Software questions

General software related questions should be posted here.
Ezalyconfuzd1
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Software questions

Post by Ezalyconfuzd1 »

Ok so Ill start out by saying Im sorry for how slow I am, and Im going to ask some probably obvious/dumb questions. Im currently using lightburn to cut. Its actually pretty effective for the $30 it costs if your cutting 3/16 and up. But I the issues Im having is I have to be way more creative than necessary to get the THC, laser on/off pause, start cut through, stop cut through, etc. Im wanting to add a touch off style floating head for starts and stops so that when It moves stops cutting and then starts a new one it doesnt catch anything. Which has been my main issue. So Im wanting to branch out and start a new software that has the oppropriate functions and options built in.

1. Is Mach 3 a brand name software for CAD software or is it the standard. (IE. is Mach 3 like saying a "crecent wrench" wich is actually a brand name of an Adjustable wrench.)

2. Is lightburn a type of Mach 3? Does lightburn have a touch off setting I can use? like the cutthrough start that can be used as the "pierce" setting?

3. Id rather sort of shop around and see which one is easiest for me to learn (me specifically we all learn things differently), so does Mach 3 have a preview/trail?

4. what is sheetcam? is it Mach 3?

FInally dont be afraid to talk to me like Im a toddler trying to learn this, haha I am not laptop savvy, Im just a neanderthal. Thanks.
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Software questions

Post by acourtjester »

Ok we all started at day one too, your questions are normal.
Now Mach 3 is a software package that is designed to operate a CNC device (Plasma table, lathe, mill).
It need a G-code inputted for it to operate these devices, and you can also do some manual operations with it. Like moving the axis on the devices, fire a plasma torch. It does have a demo function that has limited operations for you to look at. Downloaded for free license cost $175.
SheetCam is a CAM type software that will plan a G-code that has a DXF or SVG file (and others) inputted into it. This will allow you to set the speed, start location, fire the Plasma torch in to the G-code. It also will look at the electronics of the table controller and use the correct configuration for a G-code it generates. I think it has a download version that has limited operations. License $170 well worth the price and widely used.
Lightburn is mainly for Laser engravers and cutting, it does generate G-codes, but I think very limited for Plasma work.
Another software package you may use is Fusion 360 free for some and will generate G-code that can be used for Plasma. This can actually create drawings (DXF) and plan G-codes.
The path is first to draw a project in a CAD software package (there are free drawing programs like Inkscape, some CAD packages and Fusion 360.
Then move into a CAM program like SheetCam or Fusion360 to generate a G-code plan. Then onto the software to operate the Plasma table like Mach 3 or 4, UCCNC, or LinusCNC. Some commercial tables have their own versions of software that do these thing as an series function for their tables.
The THC is like an add on for both the G-code generation or controller software. This is not a hard learning process but it helps to have a big picture of the different functions to understand the inter connections. Like the commercial says "even a caveman can do it" :HaHa :HaHa
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Ezalyconfuzd1
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Ezalyconfuzd1 »

acourtjester wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:53 pm Ok we all started at day one too, your questions are normal.
Now Mach 3 is a software package that is designed to operate a CNC device (Plasma table, lathe, mill).
It need a G-code inputted for it to operate these devices, and you can also do some manual operations with it. Like moving the axis on the devices, fire a plasma torch. It does have a demo function that has limited operations for you to look at. Downloaded for free license cost $175.
SheetCam is a CAM type software that will plan a G-code that has a DXF or SVG file (and others) inputted into it. This will allow you to set the speed, start location, fire the Plasma torch in to the G-code. It also will look at the electronics of the table controller and use the correct configuration for a G-code it generates. I think it has a download version that has limited operations. License $170 well worth the price and widely used.
Lightburn is mainly for Laser engravers and cutting, it does generate G-codes, but I think very limited for Plasma work.
Another software package you may use is Fusion 360 free for some and will generate G-code that can be used for Plasma. This can actually create drawings (DXF) and plan G-codes.
The path is first to draw a project in a CAD software package (there are free drawing programs like Inkscape, some CAD packages and Fusion 360.
Then move into a CAM program like SheetCam or Fusion360 to generate a G-code plan. Then onto the software to operate the Plasma table like Mach 3 or 4, UCCNC, or LinusCNC. Some commercial tables have their own versions of software that do these thing as an series function for their tables.
The THC is like an add on for both the G-code generation or controller software. This is not a hard learning process but it helps to have a big picture of the different functions to understand the inter connections. Like the commercial says "even a caveman can do it" :HaHa :HaHa
thanks once again for the help. Would you recommend I download sheetcam stable or development version?
Ezalyconfuzd1
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Ezalyconfuzd1 »

Holey crap sheetcam is massively different. There's not a single similarity. Gonna be a while for me to learn this.
robertspark
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by robertspark »

there are a lot of youtube clips on sheetcam.

sheetcam is actually very easy to use.

lightburn is really for lasers and not for plasma cutters.

the process is similar, but different...... the gcode is not the same.

what motion control software are you using? grbl, mach3, mach4, uccnc, linuxcnc + many many others.

grbl is really designed for arduino type microprocessors (atmega328), it's not really good at fast motion (fast stepping)
https://github.com/gnea/grbl/wiki
it also seems to have been superseded by an number of other variants.
grblHAL and FluidNC seem to be the most promising.

again, not sure how much of them are actually built for plasma as it's a little different from running a mill or router as we really need a constant and smooth feedrate.

uccnc / linuxcnc would still be my recommended direction for anyone starting out and looking for a motion controller software. if you are willing to put the time in linuxcnc would be the best (most fully featured) and with the lowest cost (allowing for mesa ethernet controller / breakout board with THCAD for torch voltage sensing).

If you are new to plasma, then it's worth reading these two well put together documents as they explain plasma cutting (the process) and also how things should work and also provide the common naming convention for the various aspects.
https://linuxcnc.org/docs/stable/html/p ... rimer.html
The second one is a bit more specific to linuxcnc + plasma.
https://linuxcnc.org/docs/stable/html/p ... asmac.html
Ezalyconfuzd1
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Ezalyconfuzd1 »

robertspark wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:10 am there are a lot of youtube clips on sheetcam.

sheetcam is actually very easy to use.

lightburn is really for lasers and not for plasma cutters.

the process is similar, but different...... the gcode is not the same.

what motion control software are you using? grbl, mach3, mach4, uccnc, linuxcnc + many many others.

grbl is really designed for arduino type microprocessors (atmega328), it's not really good at fast motion (fast stepping)
https://github.com/gnea/grbl/wiki
it also seems to have been superseded by an number of other variants.
grblHAL and FluidNC seem to be the most promising.

again, not sure how much of them are actually built for plasma as it's a little different from running a mill or router as we really need a constant and smooth feedrate.

uccnc / linuxcnc would still be my recommended direction for anyone starting out and looking for a motion controller software. if you are willing to put the time in linuxcnc would be the best (most fully featured) and with the lowest cost (allowing for mesa ethernet controller / breakout board with THCAD for torch voltage sensing).

If you are new to plasma, then it's worth reading these two well put together documents as they explain plasma cutting (the process) and also how things should work and also provide the common naming convention for the various aspects.
https://linuxcnc.org/docs/stable/html/p ... rimer.html
The second one is a bit more specific to linuxcnc + plasma.
https://linuxcnc.org/docs/stable/html/p ... asmac.html
Thank you for this info. I appreciate it.

Return to “General Discussion”