANG, JOE. That's neater than socks on a rooster!

Allen
With a bit of redneck engineering, I can cut up to 24" diameter pipe this way without needing the pipe cutting attachment or the software upgrade. I can also route larger diameter posts and columns. I can actually make a totem pole with this setup :lol:

It really gives me a lot of options.

Return to “PlasmaCam, Samson, & Go Torch Forum”