DIY Self Centering Vise - Build Your Own

Share, browse, & download dxf, svg, or other vector based designs. If you take be sure to give back.
Oddball
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Re: DIY Self Centering Vise - Build Your Own

Post by Oddball »

I have a small amount of progress.
I found there was a minor lack of clearance for the 8mm bolts I have chosen to use, hence I've spent some time with a small die grinder cleanimng up clearance issues.
Things fell still a touch tight but it does move the jaws.
20240126_134423.jpg
20240126_134412.jpg
20240126_124354.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

Looks great!!
Oddball
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Oddball »

Yes, I'm happy with it so far, just mocked up for now to get my head around how it will work.
Thanks to those folks who helped get me to this stage.
kicktillmonday
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by kicktillmonday »

Laser cutting looks mint and the assembly is looking great so far. Glad to see someone building one of these. Def following your build here :Like :Like
DIY 4x8 table
Powermax 65
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Question you used 8MM bolts did the instructions state that? A 5/16" bold is just a slight amount small in diameter.
8MM = 0.315" 5/16" = 0.3125"
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Oddball
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Oddball »

acourtjester wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:54 am Question you used 8MM bolts did the instructions state that? A 5/16" bold is just a slight amount small in diameter.
8MM = 0.315" 5/16" = 0.3125"
From memory the drawing uses 3/8" bolts, I just figured that that may have been over kill and while 5/16" is probably the perfect choice I have a good stock of 8mm bolts, so I decided with the help of the laser cutting guy to use 8mm bolts.
I'm in Australia and metric stuff is just that much more easier to get.
I like imperial as I was raised on it but some metric stuff works well with projects, so I guess I just suit myself, but knowing the way stuff continues to come out of China which is mostly metric it aint worth fighting it.

I do a bit of machining and other things realated to fabricating and find thou for machining is just the best and difficult to phase them out, yet for fabricating I find millimetres a very suitable measure to use.
Oddball
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Oddball »

kicktillmonday wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:04 am Laser cutting looks mint and the assembly is looking great so far. Glad to see someone building one of these. Def following your build here :Like :Like
Yes, as stated previously, I was impressed with the quality of this guys laser cutyting, it is much better that what I have had in the past.
I already have a couple of personal mods that I am considering now that I have a prototype to play with.
Nothing wrong with what I have, but personal requirements have got me thinking.
So if I do come up with any worlkable ideas I will post them.
I'm sure even what I come up with has been done before but I've just not discovered them...
I'm enjoying the journey as always.
Oddball
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Oddball »

Question with respect to software.
How difficyult is it to convert say CAD drawings to dfx files or what does one do?
I am basically iliterate with respect to this stuff hands on wise.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Oddball wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:00 pm Question with respect to software.
How difficyult is it to convert say CAD drawings to dfx files or what does one do?
This depends on what format the "CAD" drawing is in. If you have a drawing file created with AutoCAD, BricsCAD, etc. in .dwg format then you would simply open that drawing file with the cad software and export as DXF. Otherwise if you only have a printed drawing, such as the screen shots I provided, then you would need to manually recreate the drawing using a CAD program and them export as dxf.
Oddball
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Oddball »

Oddball wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:00 pm Question with respect to software.
Thanks for your reply.
The reason I asked was because I visited my laser guy who was not there, gone on vacation, however the rotweiler he left in charge when I inquired about making a couple of slight changes to the dfx file, stone walled me totally and told me it was impossible and I'd need to start from scratch etc...
He did not want to know and treated me like a total dumb ass.

My response to him was we are living in 2024 and not the early 80's when a lot of this drawing software emerged, so surely something is possible.
I was tempted to just walk away and wait for the boss to return.
I decided to suggest to him to run it past his drafting guy, who I now know is a lady.

Anyway, I get a phone call from this same guy this morning who was all over me like a Sumo wrestler, as sweet as pie and wanted to know if I wanted to go ahead with the changes.
Boy, its amazing what a good nights sleep will do for some folks...

In the meantime I posted this question feeling that I might have been missing something due to my age and time out of the workforce.

I always find these days when dealing with the large majority of the younger generation, that they seem to have way more reasons why not to do something rather than giving it a go.
I thought that they were the technology generation when compared to the likes of me.
I sure do fear going into care one day.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Editing the the dxf file is a different question than "is it difficult to convert a CAD drawing to dxf files". Assuming you already have the dxf file, then you (or your cnc laser shop) would simply open the dxf file with their CAD program of choice and make the required edits. If you didn't already have "source file" (dxf or dwg file) and only had a printed drawing than you would need to recreate the drawing from scratch in CAD, then export as dxf.
Oddball
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Oddball »

adbuch wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:26 am Editing the the dxf file is a different question than "is it difficult to convert a CAD drawing to dxf files". Assuming you already have the dxf file, then you (or your cnc laser shop) would simply open the dxf file with their CAD program of choice and make the required edits. If you didn't already have "source file" (dxf or dwg file) and only had a printed drawing than you would need to recreate the drawing from scratch in CAD, then export as dxf.
Yes, they have the dfx files as they used them to cut out my first set of pieces.
I suggested to him draw my mods in CAD and convert them to dfx but was stone walled.
Yet today it is possible, seems I just got one of those guys on his bad day...
Hopefully after my phone call this morning and the lady stepping in we will be all good now.
I think that guy needs a vacation.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

He probably didn't know how to do it. For the "cad lady" it was "a piece of cake".
Step 1 - import the dxf to her cad program.
vise body 1.jpg
vise body 2.jpg
Step 2 - offset the slots from 0.385" wide to 0.260" wide to accommodate 1/4" bolts. Then export as revised dxf.

vise body 3.jpg
Repeat for the other files to match.
vise body 4.jpg

Oddball
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Oddball »

Yes, probably a nice guy on a sunday at church, but not that cleaver but likes to bluff like he would at his poker game on a week night...

Thanks for sharing your knowledge, I wish I had the opportunity to know a little more in that department.
Well, I give him his dues, he did do a geat job of eating humble pie on the telephone this morning.
Oddball
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Oddball »

Not much happening right now, was waiting for the laser guy and got my stuff, but hot weather has hit and no fun in the shop right now.
I mean it is southern AZ hot, maybe hotter some parts records have been broken with degrees C temperatures almost hitting 50.
So that is about 120F in your money!!!
I will post some progress of what Ive been up to self centering vice wise soon..
Oddball
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Oddball »

After assembling the pieces that comprise the self centering vice, I felt that one set of jaws were unable to hold a pipe tube firmly enough if used for a pipe notcher.
So, I got a second set of jaws cut and have chosen to place the end plates in the centre with jaws each side and then the rotating plates on the outside.
I've mocked it up and its seems much more capable of holding the tube work piece to my needs.
Take a look at the pictures and you can see what I'm talking about.
I'm also considering placing a spacer piece of 6mm plate in the centre between the end plates which I feel may even had further stability should it be required.
For now I see this setup as a solution to me needs at least.

adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Thanks for sharing your progress. It's also nice when the laser cutter gives you the round drops from the cuts. Those will come in handy for other projects.
David
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

I think spacers between the sets of jaws could add more stability. This would increase the total width of the vice. a different approach would be to assemble the parts like you placed 2 of the original design together. Plate, jaws, plate, jaws, maybe spacers between too with long bolts. the longer contact area on the tube may help.
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Oddball
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Oddball »

I know this may sound a little extravagant, but I decided to try another setup with the centre vise.
I like the idea of a double set of jaws, so I got my laser guy to cut me 2 sets of jaws out of stainless steel as well and a pair of those tear drop shaped rotating plates also out of stainless.
The rotation plates will be on the outside front and rear followed by a set of jaws each side and then a single centre plate that I got cut out of 16mm or about 5/8" thick mild steel plate to be located centerally.

I got them back more tha 10 days ago but have been busy with other stuff.
I'm about to start descaling and cleaning up the slots etc and soon hope to have a working model.
For now I have mocked it up and it is more to my personal liking.
I chose stainless steel simple for the sake of not needing paint externally and internally I will grease the surfaces.
20240226_111943.jpg

acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Keep plugging at it and you will be happy with your changes as part of the developing this project. Thanks for reporting your progress.
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill

Return to “DXF & SVG Plasma Cutting File Sharing Forum”