Hypertherm running from a generator

New to PlasmaSpider? Introduce yourself to the community and tell us a little about you.
Maytagarkansas
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Hypertherm running from a generator

Post by Maytagarkansas »

Hello, I’m a new member, a retired machinist who kept the PlasmaCam table and Hypertherm Powermax 45 XP that I used in my business. It has been crated for 4 years but I have recently set it up in a storage shed using a Duromax XP13000HX generator to provide power. PlasmaCam table is running off a solar battery and works great. Hypertherm and air compressor are running from the generator. When starting, I fill the air compressor to capacity before turning on anything else and have the psi running at about 100. After powering up the plasma cutter, which I was running at about 30 amps to cut some 1/8” mild steel, I set the cutter height at about .06” and started the program. The cutter shut down after cutting about an inch on several occasions. I get an error message about air pressure and one that indicates a problem with the power supply (generator). Any suggestions? When I had these tools working in my shop, plugged into regular wiring, I never had these issues. Before buying the generator I spoke on the phone to a Hypertherm representative who didn’t see any problem with what I proposed to do. Maybe in 4 years I’ve forgotten something really elementary.
Thanks
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Hypertherm running from a generator

Post by weldguy »

I suspect your compressor is coming on and disrupting the power supply to the Hypertherm. If the compressor is not turning on and your trying to cut on the air thats in the tank with the compressor OFF then you would not be able to cut for long at all before pressure got too low and you receive the error message about air pressure. Need to maintain 90-100psi coming into the back of the Hypertherm at all times.
Joe Jones
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Joe Jones »

Where are you located, that you need to use off the grid generator power?

Get a UPS unit (Uninterruptible Power Supply) from Best Buy or Amazon. Get a GOOD one, with lots of backup power. It will provide pure sine wave power to the PC and the PlasmaCam controller, and it will act as a buffer between the fluctuating power from the generator, to keep the PC and controller box fed with power as you cut.

The Hypertherm 45XP requires 90 PSI of air power at the inlet at all times. If the pressure drops below 90 PSI at the inlet, the plasma torch will shut off. That is what is happening. If you are cutting 1/8" steel with only 30 amps, then your cut speed must be very slow. The pressure in the compressor tank drops as it bleeds down at the start of the cut.

Also, the pressure in the TANK does not necessarily equal the pressure at the INLET of the plasma machine. Describe your air supply line. Do you have a massive 3/4" steel pipe running from the compressor to the plasma cutter, or are you using some 100-foot long 1/4" I.D. rubber hose, with elbow fittings, and dirt filters, and water traps, and other RESTRICTIONS to free air flow? Once the torch fires, you need a solid, unwavering 9 CFM of air coming through that air line to "feed" the plasma cutter. If the pressure in the air supply line between the compressor and the plasma cutter bleeds down to below 9 BAR or about 90 PSI, the torch will shut off.

30 AMPS for 1/8" material? :roll: That sounds really low to me.

If you are out there in the boonies playing "George of the Jungle," :lol: PLEASE make sure you ground your table with a copper rod into the ground. That little yellow controller box is $3,000.00 to replace, and at least $600.00 to repair + shipping each way to PlasmaCam, and that assumes PlasmaCam can ship it to the "Outback" ... or the frozen Tundra of Russia, or wherever you are!

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
6” Z Rail Lift Kit for PlasmaCam
CreatBot D600 PRO 3D Printer
12 Lasers
FREE DesignEdge Training!

It is more fun when it isn't necessary!
Maytagarkansas
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Maytagarkansas »

Appreciate the advice. PlasmaCam and generator are both grounded. Air compressor line is not long (10 foot rubber hose) but I could add a spare tank for more capacity which is what I did previously. I'll refine the setup and see if I make progress.
Thanks, Maytagarkansas
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

Maytagarkansas wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 12:09 pm Appreciate the advice. PlasmaCam and generator are both grounded. Air compressor line is not long (10 foot rubber hose) but I could add a spare tank for more capacity which is what I did previously. I'll refine the setup and see if I make progress.
Thanks, Maytagarkansas
What is the cubic foot capacity of your compressor tank?

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

Maytagarkansas
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Maytagarkansas »

Only 30 cf which is low
Maytagarkansas
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Maytagarkansas »

Excuse the brain cramp. 30 gallons
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

Yeah ... a 30 gallon tank will bleed down too quickly. Even though you have air in the tank, it cannot maintain 90+ PSI at the plasma machine inlet for very long once the torch fires. Pressure drops in the hose and the tank cannot keep up with the pressure drop, so the torch shuts off.

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

Maytagarkansas
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Maytagarkansas »

Yes Joe, I think upgrading the air supply will be first priority. Most of the projects I made in the past were small so I got by but an extra tank is going to be necessary.
Thanks

Return to “Introduce Yourself”