Novice here, Please Help

If you are looking for help with a file conversion please post it here rather than in the file sharing forums.
Splinters&Sparx
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Novice here, Please Help

Post by Splinters&Sparx »

I am going crazy trying to figure out how to design this image to cut. I use Aspire, I have traced it, converted it to DXF, but when I look at it to fix lines and areas to keep or fall out I am at a loss. I haven't been doing this long so I appreciate any tips I can get. I will pay someone to teach me this, I am desperate :). The sign is supposed to be 24" H after its cut. Thank ya'll in advance.

I also attached the DXF file I have so far after tracing.
Gator.png
UBMCgatorsideview.dxf

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Larry83301
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Novice here, Please Help

Post by Larry83301 »

Pictures like that don't do very well as a flat pieces. I would make it several layers starting with the collar and ending with the nose and teeth. The horns could be part of the first layer with the helmet cut to show the horn on the right. The dark part of the cheek would be part of this back layer also. That's just me but I do many pieces as two or three and some tims four layers makes them stand out. :Yay
viking logo.jpg
20130620_153015.jpg

Larry

plasmanewbie

Post by plasmanewbie »

Opened your dxf and I would say your trace looks pretty darn good. Definately a lot of bridges to make to hold things together if you wanted to cut it all 1 piece! Larry's right it would be best to do this as multi layer sign, you could almost cut all the components out as it sits and just use and epoxy or something to bond all the components to the main background.
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

I agree with the above post, Your trace is very good but I would separate the parts and cut them as layers for a finished item. You will loose to much detail and have a hard time coloring as a single layer. Attached are 3 different project I did showing what we are talking about. Also the medallion on the collar will be real hard. You have done most of the work with the trace, it is fairly easy to separate the parts and generate a cut plan.
DSCN1991.JPG
DSCN2110.JPG
DSCN2111.JPG
cutting Miami (2).JPG

DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

this is similar to what I am talking about, there are parts that are open lines that will need to be connected in you trace.
I use Inkscape to these thing and have different pages open to separate copy and paste the parts around to complete the cut plan.
break up.JPG

Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

video of the cutting process for the gator.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GlX5Cy ... sp=sharing
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Splinters&Sparx wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 9:12 am I am going crazy trying to figure out how to design this image to cut. I use Aspire, I have traced it, converted it to DXF, but when I look at it to fix lines and areas to keep or fall out I am at a loss. I haven't been doing this long so I appreciate any tips I can get. I will pay someone to teach me this, I am desperate :). The sign is supposed to be 24" H after its cut. Thank ya'll in advance.

I also attached the DXF file I have so far after tracing.

PM Sent. Check your private messages.
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

Splinters&Sparx wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 9:12 am I am going crazy trying to figure out how to design this image to cut.
A design with multiple colors cannot easily be cut out if a single layer of media. It is possible, but you are talking about a LOT of custom drawing time to make puzzle pieces, each individually cut out and taking kerf width and other factors into consideration.

Since a plasma cutter has a wide kerf width as compared to a laser or any other extremely fine cutting process, in order to fit one piece into another with a tight tolerance, you would need to cut them out separately. For example, you could not get a tight fit by cutting a 2"x2" square out of a 4"x4"inch square. However, you could cut a 2"x2" square out of material, and then cut a 4"x4" square with a 2"x2" hole in the center. It would be necessary to clearance the corners of the hole for a tight fit, since the plasma cut interior corner is round, and the external corner of the 2"x2" square is square.

Layering is another option, that allows for a more interesting, dimensional product, but layers of steel are heavy.

The third option is to cut the profile out of steel, and have the art PRINTED and applied to the steel outline like a sticker. Images that are printed are 2D, and plasma cutting is 3D. you cannot cross over from one to the other, without making some compromises.

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
6” Z Rail Lift Kit for PlasmaCam
CreatBot D600 PRO 3D Printer
12 Lasers
FREE DesignEdge Training!

It is more fun when it isn't necessary!
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

Splinters&Sparx wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 9:12 am I am going crazy trying to figure out how to design this image to cut.
This image has 16 different colors. It is not well suited for plasma cutting. You could use a router for solid material, but this image is better suited for a vinyl cutter or a printed process.

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
6” Z Rail Lift Kit for PlasmaCam
CreatBot D600 PRO 3D Printer
12 Lasers
FREE DesignEdge Training!

It is more fun when it isn't necessary!
Splinters&Sparx
1 Star Member
1 Star Member