Hoping for assistance with scaling issues when converting

If you are looking for help with a file conversion please post it here rather than in the file sharing forums.
HARJO
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Hoping for assistance with scaling issues when converting

Post by HARJO »

Hi all,

I don't do much artistic stuff, so I'm not well equipped with software and knowledge on the topic. I do all of my structural work in Bendtech, which doesn't handle art well at all. I wanted to make a bass shaped keychain with my name cutout, and I have bumped into a MASSIVE issue. I dumbed my way through inkscape, set all the document properties to inches, scaled my finished SVG to be right around 4" x 2".

Now I have two problems i can't seem to figure out:
1. When I saved a copy as DXF straight from inkscape, it adds a bunch of weird lines that don't exist in the drawing in normal or outline view. These lines show up when adding the .dxf to any DXF viewer, including the sendcutsend website.
2. When I add the SVG to Convertio online to convert from SVG to DXF, the drawing comes out HUGE. I mean, like 100+ inches huge.

My current PC doesn't have the horsepower to run Fusion360, so that option is out altogether.

The heck am I missing? I've attached the SVG for reference, feel free to save and modify for yourselves.

I just want this POS to be 4" long and 2" tall. Any insight? Thanks!!!

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Hoping for assistance with scaling issues when converting

Post by adbuch »

I opened your svg file with Inkscape and it appears to be about 4" long.

image 1.jpg

When you save as dxf from Inkscape be sure to set base units to "inches".

Inkscape - set base units to inches - image.jpg
I opened the resulting dxf with Design Edge and the size appears to be correct.

David

correct size now.jpg

acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

I don't see your problem attached is what SheetCam looks like size is very close to 2" X 4" I uploaded your SVG into Inkscape and saved it as DXF then opened it in SheetCam
bottle opener 2.dxf
bottle opener.JPG

DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

acourtjester wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 5:24 pm I don't see your problem attached is what SheetCam looks like size is very close to 2" X 4" I uploaded your SVG into Inkscape and saved it as DXF then opened it in SheetCam
bottle opener 2.dxf
bottle opener.JPG
I think the key is to set the base units to "inches" when saving as dxf from Inkscape. He probably had it set to some other units.
David
TJS
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by TJS »

Just bypass the .DXF and open the new part as an .SVG in sheetcam. That is all I do.
HARJO
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by HARJO »

Thanks guys, I appreciate the input! I think you're right David, I don't think I had set the base unit to inches coming out of Inkscape as a .dxf. That would likely be the issue with scale when saving as a .dxf; but I also still have figure out why saving as a such is causing weird lines that were never a part of the original drawing to appear. Picture attached for reference.

@TJS, I typically do just use the SVG importing an art drawing into Sheetcam... But I realize now that I ommitted that my end goal was to get a few of these laser cut at SendCutSend, for which they don't accept .svg files. I was hoping to go that route since my current little homebuilt table doesn't handle rapid IPM rates very well, thusly the quality on thin material with more complex shape is shamefully poor.
ScreenCapture.JPG

adbuch

Post by adbuch »

HARJO wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 7:14 pm Thanks guys, I appreciate the input! I think you're right David, I don't think I had set the base unit to inches coming out of Inkscape as a .dxf. That would likely be the issue with scale when saving as a .dxf; but I also still have figure out why saving as a such is causing weird lines that were never a part of the original drawing to appear. Picture attached for reference.

@TJS, I typically do just use the SVG importing an art drawing into Sheetcam... But I realize now that I ommitted that my end goal was to get a few of these laser cut at SendCutSend, for which they don't accept .svg files. I was hoping to go that route since my current little homebuilt table doesn't handle rapid IPM rates very well, thusly the quality on thin material with more complex shape is shamefully poor.ScreenCapture.JPG
It looks to me like the bass opener you show above in your screen shot is not the same one as you originally listed at the top of this thread as a svg.
The original had much larger letters. Are you sure you don't have two different files? I once again opened your original svg with Inkscape and this is what it looks like.
harjo bass svg opened with Inkscape.jpg
I saved from Inkscape as dxf and opened with Design Edge and this is what I see.
harjo bass dxf opened with Design Edge.jpg
The screen shot you posted above looks like maybe an earlier version with small letters and the gils drawn in.

David

HARJO
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by HARJO »

Hi David, you are correct, I did have two different files. I gave up trying to solve the extra lines being added issue out of frustration. I ended up re-drawing it from scratch, so the scaling and details were slightly different. I included that pic on the string here because I cannot figure out for the life of me why those lines appear in the .dxf but are nowhere in the SVG. I checked for extra layers, duplication of text, etc. and cannot for the life of me figure out why those extra lines exist. So for that topic, I'm just trying to understand what not to do to cause that the next time.

After reading your suggestion about scale and setting the base unit to inches, I attempted another save as a .dxf straight from inkscape, making sure to set the base unit to inches and was still having the massive scaling issue. I verified the issue persisted both with sheetcam's measuring tool and on the sendcutsend website.

To resolve the scaling issue, I found a different online SVG to DXF converter(I was originally using converti.co). That separate attempt on cloudconvert.com with the same .svg, and the .dxf product of that conversion comes out just fine.

Return to “File Conversion Help Wanted”