Powermax 65 Arc Ok ?

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
mav68erick
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Powermax 65 Arc Ok ?

Post by mav68erick »

Hello Ive searched the web and still cant find what Im looking for, espeically since it should be a common question.
I got a powermax 65, no CPC no interface. Just using the hand torch. I got my trigger wired up and arc divider wires hooked up to my CandCnc board inside my unit and everything works good I just turn arc ok off in mach3.'

Now since I have no arc ok I also leave my dthc off but Im having an issue and im pretty sure its due to arc ok not being hooked up. Some times my torch will pierce my hole move down and stop firing and continue to cut ( obviously theres a stop if arc ok ) but next hole will work fine. I had to cut 1 part 3 times to get everything to cut out, but now my last 3 things ive cut seems to not be doing this.

Now Ive seen where the interface plugs into to get arc ok from a cpc port, but is this the same spot I pull them off of? because nothings labeled and just messing around.

Thanks
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Powermax 65 Arc Ok ?

Post by jimcolt »

The "arc ok" input on your CandCNC system is looking for an output contact closure from the plasma system....which occurs the moment the plasma arc transferes to the plate. The plasma system internally watches for current on the work (ground) clamp lead.....and when current is detected...it closes contacts between pins 12 and 14 on the CPC output receptacle. Not all Hypertherm Powermax65 and 85 systems are equipped with this plug.....as many systems are used as hand cutting systems (about 95% of them) and do not need this function. Hypertherm calls this output "arc transfer".

If you want to interface this output....there are two ways:

1. Hypertherm sells an upgrade kit to add the CPC plug and internal wire harness to your system, it is easy to install and costs around $100 if I remember correctly.

2. Contact Tom at CandCNC....he supplies a current sensor that monitors current flow on the work ground lead...and can supply the electronics with a contact closure as well....I am not sur of the price, but it is pretty low as I remember.

Jim Colt Hypertherm
mav68erick
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Re: Powermax 65 Arc Ok ?

Post by mav68erick »

Thx for responding Jim. I ordered the DCP from candcnc, If I get a machine torch Ill have to get the cpc port interface which Ill prolly do upon purchasing a torch.

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”