HPR130 Consumable Use & AVC Variance

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
JasonJBK
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

HPR130 Consumable Use & AVC Variance

Post by JasonJBK »

Hi, We are having issues with our HPR130 going through consumables after approx 20 pierces. We had a damaged torch lead which I have now replaced along with a new torch assembly thinking that this may be the problem causing an unstable arc. We have checked the gas pressures which seem to be fine and we have also checked and swapped out the pilot arc relay.
We thought we had fixed the problem yesterday as we ran it for about 300 pierces before it stopped but then changed the tips and got 10 pierces before it stopped again. The machine is running 130A consumables for Mild Steel.
The cut quality is very good but I have noticed that the default AVC setting is a lot different to what the machine needs to be set at to cut.
Example: Cutting 12mm plate, the default AVC is 132 but for us to get it to cut we need to manually set it at 152.
My thoughts are the issue could be with the AVC somehow. Does anyone have any thoughts on what the issue could be?
I have attached pics of the consumables after 20 pierces.

Thanks,
20221220_045501.jpg
20221220_045450.jpg
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: HPR130 Consumable Use & AVC Variance

Post by weldguy »

That's a bummer. Are you using compressed air with this system? It looks like your air needs to be cleaned up judging by the carbon deposits in your nozzle and on the electrode. Moisture, oil, can cause consumables to wear out significantly quicker. it is possible that your first run was great with clean new torch lead and now it too has moisture or oil in it. It will clear out over time if you can clean your air up.
JasonJBK
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Re: HPR130 Consumable Use & AVC Variance

Post by JasonJBK »

We are using both compressed and bottle oxygen. I will now check the lines for contamination and see if that helps.
Thanks for the advice.

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”