DIY rotary pipe cutter add on

Share and learn with other DIY members who have built their own plasma tables and accessories.
kn612
2 Star Elite Contributing Member

DIY rotary pipe cutter add on

Post by kn612 »

Looking for inspiration on what guys are doing to add rotary axis to their tables. Enough room for about a 6" piece of pipe under the z axis on my precision plasma gantry. For tables that turn under the z axis on the table how is the workpiece being supported? Temporary rollers you mount and remove for plate cutting?
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: DIY rotary pipe cutter add on

Post by acourtjester »

Here is a simple one which seems to be easy to make. I did it differently for the one I built, mine was more involved. David has one that is different from this one maybe he will post info for you.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Joe Jones
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Joe Jones »

Rolling the pipe beneath the torch is the easiest way to cut pipe. The torch does not know if it is cutting flat material, or a round pipe. it only knows that the top dead center of the pipe is the surface of the material, and the pipe rotates to maintain that TDC position as it cuts the design into the pipe.

You already have the gantry motor and the carriage motor for the X/Y motion, and the Z motor for the torch, so why complicate things by adding more motors? Simply lay some square tubing onto the grates to act as a track for the pipe to roll on, and use some bolt on or clamp on wheeled guides to push and pull the pipe parallel to the gantry tube.

Larger diameter pipe is also easily cut by designing a torch riser that will raise the torch higher than the carriage and extend it out over the taller pipe.

Joe
PIPE CUTTER GANTRY PUSH PULL JPG.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
6” Z Rail Lift Kit for PlasmaCam
CreatBot D600 PRO 3D Printer
12 Lasers
FREE DesignEdge Training!

It is more fun when it isn't necessary!
kn612

Post by kn612 »

Still need to make time to fab up brackets and rollers like your pipe cutter Joe. I'd like to try that out for shorter pipe.

Ended up buying a rough 6x12 Lonestar table that has a rotary on the side. Planning on using that on the next upcoming table build. Or running the Lonestar if I can clean it up.
LH9775B~2.jpeg

Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

Wow. you are ambitious! I am guessing that you can get the LoneStar up and running. i know nothing about them, or the software they use. Where are you located?

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

Jason@bc
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Jason@bc »

Joe Jones wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 2:42 pm Rolling the pipe beneath the torch is the easiest way to cut pipe. The torch does not know if it is cutting flat material, or a round pipe. it only knows that the top dead center of the pipe is the surface of the material, and the pipe rotates to maintain that TDC position as it cuts the design into the pipe.

You already have the gantry motor and the carriage motor for the X/Y motion, and the Z motor for the torch, so why complicate things by adding more motors? Simply lay some square tubing onto the grates to act as a track for the pipe to roll on, and use some bolt on or clamp on wheeled guides to push and pull the pipe parallel to the gantry tube.

Larger diameter pipe is also easily cut by designing a torch riser that will raise the torch higher than the carriage and extend it out over the taller pipe.

Joe

PIPE CUTTER GANTRY PUSH PULL JPG.jpg
That's a neat idea you got there Joe, but what happens with the X motion....wouldn't the wheel guides put some drag on the X motion?
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

Jason@bc wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 12:00 am
That's a neat idea you got there Joe, but what happens with the X motion....wouldn't the wheel guides put some drag on the X motion?
The wheel guides are not mounted to the carriage. They are mounted to the gantry tube, and the carriage moves back and forth between them. They offer no resistance.

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Here is another style of tubing cutter shown in this video, the guy is a little long winded. His second video shows he is quite busy running a company using a DIY table.
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by weldguy »

Super impressive DIY design, thanks for the vid Tom :Like
Jason@bc

Post by Jason@bc »

IMG_5445.JPG
Joe Jones wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 12:44 am
Jason@bc wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 12:00 am
The wheel guides are not mounted to the carriage. They are mounted to the gantry tube, and the carriage moves back and forth between them. They offer no resistance.

Joe
I see now how it works...thanks for explaining, Joe. I cut a lot of 1.5'' holes in pipe anywhere from 5'' to 7'' od, this would speed it up if I took the time to set this up.

Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

Absolutely! Set up level saw horses off to the side of the plasma table. Set up a jig to roll the pipe beneath the plasma torch, and cut! You could also set up a path to cut that angled end. The nice things is, if the holes are pass through, you can set up the file to have the two holes EXACTLY opposite the other two on a given diameter of pipe. No more guesswork.

What do you do? SCREW these into the ground?!? :Wow

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

acourtjester wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 9:53 am Here is another style of tubing cutter shown in this video, the guy is a little long winded. His second video shows he is quite busy running a company using a DIY table.
That is an awesome setup for rotary cutting.

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

Jason@bc

Post by Jason@bc »

Joe Jones wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 11:21 am Absolutely! Set up level saw horses off to the side of the plasma table. Set up a jig to roll the pipe beneath the plasma torch, and cut! You could also set up a path to cut that angled end. The nice things is, if the holes are pass through, you can set up the file to have the two holes EXACTLY opposite the other two on a given diameter of pipe. No more guesswork.

What do you do? SCREW these into the ground?!? :Wow

Joe
Yes, these are what they call screwpiles, the ones I build are 20 feet long with 24'' dia helix, 1/2'' steel. This cement plant sits on screwpiles.
IMG_4087.JPG
20200429_131546.jpg

Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

Jason@bc wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 8:07 pm
Yes, these are what they call screwpiles, the ones I build are 20 feet long with 24'' dia helix, 1/2'' steel. This cement plant sits on screwpiles.
I wondered how these things are anchored to the ground.

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Upgraded tubing rotary device DIY type by the guy I posted above again long winded but neat.
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
kn612

Post by kn612 »

Joe Jones wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 7:18 pm Wow. you are ambitious! I am guessing that you can get the LoneStar up and running. i know nothing about them, or the software they use. Where are you located?

Joe
I'm a sucker for any project cnc machine. My daily driver was abandoned when I bought it.
6x12.jpg
Its probably more adhd than ambition, my current table does everything I need but I cant leave well enough alone. I think Lonestar uses their own modified screenset of mach3 on most of their cnc machines. This one got beat up in a storm, I picked it up on auction, mainly for the rotary and scribe mount parts but we'll see what it takes to straighten everything out this winter.
spitfire6x12.JPG
Thinking about mounting that rotary chuck on the rear or front inside the table under the gantry. Lots of room under the gantry.
6x12mag.jpg
Was going to plug the existing x axis driver into the rotary. I use mach3/sheetcam on this one too, I assume each different diameter of pipe will need the steps/unit changed?

I have an industrial plasma gantry and enough gear rack and t rail to build an 8x14. It has ac servo motors/drivers, helical gears, oxyfuel. With the wider gantry I cant make my mind up to run the rotary on the table and keep the 8ft wide cut for plate or bring one side in a couple feet and cut pipe on the side like the Lonestar does. Cant find many examples of a rotary built into the table so Im leaning towards giving up a couple ft of cut width and cutting pipe off to the side.
hornetgantry.png
acourtjester wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 12:02 pm Upgraded tubing rotary device DIY type by the guy I posted above again long winded but neat.
Tom, I really like this guys table, especially the rotary and follower. No need for any kind of pipe/tubing holder on the floor. Thanks for those videos, thought I'd seen all the diy plasma stuff on youtube.

acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Reburbing an older table that has good bones will save time, finding and replacing the bad/damaged parts will save money too. The old "one mans trash is another treasure". Many times a company will dump equipment, as they see it is cheaper time wise to buy new, you win. :Yay
Keep us posted on your progress, pictures too. :Like
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
kn612

Post by kn612 »

acourtjester wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 9:49 am Reburbing an older table that has good bones will save time, finding and replacing the bad/damaged parts will save money too. The old "one mans trash is another treasure". Many times a company will dump equipment, as they see it is cheaper time wise to buy new, you win. :Yay
Keep us posted on your progress, pictures too. :Like
There have been quite a few nice used tables go for sale on auctions and classifieds.

It didn't take a whole lot but it's cleaned up and going again. Some of the motors wouldn't spin so I replaced those and changed the tb6600 drivers and 24v power supply to some dm542 drivers and 36v. New linear bearings, it jogs pretty nice but will occasionally stall at 750ipm and above. May bump it to 48v. It's direct drive so I'm not sure how much more performance I can get out of it. 600ipm seems like the sweet spot for jog speed
IMG_20231206_145523.jpg
IMG_20231206_145552.jpg
I really like the mach3 screenset/setup they use. You can home with limit switches and have multiple park positions. You can even do a dry run of the perimeter to make sure the part will fit. The thc responds pretty well but I haven't done any sloped.
IMG_20231206_145615.jpg
Haven't gotten around to setting up the rotary yet, main point of this thread but that's next now that I know everything works.

acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Not sure what thickness of metal you are going to cut, but you will not need more then 350 IPS. And that may be all that needed to rapids for one cut to another. :HaHa :HaHa
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
weldguy

Post by weldguy »