Grounding Powermax 85

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
Rhett
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Grounding Powermax 85

Post by Rhett »

I am having RF or EMI issues with my plasma table (Hypertherm Powermax 85, EZCut CNC 6x12). I had a service tech come look at my setup and he recommended I isolate the ground of my plasma power supply, isolate the ground of my big shop welder, and isolate the ground of my plasma table. In other words, I shouldn't use the building ground of the electrical system for any of these.

My plasma table is already grounded to an 8' copper rod driven through the slab right underneath the table. However, he said it was offering 9600 ohms of resistance and was not an effective ground. Not sure how that is the case.

Anyway, I have since read the Hypertherm recommendations. They don't say anything about grounding in this way. They just plug the power supply into the 220 and it gets grounded through the building. I'm not sure what to do at this point.

Does anyone have any recommendations?
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Grounding Powermax 85

Post by adbuch »

Rhett wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:42 pm I am having RF or EMI issues with my plasma table (Hypertherm Powermax 85, EZCut CNC 6x12).
Please be more specific as to the problem(s) you are having. In other words, how is the "RF or EMI" affecting your plasma table?
David
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by weldguy »

That's odd, shouldn't be that tough. So you can do dry runs all day and no problem but when you turn the plasma on and try to cut what happens? Is your controller plugged into a properly wired outlet with functioning ground?
HypHyDef
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by HypHyDef »

Hi Rhett, have you tried contacting Hypertherm Technical Support as well as EZcut CNC to talk with them about this issue?
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Without having more specific information from the OP, it is nearly impossible to help him.
David
SegoMan DeSigns
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SegoMan DeSigns »

adbuch

Post by adbuch »

SegoMan DeSigns wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:28 am You see this thread?

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=23131&p=140575&hili ... ng#p140575
Thanks for sharing that thread! Lots of good information there. But since we really have no idea what the OP's specific problems are, there is really no way of telling if he has a noise problem or what. And since he hasn't responded back to this thread, no way of knowing if he will follow up or not.

I have sent him a PM.

David
SegoMan DeSigns
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SegoMan DeSigns »

adbuch wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:41 am
SegoMan DeSigns wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:28 am You see this thread?

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=23131&p=140575&hili ... ng#p140575
Thanks for sharing that thread! Lots of good information there. But since we really have no idea what the OP's specific problems are, there is really no way of telling if he has a noise problem or what. And since he hasn't responded back to this thread, no way of knowing if he will follow up or not.

I have sent him a PM.

David
RF Interference can be a tricky one, ground rods are hit and miss at times due to soil makeup and moisture content. I put mine under the eve side of the building so run off would keep it wet, however Colo is on it's 20th yr of the 10 yr drought :HaHa

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”