I want a fixture table

All topics related to fab & weld tables, grind stations, material handling & storage, etc.
Scratch
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

I want a fixture table

Post by Scratch »

I have a pretty beefy welding table that I really like. It has a one inch thick 48"x 72" top on it, that has a pretty good bow in it. I'd say at the worst spot it's almost 1/4" of bow and after all these years, I'd really like to get a flat table. Actually I want a flat fixture table is what I want. I want it to be at least 1/2" thick, and have 5/8" holes on a 4" grid. I have more time than money though so my options are controlled by my bank account.

1. Buy a complete cast, machined, fixture table like Fireball, Kovosu, Arcflat, etc... (My wallet is full of holes, so this is a hard pass)

2. Buy a kit table made from laser cut pieces that I weld together like a CertiFlat or from a bunch of other places that sell laser cut kits.

3. buy a 30 dollar set of plans for a kit table, then bring those to a laser cutter and have them cut me a kit.

4. Buy a 1/2" sheet of steel and drill the holes myself, then mount it to my table.

5. Have my 1" top blanchard ground then drill the holes myself and set it back on my table.

My table is made out of 2x2 1/4" wall tubing and has some good cross bracing on the top so I "think" I'd be ok for flatness if I were to go with option 4 or 5 and I don't think I'd need the vertical cross bracing like some of the "You weld" kits, but I guess I'm not sure. I also don't really care about the holes on the sides of those kit tables.

I don't have a problem drilling the holes and I have a good friend that already offered to let me borrow his mag drill. I'm trying to do this for as inexpensive as I can.

If I go with a "You Weld" kit I'm concerned that I'll have weld distortion, but I don't really hear much about distortion on those kit tables. Are those designed to lock in place pretty good and I don't really have to worry about distortion?

I imagine that buying a new sheet is probably about the same price as blanchard grinding my sheet, but I'll find out tomorrow when I call them.

I don't think I want to plasma cut the holes in my table. I want the holes and pattern to be very precise and I have noticed that my 18 year old table has started to lose a little bit of accuracy.

Any input from the masses?
I think I'm the oldest 10 year old boy on the forum...
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: I want a fixture table

Post by adbuch »

This is the one I use for fixturing. I think I paid $2499 each with free shipping probably 5 or 6 years ago.
Rhino Carts trick tools.jpg
https://www.trick-tools.com/StrongHand- ... 0-K1-10380

Then I added some additional tooling. You can click on the links below to see some pictures of some of the setups I have used with my Rhino Carts.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/SsDsKC4MvY7FEAkU6

https://photos.app.goo.gl/7xdUae3eoVWjbSrL7

I have a 1" thick steel welding table that I built about 40 years ago. I think it's about 30" x 72" in size, and it was a remnant from a much larger piece that I purchased from Superior Steel here in Tucson. I took my straight edge to check the remnants they had, and this one is actually very flat - probably or within 1/32" or less. Otherwise I was planning to have it blanchard ground. I didn't want to drill holes in it, other than the single 3/4" hole that I drilled in the center to add an eye bolt to lift it out of the truck when I brought it home from the steel supplier. I also use it as a work bench and don't want a bunch of holes in it where things can fall thru.
20171204_003116_resized.jpg
What will it cost to have your existing table blanchard ground? If it isn't too much, I think I would go ahead and do that and then drill some holes using a mag drill with annular cutters (not drill bits). The trick here will be to lay out your hole pattern very accurately to drill your holes. How accurate do you think you need your hole spacing and grid squareness? Also - what sorts of things do you intend to "fixture", and what sort of tolerances to you need to hold for the finished items? I think Tom will probably chime in and show us some of the diy tooling he has made.

David

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Last edited by adbuch on Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
SegoMan DeSigns
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SegoMan DeSigns »

Once upon a time I showed up to my favorite metal supplier.. Hey Steve we got something you may like! (Can you say platen table at scrape iron price? :Wow ) I had one ripped into pieces for the center section. I used slip tubing for pockets so it can be expanded as needed and vises ect, slid into place.

P6060026-lr.jpg
P6070004-lr.jpg
P8080024-lr.jpg

TJS

Post by TJS »

Check Out this thread. I made a vid. I made the fixture drilling plate then used my Mag drill. The vid shows how I use it. Yes it took quite a bit of time but satisfied with the results.

viewtopic.php?p=222530&hilit=mag+Drill#p222530
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

TJS wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:40 am Check Out this thread. I made a vid. I made the fixture drilling plate then used my Mag drill. The vid shows how I use it. Yes it took quite a bit of time but satisfied with the results.

viewtopic.php?p=222530&hilit=mag+Drill#p222530
I've watched your video a few times. It was very helpful. I see you went with 1/2" steel like I want to do. Do you think it's necessary to weld on the grid panels underneath with 1/2" thick plate? Assuming the frame of the table has enough grid work built into it...

I found a couple old pics I took of my table before I put the 1" top on. I can see where I would probably want to add in one more cross brace of 2X2 tubing near the front of this picture, but I don't know if it's really necessary to do a whole 6" grid pattern underneath like you did. What do you think? I don't think I'd ever use the holes on the edge of the table, but that's just me. Have you ever really used those edge holes on your table?
image1.jpg
table_11.jpg

adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Scratch - the table frame you show is more than sufficient to support any top you wish to add to it. Where you place your holes will depend on what particular tasks you intend to perform. My fixture tables (rhino carts) have holes out by the edges, and I do use these upon occasion. My tables are 30" x 48" and when I put them together I can get either 30" x 96" or 48" x 60" working surface. If you do use a fixture for drilling like TJ shows, be aware that there may be a cumulative error created as you work your way from one end of the table to the other - both in overall hole spacing and in squareness of your hole grid pattern.

David
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

adbuch wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:08 pm Scratch - the table frame you show is more than sufficient to support any top you wish to add to it. Where you place your holes will depend on what particular tasks you intend to perform. My fixture tables (rhino carts) have holes out by the edges, and I do use these upon occasion. My tables are 30" x 48" and when I put them together I can get either 30" x 96" or 48" x 60" working surface. If you do use a fixture for drilling like TJ shows, be aware that there may be a cumulative error created as you work your way from one end of the table to the other - both in overall hole spacing and in squareness of your hole grid pattern.

David
Thanks, by edge holes, I mean the holes that are drilled in the vertical surface around the perimeter of a lot of fixture tables. Not like your Rhino cart, but like this:
09CB9B11-7FB4-4AB4-9E40-A1BA736E2BD3.png

I don’t feel I would use that surface very much. I think those are more for modularity and being able to add on sections of tables and I think that my size of 48x60 should be enough for what I do.

Last edited by Scratch on Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

I agree! I would very rarely need holes for vertical mounting. I do have some special 90 degree brackets that came with my rhino cart to do just that - should the occasion arise. Yes - 4 ft. x 5 ft. sounds like a nice size working surface.

David
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Oops, I meant 48x72… that’s how big my table is now. I’m staying that size.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Scratch wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:24 pm Oops, I meant 48x72… that’s how big my table is now. I’m staying that size.
:Like :Like :Like
Joe Jones
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Joe Jones »

Maybe I am missing something here. I do not understand why a welder would need a "straight edge flat" table. You are WELDING, not building parts for space shuttles. If the pieces you are using are straight, and the corners you set up are square, what difference does it make, if the center of the table is slightly bowed? Trailer hitches, braces and brackets, construction saddles, bridge parts, etc. I do not recall anything mentioned in my welding school about having a perfectly flat surface to weld upon.

I don't know ... MAYBE now that parts are laser cut, the extra precision can be appreciated? I can weld a square frame resting on a pile of logs. I am not following this desire for laser straight surfaces on fixture tables.

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
6” Z Rail Lift Kit for PlasmaCam
CreatBot D600 PRO 3D Printer
12 Lasers
FREE DesignEdge Training!

It is more fun when it isn't necessary!
abmetal
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by abmetal »

I've been in design and fabrication for 45 years and I think those folks in the same profession would agree that one DOES need a FLAT surface to design and fab parts and assemblies. Saves time on shimming/measuring.

Allen
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

abmetal wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:42 am I've been in design and fabrication for 45 years and I think those folks in the same profession would agree that one DOES need a FLAT surface to design and fab parts and assemblies. Saves time on shimming/measuring.

Allen
I haven't done enough "precision" welding to know. I suppose if you are building stainless steel cabinets etc., you don't want the thing to go wonky. My welding days consisted of items where perfect alignment was less critical.

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
6” Z Rail Lift Kit for PlasmaCam
CreatBot D600 PRO 3D Printer
12 Lasers
FREE DesignEdge Training!

It is more fun when it isn't necessary!

Return to “Fab Tables, Grind Stations, Material Storage & Handling”