Thanks for the add!

New to PlasmaSpider? Introduce yourself to the community and tell us a little about you.
spkshop
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Thanks for the add!

Post by spkshop »

Hey everyone, I am joining from the great state of Nebraska. I am a shop teacher and we recently just added a Plasmacam to our welding shop. We will be using this machine for getting students experience to CNC machines and design software. I am looking forward to getting ideas from here and hopefully able to give more than I take. I am excited to see what everyone is making with their machines.

Thanks
-Ryan
martyy
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Thanks for the add!

Post by martyy »

Welcome! You have found a great resource in these forums. Are you already experienced in CNC work? Curious what software(s) will you be teaching?
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Thanks for the add!

Post by adbuch »

Welcome aboard Ryan! If you have just added a new Plasmacam DHC2 or 510 to your shop, then I expect you will be using and teaching Design Edge as your design software. I happen to own several of the Plasmacam DHC2 machines and absolutely love them. Your students will be able to do their designing, cut path creation, and actual cutting all from the same program. Did you purchase additional Design Edge seats for the students to work with, or are they all sharing the same seat. Are they learning any other design programs like Inkscape, CorelDraw, Fusion 360, etc? Or maybe SolidEdge? All except CorelDraw are free and have the ability to export your designs as dxf files which you can import to Design Edge for cutting.

What sorts of projects do you have in mind for your students to learn on? I'm sure you can get lots of ideas here by looking at all the cut files posted on this forum. If you get a chance, post some pictures of your welding shop and plasma table so we can see how you have it laid out.

Good Luck!

David

Return to “Introduce Yourself”