Start points in Sheetcam

SheetCam related questions and tips can be posted here
FiveORacing
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Start points in Sheetcam

Post by FiveORacing »

Been using TurboCad and Sheetcam to create my files and I've run into a problem a couple of times now. Actually two different issues.
1. I'll import a drawing into Sheetcam and find it has more than one (usually two) start points (let's say tangents) for the same object (ie: a letter) when it needs one. I'll go back to the drawing and find it's usually overlapping lines or a broken line in the object. So I work on it, not sure if there is a fast way to find all the overlapping lines, I haven't figured it out yet, so I blow up the area REAL BIG and find the culprit, isolate it and delete it. I go through this process and after a while, sometimes a long while, I'll get the appropriate number of start points. Is there an easy way to find and remove overlapping lines?

2. I worked on a drawing for an hour tonight (lot's of letters)and after importing, Sheetcam displays it as two different colors, yellow and and white. The yellow parts will generate a starting tangent inside the object correctly, but the white parts will have no tangent, just a start point on the line even though its a part needing an inside tangent starting point. It's treating these parts the same as a line. Sheetcam won't let me edit them to creat a tangent either. What do I need to do to the drawing so that all the parts are the same color and Sheetcam recognizes it needs an inside tangent or arc?

It's not layers, I reduced it to one properly, but I'm at a loss as to how to correct it?

Any help would be appreciated.
FiveORacing
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: Start points in Sheetcam

Post by FiveORacing »

Nobody? I worked on it more today and I think there are still lots of overlapping lines.
srp
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by srp »

I suspect your problem is turbocad. Sheetcam is only dealing with what it receives. I don't have turbocad but I would wonder if some of your settings in the cad program might be giving you the problem. Sometimes if Snap to Grid is on it will give problems like this. I make ample use of Snap to Nearest Point when editing and joining. Maybe if you could post the part you are working with and how you arrived at it. - John
FiveORacing
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by FiveORacing »

Thanks for the reply. I can't post it here but was hoping someone could offer some suggestions. I have cleaned up quite a few drawings in the short time I've been doing this, but this one has me stumped.
RClippa
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by RClippa »

For finding overlaps, it is overlapped at the one of the start points. I have yet to have one that wasn't located at the start point in one of my drawings. Sometimes it is tough to find those stupid little drawing mistakes.

The second, I have never had it import like that so I am not sure. Do you have a file that you could post so we could see the problem?
galtor
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by galtor »

I use emachineshop (free program)to ferret out those drawing problems and correct them. Just import the drawing into emachineshop and select the 3d function and it will find and auto correct or you can do it manually (auto-correct is not 100% reliable), so I do it manually it will find all the problems 1 by 1 and you can correct them. When it displays the drawing in 3d it is ready for sheet-cam. It has saved me many hours of frustration and it is a great drawing program once you learn how easy it is very intuitive.
SignTorch Vector Art
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SignTorch Vector Art »

I always used polylines in autocad, a polyline is all nice and pre-connected and closed and cuttable (arcs and lines), and almost can't be misinterpreted. If something's not right, it won't make a polyline, and the reason is usually discoverable. Don't use sheetcam to find your errors in turbocad. I assume turbocad has polylines....

Return to “SheetCam”