Getting started, need a little advice

New to PlasmaSpider? Introduce yourself to the community and tell us a little about you.
Dencope
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Getting started, need a little advice

Post by Dencope »

Hello all,

So I've worked in a welding shop a lot when younger, became a welder/fabricator, then pursued another career in my late 20's. Point is I have some experience in this sort of field.

Recently I've started up a small hobbyist/business in my shop, one of my purchases was a Hypertherm XP45. Looked into a CNC table but they just took up to much room and were too expensive until I found the Arcdroid. I know it's a smaller machine but should work fine for me to get started in the CNC world.

So I’ve ordered an Arcdroid, currently have a Hypertherm 45 XP and I just ordered the CPC port (428653) upgrade, the SYNC cartridge adapter (428951) for my handheld and a smartsync 45a mechanized nozzle (428925). Does that sound like all I need to get started and be able to use THC effectively? Thanks for any advice, looking forward to receiving it and getting started.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!
Joe Jones
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Getting started, need a little advice

Post by Joe Jones »

Where are you located?

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
6” Z Rail Lift Kit for PlasmaCam
CreatBot D600 PRO 3D Printer
12 Lasers
FREE DesignEdge Training!

It is more fun when it isn't necessary!
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Getting started, need a little advice

Post by adbuch »

Dencope wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 6:05 pm Hello all,

So I've worked in a welding shop a lot when younger, became a welder/fabricator, then pursued another career in my late 20's. Point is I have some experience in this sort of field.

Recently I've started up a small hobbyist/business in my shop, one of my purchases was a Hypertherm XP45. Looked into a CNC table but they just took up to much room and were too expensive until I found the Arcdroid. I know it's a smaller machine but should work fine for me to get started in the CNC world.

So I’ve ordered an Arcdroid, currently have a Hypertherm 45 XP and I just ordered the CPC port (428653) upgrade, the SYNC cartridge adapter (428951) for my handheld and a smartsync 45a mechanized nozzle (428925). Does that sound like all I need to get started and be able to use THC effectively? Thanks for any advice, looking forward to receiving it and getting started.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!
Welcome aboard! I've seen demonstration videos of the Arcdroid, but have no personal experience with one. What controller and control software does the Arcdroid use? If you have the Hypertherm 45xp, it will cut great with the standard Duramax consumables. I have one and particularly like the Hypertherm FineCut consumables for the thinner material. I'm not sure why you would need the SYNC adapter to get started. But if you're not on a tight budget, then spending the extra money for the adapter and Sync cartridges is no big deal. Having the ability to use THC will depend on the cnc plasma cutter and control software you are going to use. Does the Arcdroid controller/software have the ability to do ohmic sensing and torch height control? I suppose I could do some research and find out, but perhaps you could just let us know as I expect you have already researched it before deciding on your purchase. Good Luck!!

David

Return to “Introduce Yourself”