How to Auto Trace a template using Design Edge

Plasmacam software related questions and tips can be posted here
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

How to Auto Trace a template using Design Edge

Post by adbuch »

This is in response to a question by Hank DeVeau at the Plasmacam Owner's Community Online Forum, but which was accidentally deleted by one of the moderators while he was attempting to "split" the thread.
IMG_1132.jpg
"This is a picture of a paper template, cut to size, a customer has brought me to be cut from steel. I have drawn reference points on it hoping that when converted I can use them for scaling.(36" between points) Can this be converted with ink scape and if so how do i do it? It would be too easy for you to do it for me but I have another one similar to this and there is a possibility of more to come so it is probably a good idea to get this figured out!!
Thanks in advance for all your help.

Oh yeah, I tried to do it in DE but it comes out too dirty"
Screenshot (17).png
Robert Johnson addressed Hanks question with some great information about using the Spline tool to pretty quickly manually trace the imported image of the template - and with great results. Robert also mentioned that he had made a video showing the process he used, but I'm not sure if it has been posted anywhere. In any case, I have another solution for Hank - which I did post to that forum - but was accidentally deleted by moderator John Derby.

Hank - if you spray paint your template flat black and place on top of a white background before taking your photo, this will make it very simple and quick to do an Auto Trace Design Edge. For future projects, this may be easier for you than using the Spline tool and manually tracing.
template painted black with white background 1.jpg
black template 1.jpg
black template 2.jpg
black template 3.jpg
black template 4.jpg
black template 5.jpg
black template 6.jpg
auto trace result.pcm
(28.5 KiB) Downloaded 71 times
rdj357
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: How to Auto Trace a template using Design Edge

Post by rdj357 »

David, you don't have to work so hard at the math when using the scale tool.
If you define your base and from points then you can enter a new dimension directly for the distance between them.

Select it, S for scale, C center snap the left circle for the base point, C center snap the right circle for the from point, then type : 36 (enter) and it will set the distance exactly.

I'm going to upload the video over on the owner community once I clip it out of the recording of our monthly LearnPlasmacam.com Zoom Q&A where I demonstrated it to them.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Thanks Robert! That is something I did not know. I'll look forward to seeing your video.
David
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

rdj357 wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 9:22 am
If you define your base and from points then you can enter a new dimension directly for the distance between them.

Select it, S for scale, C center snap the left circle for the base point, C center snap the right circle for the from point, then type : 36 (enter) and it will set the distance exactly.

Robert - I just tried your technique and it works great!! I'm always happy to learn something new about Design Edge, so thanks for sharing this.

David
rdj357

Post by rdj357 »

Always happy to help! I started editing the video and was interrupted no less than 25 times by my 10-year old yesterday so decided to give up for the day and try again later. LOL

Return to “Plasmacam - DesignEdge”