A new Old guy

New to PlasmaSpider? Introduce yourself to the community and tell us a little about you.
ECG
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

A new Old guy

Post by ECG »

Just getting into the Plasma CNC buisness and about have my table setup. Wife encouraged me to get this to give her some space also. I spent 48 years and 10 months working on drilling rigs all over the world and just got tired of the travel and all the BS that comes with being the person in charge of a Drilling rigs daily operations and keeping the crews safe performing very hazardous work. But I do miss all the people I met along that journey. My job was a rotating job so I spent as much time away from home as I did at home. Worked 1973 to 2009 in the Gulf of Mexico, had a 2 years of that was on a land rig in Oklahoma, then 2 years Angola Africa, 2 years in Equatorial Guinea, a few months in Cameroon and a little over a year in Las Palmas Spain. Made a 5 year tour in the Scotland in the North Sea and wored in some of the roughest waters in the world, I made around a year working in Myanmar(Burma) and I was just tired of it all with COVID BS and had a little heart issue that has been corrected and called it a day and retired. Now I hang out a lot with my bride of 48 years. She finally adjusted to me being home all the time. But now I will be working in my shop away from her more and making a few bucks. Glad to be part of the group, I know I have a lot to learn.
Joe Jones
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: A new Old guy

Post by Joe Jones »

Welcome! so ... details! Which table are you running? What software? What do you plan to make (and sell?) with you table? Which plasma cutter do you have? Are you using a hand torch or a machine torch?

Where are you LOCATED?

Do you need training on either the table or the software? Do you plan to sell raw metal, or are you also going to get into powder coating, painting, etc.?

Also ... we need PHOTOS!

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
6” Z Rail Lift Kit for PlasmaCam
CreatBot D600 PRO 3D Printer
12 Lasers
FREE DesignEdge Training!

It is more fun when it isn't necessary!
ECG
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by ECG »

I am located in Lousiana, outside the small town of Mamou. I puchased a Langmuir Crossfire XR with a Razoe Weld 45 plasma cutter. It is complete with the assembly. Only wires to the control systems left. Software on bed is Crossfire, using Fushion 360 and inkscape to edit and generate drawings. As for training I am going to complete wiring by following instructions from Laingmuir on assembly and do a first cut. By then I will know more If I need any training on the CNC beds operation. Software I am new to Fushion 360 and inkscape but they seem fine and so far I see no issues. I have used Turbocad and Autocad on and off for quite a few years. I will be taking my time following guidance from Langmuirs documentation and see how I goes. It is good to know that there are recources there to help if I need. Langmuir knows I am new to this equipment and when I picked up my Crossfire XR in Conroe Texas the gentleman loading me took almost 45 minutes with some does and do nots ensuring I was ok with assembly and function of the system. I feel I will be fine. I normally learn better with hands on so I am pretty mithotical and very cautious when doing as such to ensure I learn as much as possible but also learn with out damaging any equipment. As for work out put it will be mainly cutting and fabing ornamental items fire pits out door items ect. to begin with, painting only when requested to do so. I am already looking at my requirements to do some powder coating in the future. The name of my company is L Anse Meg Metal Art. L Anse Meg is the name of the road I live on. It's a cajun thing I guess you can say.
I think I answered all you questions. Looking forward to learning from you more experienced CNC/Plasma guys. I am very new to the whole messenger/group chat thing so bare with me.
About all I got, had to rearange and clear out my shop to Crossfire XR in place.
About all I got, had to rearange and clear out my shop to Crossfire XR in place.
plasmanewbie

Post by plasmanewbie »

Welcome ECG! Great back story, enjoyed the read and that's a great looking table. Looks like your all set for tons of fun for you and some solo time for your wife. I know my wife would go crazy if we moved someplace without a shop. Wishing you all the best and excited to see some of your projects once your cutting.
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

Welcome aboard ECG great place for questions and answers about Plasma and its projects. There are some Langmuir users here. For a good look around for files and question answer you can use the search function in the upper right. You can also use the Private Message to contact members on a one to one bases, good if you want to pass your email address privately. There are some really great projects that you can download the files and get info about them for free. Have fun
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
SegoMan DeSigns
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SegoMan DeSigns »

Welcome to the forum from some more oil field trash!

You will probably appreciate the artwork on this thread:

https://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic. ... it#p166025

Return to “Introduce Yourself”