Lead in divots in 14 ga

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
Dirtmotor
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Lead in divots in 14 ga

Post by Dirtmotor »

I know this has been discussed many times , I still have issues with lead in /out divots , The piece in pic is as small as I have tried to cut and is really too small (3 inch circle) its cut out of 14 ga hot roll .
merkaba pic.jpg
. I have tried all sorts of lead in lengths, and perpendicular , arc etc. as well as played with lead out , and even tried no lead out, still having same issue .I have tried moving start points since this piece and it helped some .I played with amps from 25 to 45 , not much difference , played with cut speed from 120 to 190 didn't make much difference with the divots .Its using a hypertherm 45 xp on a premier plasma 4x4 table .
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Lead in divots in 14 ga

Post by weldguy »

My guess is that you have some slop in your drive system on 1 or more axis. If your machine is turned ON, your motors will likely be "locked" up under power allowing you to place your hand on the torch lifter and gantry and gently try to move the XY axis back and forth and feel for any slop. Should be tight and rigid with no movement. That is the first thing I would check.
Dirtmotor
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Dirtmotor »

weldguy wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:35 am My guess is that you have some slop in your drive system on 1 or more axis. If your machine is turned ON, your motors will likely be "locked" up under power allowing you to place your hand on the torch lifter and gantry and gently try to move the XY axis back and forth and feel for any slop. Should be tight and rigid with no movement. That is the first thing I would check.
Thanks , will check it for slop tonight .
tcaudle

Post by tcaudle »

I would run the file with a marker on paper to narrow it down to either mechanical or electrical. fine point marker taped to the torch and adjusted so it draws on a sheet of flat paper would show any mechanical issues You also need to watch the Z and if the THC is maybe causing diving on turns . You also need to realize that a plasma running at 30,000 degrees and blowing out molten metal wit compressed air is NOT a laser and cutting really fine detail on thin metal is not the best task for plasma. If you are using lead ins where is the divot showing up? Where the lead- in joins the cut?. You may simply be asking too much of a hobby grade machine to cut jewellery.

A.
Dirtmotor
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Dirtmotor »

tcaudle wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 1:10 pm I would run the file with a marker on paper to narrow it down to either mechanical or electrical. fine point marker taped to the torch and adjusted so it draws on a sheet of flat paper would show any mechanical issues You also need to watch the Z and if the THC is maybe causing diving on turns . You also need to realize that a plasma running at 30,000 degrees and blowing out molten metal wit compressed air is NOT a laser and cutting really fine detail on thin metal is not the best task for plasma. If you are using lead ins where is the divot showing up? Where the lead- in joins the cut?. You may simply be asking too much of a hobby grade machine to cut jewellery.

A.
Thanks .I will try the marker .The divots are at the lead ins , I do understand the limitations of cnc plasma , I just want to push it as far as I can ,Most of the parts and art work I cut are much larger , however still have a divot problem . Wish I had a laser machine , maybe some day ! The THC was a process to get set up , It does works perfectly now .
ROKCRLER
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by ROKCRLER »

This file is a total guess, but I wanted to test my settings to give you something to compare to. I hope this helps.
Hypertherm 85, finecuts 45a on 12ga.
Top side wire cupped
Front.jpg
Back side wire cupped, still has a divot, i think its when the drop out drops and folds the flame.
Back.jpg
Assuming you're using sheetcam, here's the SC settings, dynatorch software takes care of the rest that's not filled out in SC.
Keyring hole in separate layer
Dirtmotor2.png

The rest of the inside cuts get a longer leadin
Dirtmotor3.png
Dirtmotor3.png (41.17 KiB) Viewed 2589 times
Dirtmotor5.png
Attachments
Dirtmotor.dxf
(44.79 KiB) Downloaded 78 times
4x8 Dynatorch
PM85
~Mo~
rdj357

Post by rdj357 »

The back side divot is likely from double cutting when the cut path comes back around and meets the point where the lead in came into the part at the beginning. Is there a way in Sheetcam to have the torch stop firing or the path stop short at that point? Maybe it already does but can be adjusted? You can have that happen up to a distance of about half the actual kerf.
djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by djreiswig »

I think you can program a negative overcut.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
Dirtmotor
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Dirtmotor »

Found an old post on here about using the m10p1 code to quick stop your torch fire ? Not sure I am smart enough to try it . Has anyone used it ? And does it help with the divots ?
Dirtmotor
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Dirtmotor »

djreiswig wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 6:48 am I think you can program a negative overcut.
Thanks for the tip I did try a -.02 over cut and it helped a bunch !
djreiswig

Post by djreiswig »

Great. Glad it worked.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”