Air Compressor

All topics related to compressed air supply.
tirediron
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Air Compressor

Post by tirediron »

I just finished a couple of 3d ants, as well as other projects, I've determined that the air compressor that I now have is not big enough. I'm looking at the Ingersoll Rand 80 gal 5hp with 15.8 cfm at 90 psi. I'm using a TD A40 plasma cutter on top of a cnc machine from Plasma Route. I value the input of the members of this forum, so if anyone has any other suggestions - - - ;)

Thanks

Gerry
I Lean
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: Air Compressor

Post by I Lean »

What is the model number of the IR you're looking at? I just upgraded to an older-version 2340, and it's FANTASTIC compared to the Husky 60gal. single stage I had before. (Husky was rated optimistically at 10.3 CFM @ 90)

My old one would run continuously while cutting, and slowly lose ground until I had to pause cutting to let it catch up. Now it will actually cycle and shut off during cutting, and it only runs about 2 minutes at a time compared to 20-30 minutes continuous before.

I'm guessing no matter what you're possibly looking at, it's going to be a 2-stage model more intended for an "industrial" setting rather than home use, so it'll be well suited for your use.
FiveORacing
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by FiveORacing »

I was recently looking at the Lowes 17.5 SCFM @ 100 PSI compressor. It was on sale for about $750.00. But then I bought out a shop and aquired a 25hp 100cfm Twistair Rotary. Needless to say I have enough air now. :o Of course it's about the size of a Mini Cooper. :lol:

Looks like this:

elkriverfab
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by elkriverfab »

FiveORacing.

That is the size of my tank.

I aquired an older (1943) compressor that was in my grandfathers shop for years.

It worked fine but started taking a little too long to fill the tank (cylinder rings getting worn) after using it for my main air supply for plasma cutting.

At the time I took a chance and bought the biggest twin cylinder, two stage head I could find and paired it with a new quality electric motor.

That old compressor is on its second life now and has been keeping up with the plasma cutting for over 5 years now.

I did however run the air intake outdoors so it would suck fresh air and not dirty shop air.

I do like your twistair rotary........Sure is better than that Lowe's model :D
"OK, Now hold my beer and I'll try it"
tirediron
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by tirediron »

I Lean wrote:What is the model number of the IR you're looking at? I just upgraded to an older-version 2340, and it's FANTASTIC compared to the Husky 60gal. single stage I had before. (Husky was rated optimistically at 10.3 CFM @ 90)

My old one would run continuously while cutting, and slowly lose ground until I had to pause cutting to let it catch up. Now it will actually cycle and shut off during cutting, and it only runs about 2 minutes at a time compared to 20-30 minutes continuous before.

I'm guessing no matter what you're possibly looking at, it's going to be a 2-stage model more intended for an "industrial" setting rather than home use, so it'll be well suited for your use.
Sorry about not responding quicker I'm out in Reno helping some friends move. I'm looking at the IR TS4N5 that I found at Tractor Supply.

I really need a bigger compressor so I think I will go ahead a bite the bullet, as they say. I am going to build a small enclosure outside of my shop to reduce the noise level in my shop.

Thanks for the response!

Return to “Air Dryers, Air Filters, Air Compressors, Etc.”