New member needing advice please

New to PlasmaSpider? Introduce yourself to the community and tell us a little about you.
BlindeyeWelding
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

New member needing advice please

Post by BlindeyeWelding »

Hello, I've been researching different plasma tables for a few months now. I feel like I have it narrowed down to what I can afford that meets my needs. I'm within days of pulling the trigger but I can't ignore the world around me.

Is it dumb to buy a new table right now? Would I be smarter to buy a used set up?

I'm in the process of phasing out of my current job and going it on my own. This will just be a huge help in doing so.

Thanks in advance,
Ryan
Joe Jones
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: New member needing advice please

Post by Joe Jones »

Is a PlasmaCam or a Samson 510 table one of your potential choices? :mrgreen: That is my first choice.

I know of a nice Samson 510 table with some of the software upgrades that is for sale right now in Florida.

Is it a "good time" to buy a table? That depends ENTIRELY ON YOU! Are you going to get up at 6:00 AM every morning, rain or shine, and churn out metal art by the truck load to sell at vendor booths, and on ETSY, and at flea markets and swap meets?

I have bought a LOT of "toys" (tools and machines) that I am not actively using right now. So was it a good time for ME to buy them? Probably not. However, IF and WHEN I do get back out to my shops to create and sell things, I have one Hell of an assortment of tools to use! My seventh laser just arrived the other day.

NO TABLE is a "bargain" if you are buying the table to generate an income, and you DO NOT USE IT to generate an income. If you DO use it, aggressively and relentlessly, then the actual price of the table is irrelevant, because it is a MONEY MACHINE! It won't matter if you "paid too much" for the table, if it is generating $400 per day in sales, will it?!?

I was just introduced to a man who runs four 5x10 cnc plasma tables 12-13 hours each day, to churn out metal art, and he is a selling machine! Oddly, I have more "toys" than he has, but I have not really made ANYTHING in my workshops since the covid zombie apocalypse of 2019. :-o I have added many lasers and other machines to my shops, but I am not producing ANYTING yet, as far as hard products to sell. I did have a plan to crank out Christmas ornaments, but they fell trough for several reasons, mostly because I am not motivated to "Just do It!"

If you are worried about the economy, I am right there with you, brother! Frankly, I think the whole economy is going to CRASH before the next election, IF we have an election at all. However, UNTIL that crash occurs, and IF you are really willing to work that table to produce products to sell, and distribute them via vendor booths, or ETSY, or whatever, then YES, this is a good time to get into a table. I suggest a used table if you can find one that is properly set up. In the case of a PlasmaCam table or a Samson 510 table, the SOFTWARE and the SOFTWRE UPGRADES make, or break the table.

Where are you located?

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
6” Z Rail Lift Kit for PlasmaCam
CreatBot D600 PRO 3D Printer
12 Lasers
FREE DesignEdge Training!

It is more fun when it isn't necessary!
BlindeyeWelding
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Thanks for the reply Joe. I'm a heavy equipment welder/mechanic by trade, so the parts I'm looking to get from the table will be things to make this process faster. I also make skid steer attachments, truck flatbeds, etc. So this table will just make my life a lot easier.
TJS
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by TJS »

Joe has some great advice. Here is my 2 cents. I noticed the OP has welding in his username. So I am assuming you weld and fabricate. I work full time in the Corp world and do this stuff on the side. Yes, I do ornaments and signs, but I also do other fabrication projects. Here is where the table shines. I incorporate CNC plasma cutting in about 90% of fabrication jobs I do. This is where you are ahead of the welder(person) with a drill press with hole saws and an Oxy/Acet set up to cut parts or what the project requires. I am doing a small restaurant job right now where the owner wants grease splash shields for a new griddle they just bought. The requirement is no holes or welds into the griddle. I had to cut the panels and then make a clip set up. If I were to cut this out by hand or even a sheet metal shear I would have to still do a lot of manual cutting for my slots for plug welds and such(much more overhead labor). I have built many projects with my table such as plow mounts and many other jobs that would take a very long time to make the parts for a weldment. I also built my own table. You may want to look into that as well.
T.J.
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

So ... you are planning to cut PLATE more than thin "metal art" stuff, right? Saddles? Gussets? That sort of thing?

A Samson 510 table with a Hypertherm 85 will give you the ability to cut up to 1-1/8" thick steel plate accurately. I am retired, and do this stuff for FUN! so if you do get a table, and you struggle with vector drawings, just call me or email me. I can draw up a file for you quickly, and at NO CHARGE! :HaHa

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

cutnweld
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by cutnweld »

If you are a fabricator... build your own. Or buy a starlab table or similar. A fully loaded samson will run you around 35k at least from what i have read in other posts. You can buy a lot more table for less $ in other brands that will better meet the requirements of an industrial shop. Just going by what I was told by one who owned 2 pcam and samson then switched to his own build
5X10 Shop built table
20x80x32 inch gap lathe
10x40 lathe
10x54 milling machine
2-Miller 255
Miller XMT350MPA
Lincoln squarewave tig 255
12 Ft Durma Brake
TJS

Post by TJS »

^^^ What Cutnweld said. If you got the $$ then all the power to you. I could not afford to buy one outright, so I built one for far less than what is out there. Albeit, took me quite a long time to do it as other priorities take over.
T.J.
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

If you are cutting PLATE steel, and you aren't running a router, or an engraver, etc., you can set up a Samson 510 table for much less than $35K.

$14,980.00 - The basic 510 table with "standard software"
$998.00 - BASIC Height Control Upgrade
$998.00 - Advanced Height Control Upgrade ($1,996.00 for Basic and Advanced)
$998.00 - Advanced Machine Control Upgrade

That makes $18K+ tax and shipping for a functional TABLE. If you design in CoralDRAW or other CAD programs, you can import DXF files into their standard software and convert them to cut paths in DesignEdge software.

If you want the Advanced Design Software Upgrade (my personal choice for vector file drawing :wink: ), that is an additional $998.00, so you are now at $19K + tax and shipping for a good, functional plasma table. You still need the Hypertherm 85 plasma machine itself ($5.3K) along with a "shorty" machine torch ($800.00), the compressor, and a PC tower, monitor, keyboard and mouse, of course.

You DO NOT need to spend the money on their pipe cutting attachmen, and I advise against it UNLESS you have about $5K more cash lying around to do it RIGHT. Contact me about options there. You also DO NOT need their router adapter, or their engraver.

You DO NOT need to purchase the Metric Units upgrade, the Customizable Size Upgrade, or the 3D capability upgrade, (each - 998.00)

I DO suggest one additional upgrade for your business, the Automatic Nesting Upgrade - $998.00 which bring my recommendation to right at $20K + tax and shipping.

That is a lot less than $35K.

If you plan to cut thicker material, such as cutting key slots into 6"x6" square tubing, I have a nice rail lift kit ($900.00) that will raise the rails 4.25" to give you fully 6.25" inches of Z clearance between the gantry tube and the torch tip.

You DO NOT need the Customizable Size Upgrade for this rail lift kit, although it WOULD make the whole experience easier, since standard DesignEdge software can only "see" two inches of Z. You would have to manually raise that 2" Z range to include the top of a 6"x6" tube. The Customizable Size Upgrade allows DesignEdge software to "see" six inches of Z, among other added features. The cost for this upgrade is also $998.00, and that would bring the total table price to $21,000.00 + T & S for a really nice, well equipped, 5'x10' plasma table.

If you want one additional seat for your DesignEdge license to run on a laptop for remote designing capability, that is $495.00, and the third, fourth, and fifth seats are $249.00 each. Seats are $99.00 each after that, IF PlasmaCam will even sell them to you. :roll:

I offer FREE online training for DesignEdge software via ZOOM, and also in-person training for a daily training fee, to be negotiated. I have about 450 You Tube videos on using DesignEdge software that are FREE to view, as well.

There are other tables out there that use different motors, and different controllers, etc. They generally require three separate software packages to get a drawing from an idea in your head to a finished product on the cutting table. Yes, they do work well, and lots of people use them. Lots of people drive stick shift cars and heat their homes with logs, and mix kerosene with sugar to soothe a sore throat too. :roll: I like the PlasmaCam for the software with the "Big Three" upgrades, and for the simplicity of the machine itself.

Joe

Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

BlindeyeWelding
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

cutnweld wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 2:39 pm If you are a fabricator... build your own. Or buy a starlab table or similar. A fully loaded samson will run you around 35k at least from what i have read in other posts. You can buy a lot more table for less $ in other brands that will better meet the requirements of an industrial shop. Just going by what I was told by one who owned 2 pcam and samson then switched to his own build
That was my original plan. I would love to build one. This is exactly how I've done just about everything I have so far. I'm just getting to the point where my time is more valuable than money so I was going to buy this time. The table I'm looking at is a Squickmons 4x8, fully welded frame, water table with computer, Hypertherm 85, ready to roll for under $20k, shipping and tax included.
BlindeyeWelding
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

TJS wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 3:47 pm ^^^ What Cutnweld said. If you got the $$ then all the power to you. I could not afford to buy one outright, so I built one for far less than what is out there. Albeit, took me quite a long time to do it as other priorities take over.
T.J.
It's definitely not that I have the $$ laying around. I just have far less time than money. I'm still working a 12hr job until I get a few more pieces slid into place to go on my own. I would love to build my own, for sure. How much $$ do you thing you had in your build?
BlindeyeWelding
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Joe Jones wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 12:06 pm So ... you are planning to cut PLATE more than thin "metal art" stuff, right? Saddles? Gussets? That sort of thing?

A Samson 510 table with a Hypertherm 85 will give you the ability to cut up to 1-1/8" thick steel plate accurately. I am retired, and do this stuff for FUN! so if you do get a table, and you struggle with vector drawings, just call me or email me. I can draw up a file for you quickly, and at NO CHARGE! :HaHa

Joe
Thanks Joe! Not many people willing to reach out like that anymore. I appreciate it!

And yes, it'll be more heavy plate than anything that I'll be cutting. I'm looking at the Squickmons 4x8, fully welded frame, water table with computer, Hypertherm 85, ready to roll for under $20k, shipping and tax included.
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

BlindeyeWelding wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 6:31 pm
Thanks Joe! Not many people willing to reach out like that anymore. I appreciate it!

And yes, it'll be more heavy plate than anything that I'll be cutting. I'm looking at the Squickmons 4x8, fully welded frame, water table with computer, Hypertherm 85, ready to roll for under $20k, shipping and tax included.
Where are you located?

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

BlindeyeWelding
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Clay City Indiana
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

Do as you will. The JD SQUARED plasma tables are fully welded TANKS. I have never seen one in operation. Most of the cnc plasma tables are basically all the same.... three programs ... G-Code .... :roll: They all use the same basic software trio, with some minor variations, and once you get used to it, you CAN crank out metal, I guess. Lots of shops do, for sure! I have never seized the opportunity to try "the other guys" so I don't know what your experience will be.

The heaviest plate I have had on my Samson 510 was 1/2" steel plate that I had to load with a forklift. The 510 table can handle a lot more weight than that too. But that "solid welded frame" feature sure makes you want to roll up in a lifted 4WD and pry open a cold beer with your teeth, doesn't it?! :lol:

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

BlindeyeWelding wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 7:04 pm Clay City Indiana
Okay, not too far then. 220 miles. A 3-hour drive. A water table, eh? I guess... The used water is considered "toxic waste" in many states, so you can't just dump it down the drain. Before I ever bought a water table, I would CHECK with the local authorities who write the tickets for hazardous waste violations, and ASK THEM what it would cost to change out the water from your 5x10 cnc plasma water table. For example, in CommieFornia, it is probably more than a month's rent on your shop building! :Wow

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

ROKCRLER

Post by ROKCRLER »

BlindeyeWelding wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 6:31 pm it'll be more heavy plate than anything that I'll be cutting. I'm looking at the Squickmons 4x8, fully welded frame, water table with computer, Hypertherm 85, ready to roll for under $20k, shipping and tax included.
Before you set your size limit, look at the sizes of the material you plan to use.
I have 2 4x8 tables and I'm constantly wishing i had a 5x10 if not a 6x12.
I cut anything from 26ga to 3/4" so far but I've lost jobs due to the size limitations.
I wanted to build my own table as well, but went the Dynatorch route. (they're local and I saw them in action)
4x8 Dynatorch
PM85
~Mo~
BlindeyeWelding
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

ROKCRLER wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 7:52 pm
BlindeyeWelding wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 6:31 pm it'll be more heavy plate than anything that I'll be cutting. I'm looking at the Squickmons 4x8, fully welded frame, water table with computer, Hypertherm 85, ready to roll for under $20k, shipping and tax included.
Before you set your size limit, look at the sizes of the material you plan to use.
I have 2 4x8 tables and I'm constantly wishing i had a 5x10 if not a 6x12.
I cut anything from 26ga to 3/4" so far but I've lost jobs due to the size limitations.
I wanted to build my own table as well, but went the Dynatorch route. (they're local and I saw them in action)

Lol, That's the kind of thing I didn't want to hear! 4x8 pickup flatbeds are the biggest thing I do (so far) but even some of them could dictate at least a 5x10.
Thanks for the input!
Last edited by BlindeyeWelding on Wed Sep 27, 2023 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

When you buy a winch to pull a 2,000 lb. boat up onto a trailer, you do not buy a 2,000 lb. winch. You buy a 4,000 lb. winch, because you never want to run a machine at its maximum capacity for extended periods of time, and situations are bound to arise where that 2,000 lb limitation becomes an issue.

A 5x10 table does require a larger footprint in the shop, but it reduces the chances of hitting the rails while loading ordinary 4x8 sheets, and it gives you that extra 12 inches of width x 24 inches of length when the need arises.

I have never run into a situation where I needed something larger than a 5x10, but I did once have a task that made me wish I had a 5x20.

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

BlindeyeWelding
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Joe Jones wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:00 pm When you buy a winch to pull a 2,000 lb. boat up onto a trailer, you do not buy a 2,000 lb. winch. You buy a 4,000 lb. winch, because you never want to run a machine at its maximum capacity for extended periods of time, and situations are bound to arise where that 2,000 lb limitation becomes an issue.

A 5x10 table does require a larger footprint in the shop, but it reduces the chances of hitting the rails while loading ordinary 4x8 sheets, and it gives you that extra 12 inches of width x 24 inches of length when the need arises.

I have never run into a situation where I needed something larger than a 5x10, but I did once have a task that made me wish I had a 5x20.

Joe
Yeah I get it but I could play that game until I had a table the size of my shop. Doing custom work, there's always going to be that one job where it would be handy to have a bigger/better _____. A 5x10 could be 'better' but most of what I do can be accomplished on a 4x8. Shop space isn't an issue but at the moment, money is. I can't really swing the extra $$.
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

BlindeyeWelding wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 12:29 am I can't really swing the extra $$.
We are BOTH talking $20K ... :roll: Ah, right. The Samson 510 does not INCLUDE the HT85, etc. Okay. I know of a NICE 510 for sale right now in Florida. He would probably let it go for $15K-ish. His table already HAS advanced Design software, advanced height control upgrade, advanced machine control upgrade, and Automatic Nesting!

Anyway ... Good luck with your new table!

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

TJS

Post by TJS »

BlindeyeWelding wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 6:05 pm
TJS wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 3:47 pm ^^^ What Cutnweld said. If you got the $$ then all the power to you. I could not afford to buy one outright, so I built one for far less than what is out there. Albeit, took me quite a long time to do it as other priorities take over.
T.J.
It's definitely not that I have the $$ laying around. I just have far less time than money. I'm still working a 12hr job until I get a few more pieces slid into place to go on my own. I would love to build my own, for sure. How much $$ do you thing you had in your build?
I have an excel spread sheet with everything on the build, down to nuts and bolts and ring terminals. 12k. However this was years ago when steel was not made of gold.
BlindeyeWelding
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

TJS wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 7:48 am
BlindeyeWelding wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 6:05 pm
T.J.
I have an excel spread sheet with everything on the build, down to nuts and bolts and ring terminals. 12k. However this was years ago when steel was not made of gold.
Hey thanks for the info. I feel like if I'm going to have that kind of $$ in it, not to mention probably a years worth of 'spare' time building it, I'll probably bite the bullet and buy one.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”