Please don't buy premier plasma

New to PlasmaSpider? Introduce yourself to the community and tell us a little about you.
@metalman23
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Please don't buy premier plasma

Post by @metalman23 »

I've had a terrible experience, with terrible setup instructions, little to no helpful customer service, cryptic YouTube instruction videos, and a pile of expensive steel that was cut wrong, so if any one is thinking about buying one, please save yourself the headache and go with something else.

I'm stuck with this machine now, and I have to make do with it somehow, maybe I can get some parts to make it work better.
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Please don't buy premier plasma

Post by acourtjester »

When testing you cutting operations use a pen plotter to mark the metal without cutting. This is very helpful to actually see the cut plan operations without the plasma. I assume that the Premier controller uses a version of Mach3 to run the table.
If you describe your problems maybe a member can help you to get them fixed. Remember we are not there to see what is happening so be simple but have enough info so we can understand the problem. And try to tackle one problem at a time to lessen the confusion. Short videos are a great help if you can attach them, you may need to have a Google Drive account to upload them to and use the share function to attach the link here to be viewed.
Google drive is free for about 10 Gigs of info, very easy to use.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
@metalman23
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by @metalman23 »

So it seems like everything in the Y axis is the correct measurement, but everything cut in the X axis is way too small,

I've calibrated the X axis over and over in Mach 3, I thought I had solved the problem, but every time I run the X axis calibration, it seems to be off, for instance, if I tell it to move 20", it'll move 20.03 so I input that, it recalibrates it, and I try it again and it'll move 19.875
@metalman23
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by @metalman23 »

acourtjester wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:33 am When testing you cutting operations use a pen plotter to mark the metal without cutting. This is very helpful to actually see the cut plan operations without the plasma. I assume that the Premier controller uses a version of Mach3 to run the table.
If you describe your problems maybe a member can help you to get them fixed. Remember we are not there to see what is happening so be simple but have enough info so we can understand the problem. And try to tackle one problem at a time to lessen the confusion. Short videos are a great help if you can attach them, you may need to have a Google Drive account to upload them to and use the share function to attach the link here to be viewed.
Google drive is free for about 10 Gigs of info, very easy to use.
How do I set up a pen plotter? that would save me a lot of headache and expense for testing purposes
kn612
2 Star Elite Contributing Member
2 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by kn612 »

Manually calibrate your steps. It will be more accurate if you command the longest distance you feel comfortable with that won't crash.
Screenshot_20230427-123044~2.png
And if you're good with the y axis calibration and the gear ratios are the same on the x axis, use those steps/unit from the y on the x.
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by weldguy »

All great advice from these guys. Don't get too frustrated, it can take some time to dial things in but be patient and work through each issue one at a time and eventually things will be running smoothly I am sure.
@metalman23
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by @metalman23 »

kn612 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:12 am Manually calibrate your steps. It will be more accurate if you command the longest distance you feel comfortable with that won't crash. Screenshot_20230427-123044~2.png

And if you're good with the y axis calibration and the gear ratios are the same on the x axis, use those steps/unit from the y on the x.
How do I manually configure, I can't find an option to manually input steps per unit, I'm using Mach 3
@metalman23
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by @metalman23 »

Found it
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Here is a video that shows how to do the calibration in Mach 3. Don't worry about the first part as I think you may not need to do that and have the original Mach 3 screen set on your controller.
for a quick and easy pen plotter if you have a machine torch just rubber band a ink pen to the side of it and have it just below the torch tip (1/2") will do. The rubber band allows the pen to give a little if the Z goes to far, you just want to mark on a paper with the pen. Create a tool in SheetCam name it "pen tool" and use it for the g-code generation.
You can run a short G-code of a square make it about 5" square. Drive the pen down with the Z axis and after it touches the paper go about 0.010" more and zero out the Z DRO. If the pen does not mark the paper move it lower then the 0.010" maybe 0.020" it should draw a square on the paper for you to measure when the calibration is finished to see if it correct now.
Have fun Tom
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gjfQCz ... drive_link
Attachments
Mach 3 pen tool.JPG
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Dirtmotor
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Dirtmotor »

@metalman23 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:18 am I've had a terrible experience, with terrible setup instructions, little to no helpful customer service, cryptic YouTube instruction videos, and a pile of expensive steel that was cut wrong, so if any one is thinking about buying one, please save yourself the headache and go with something else.

I'm stuck with this machine now, and I have to make do with it somehow, maybe I can get some parts to make it work better.
Man sure sorry to hear about your bad experience with premier , I have owned one of their tables for over two years and have had the opposite experience with them ,they helped with my huge learning curve and what little problems were theirs they took prompt action to fix , Yes there are better tables out there for sure , But not too many in their price range . If you contact Raed he will take care of you .
SegoMan DeSigns
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SegoMan DeSigns »

@metalman23 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:53 amHow do I set up a pen plotter? that would save me a lot of headache and expense for testing purposes
I wire tied a small piece of 1/2' conduit to the torch holder then I wrapped tape around a sharpie for a snug "But Movable" fit. My 95.5" x 47.5" rectangle had perfect 90* corners..
@metalman23
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by @metalman23 »

Thanks for the encouragement guys, I don't mean to bash the company, it's just been tough, and I've tried to reach out with specific concerns but haven't received much help.

I think i got the X axis figured out, I just copied the same settings from the Y seems to be working ok now
@metalman23
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by @metalman23 »

acourtjester wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:09 pm Here is a video that shows how to do the calibration in Mach 3. Don't worry about the first part as I think you may not need to do that and have the original Mach 3 screen set on your controller.
for a quick and easy pen plotter if you have a machine torch just rubber band a ink pen to the side of it and have it just below the torch tip (1/2") will do. The rubber band allows the pen to give a little if the Z goes to far, you just want to mark on a paper with the pen. Create a tool in SheetCam name it "pen tool" and use it for the g-code generation.
You can run a short G-code of a square make it about 5" square. Drive the pen down with the Z axis and after it touches the paper go about 0.010" more and zero out the Z DRO. If the pen does not mark the paper move it lower then the 0.010" maybe 0.020" it should draw a square on the paper for you to measure when the calibration is finished to see if it correct now.
Have fun Tom
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gjfQCz ... drive_link
Thanks, how can I make that pen thing work with the floating head? It'll want to go down until the head clicks, and then back up again
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Can you mount it on the Z assembly so the floating head is not involved. Just put the pen tip below the torch tip.
Your going to get there soon.
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill

Return to “Introduce Yourself”