Does Water Levels in the plasma table affect Plasma Arc Voltage?

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
N2 Welding
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Does Water Levels in the plasma table affect Plasma Arc Voltage?

Post by N2 Welding »

I am in the stages of learning as much as I can before putting together a plan on a plasma table build. Looked at scrap metal prices today. I can get steel for $0.50 / lbs regardless of type like tube, angle iron, plate etc. Anyway, While doing my research I have wondered if the water level in the water table can or does affect the arc voltage similar to how the gas in the jet stream can affect the arc voltage?

I was reading up on the Pierce Height, Cut Height, Height Control Explained Authored by Jim Colt.

In the article he describes how Gas pressure can effect arc voltage. see below

viewtopic.php?f=202&t=30526
1. Gas pressure fluctuation. Changing gas pressure changes the resistance of the plasma arc, which changes the arc voltage.
FabLab
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Re: Does Water Levels in the plasma table affect Plasma Arc Voltage?

Post by FabLab »

In my experience water level has little to no effect. that being said I normally keep the level in the same place (just licking the bottom of the stock)
N2 Welding
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by N2 Welding »

FabLab how do you combat water splash with the water column so high?
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

N2 Welding wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:49 pm FabLab how do you combat water splash with the water column so high?
Jim Colt is not a big fan of water tables where the torch and/or consumables get wet. I run a water tray/draft system on my Plasmacam table, but the water level is well below the cutting grates. As such there is no problem with the water affecting the arc voltage.

David

PS - Here is a link to my water table build, just in case you are interested.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/h8LHufi6frttfGNQA
20170713_225905.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

N2 Welding
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by N2 Welding »

@adbuch, That table looks familiar, like one I saw on YouTube earlier today. Nice shop full of nice tools btw. I took a quick look at your linkand saw enough to know that you have a very special build with Cleco’s and all that. I’ll have to boot up a pc to browse all the pics in better detail. Thank you for sharing :)
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

zowie that is a lot of welding on your table David. I get a 5' X 10' sheet of 18 Ga cut off a foot and notch the corners. I get a shop to bend up the sides and weld the corner closed, run a 1/2 square tube along the side edges. install a drain and have a removable grate setup.
But as DIY types we build what we want, yours looks great. :Yay
4x8 table new.JPG
DSCN2086.JPG
DSCN2094.JPG
DSCN2095.JPG
2 tables 4x4 and new 4x8.JPG

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
FabLab
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by FabLab »

N2 Welding wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:49 pm FabLab how do you combat water splash with the water column so high?
I am not sure I understand your question, but there is really nothing to combat, there is a little water that comes up thru the kerf but nothing I would consider excessive.

I added the water table about 2 years after I built the table & I didn't notice any difference in consumable wear after adding the water table.

Hope that helps.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

acourtjester wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:32 am zowie that is a lot of welding on your table David. I get a 5' X 10' sheet of 18 Ga cut off a foot and notch the corners. I get a shop to bend up the sides and weld the corner closed, run a 1/2 square tube along the side edges. install a drain and have a removable grate setup.
But as DIY types we build what we want, yours looks great. :Yay
4x8 table new.JPG
DSCN2086.JPG
DSCN2094.JPG
DSCN2095.JPG
2 tables 4x4 and new 4x8.JPG
Tom - I built my water tray from 11 ga. steel, so probably too thick to bend and keep nice sharp corners. I wanted it thick, so it will last a while. So far it is holding up fine. I was on a budget. If cost was no option, then I would have gone with thinner stainless steel and bent/welded. Nice job there on your build!!

David

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”