Update with the build ( almost alive)

Share and learn with other DIY members who have built their own plasma tables and accessories.
plasmadog
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Update with the build ( almost alive)

Post by plasmadog »

HI Guys
Here is a quick update of my 54”x 37’’ plasma table build, and a couple of questions .
I will start out with a big shout-out to acourtjester senior member in this forum that has inspired me to take on this project with advice and wisdom for me as a newbie and looking to build this as a retirement project.
This table has the following specifications.

Running a Mach3 5 axis board with parallel port and USB
The motors are Nema 23 3x 425 onzes and a 110 onze for the Z
½ acme lead screw for the x
2 T8 x 2mm pitch x 8mmm lead screws for the Y
And a ½ ball screw for the Z
3 Inch deep aluminium water pan and adjustable ratchet wheels
My Limit switches are all in series for now on all axis and E Stop on pin 12 and active. ( Works well)
Built my controller box out a computer case with a 36 volt power supplies and a 12 volt dc for the card and two other separate 12 volt power supplies that controls the optical THC.
I have incorporated a floating head and also a SoftCircuits THC ( optical) controller .

I am planning to go with a Everlast 52i plasma cutter , this table is for cutting 16 and 14 gauge mild steel only, there is still a lot to do before even cutting out a piece of steel.
This project took about 3 months to put together part time I between shovelling snow, work and shores at home .I am at the setting up point for travel on the table now .
I have calibrated both the Z and the X axis but when I got to the paired Y axis I am having this problem!
I can Jog all the way up to 90% speed back and forth no problem, But when I enter a G0 command to move the Y axis for calibrating that axis, the speed is so fast that it will bind up my gantry after the first 4 inches ! ( scary……) emergency stop stop stop lol
I am wondering how to slow down that speed when I enter a value in setting the calibration when I am asked (how far do you want this axis to move) ! I am inches.
I have been at this for a week now. I thought maybe the screw are not lined up , I changed the floppy brass backlash nuts to a POM , I thought by entering a G1 command and feed rate it might help butt cant achieve this in the calibration mode.
Here are my motor settings
X 1600.8681141 349.98 50 0.1295095 5 5
Y 2181.805 400.02 50 0.1295095 5 5
Z 4049.200833 30 8 0.0207215 5 5

Thanks guys for any advice and here is a couple of pictures of the build
Sheers.

PLasmadog
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
20230318_130855.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Update with the build ( almost alive)

Post by acourtjester »

nice work, on both the table and controller to slow down the X and Y travel in calibrations reduce the 349 and 400 values in the motor tune section. IMHO You may look at moving the Z assembly up on the mounting you will be getting water splashing up when cutting. You can also drop the mounting position of the torch holder on the Z assembly to make the torch itself lower. I can see sparks in you future. :Like :Yay
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
plasmadog
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by plasmadog »

ok thanks acourtjester for the reply and i wil most definite trie this out and let you know how it goes for sure . i am looking for also to trie and draw out a sample cut with a felt marker on paper to see how this travels , i will check out the youtube to see how this is done.

Sheers

plasmadog
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

That is talked about at the end of this post. :Like
https://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=35167
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
weldguy
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by weldguy »

Great looking build!
plasmadog
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by plasmadog »

Thanks weldguy.
I found the problem with my build , for some reason i had the dip switches setting on the paired drivers for the Y axis set at different setting.
Matched both up and all is good now .

took a wile to find this lol.
cheers

Return to “DIY Plasma Table & Accessory Discussion Forum”