No arch

New to PlasmaSpider? Introduce yourself to the community and tell us a little about you.
Sparks58
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

No arch

Post by Sparks58 »

Howdy from Taylor Texas,
I inherited a Thermal Dynamic cutmaster 51 from my recently passed father. I had the unit periodically working at one point I was cutting practice pieces out of 1/4 plate after about twenty minutes I turned it off and retired for the night the next morning no arch then it would sputter and spit an arch. Their would be a white film and build up and the top of the starter cartridge burnt.
I'm running it at 115 psi and between 22 and 30 amps.
Changed out the consumables but still no consistent arch.
Any Ideas?
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: No arch

Post by weldguy »

I am not sure what generation of machine you have but I think those are the older black units.

Be sure you have clean and dry air, be sure the plunger is the start cartridge moves in out out freely and that the bevel edge on the end of the start cartridge plunger is smooth and clean, use scotchbrite pad to clean up if not. Also be sure the electrode is still usable by confirming the arc divot in the center is no deeper than 1/32".

What lights do you see on the front of unit when you turn it on? Attached is a image for reference of the face of the unit I think your speaking of.
TD.PNG

Return to “Introduce Yourself”